05 The Great 2020 Miami Caper

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic, Jivermo

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

05 The Great 2020 Miami Caper

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 12, 2020 4:04 pm

( prior installment 04 : viewtopic.php?f=79&t=14008#p234820 )

So yeah, Robbie of Air-Schooled.com is in town from California (asiab3 on the forum here) to work on some customer's bus nearby, you know he is a traveling VW mechanic, right? And Robbie and Ian (Jivermo) and I decide that it would be fun to resurrect Ian's old "Bugatti" that hasn't run in ten years at least. Why not put a day into it and see if we can improvise our way to a glorious resurrection of the VW chassis underneath, it is a VW, and if there is one thing I like doing, it is resurrecting an old VW to run once more.

We pretty much put a day into assessing its problems (steering wheel flopping on the driver's seat, not no hardly none electrical system not anywhere to be found nowhere, and a mystery engine sitting back there. Much improvisation ensued, some of it brilliant, some of it "questionable". Ian fabricated a steering coupler out of an old tire. I fabricated a bearing for the steering shaft using a band strap and an extant piece of white PVC screwed to a genuine dash"board" it was a board, a board with dash gauges, thus a dash"board" get it? Yeah, but it was no longer attached to the car's fiberglass body, and it did double duty as a steering column support, so we determined, after much discussion, that it was "important" to get that dashboard attached to the car.

The wiring was so very butchered that it really was nothing more than debris. Fuel lines? Battery? Fuel tank! We set to all necessary operations to give us a car that could stop, steer, start, and well ... we would see about "running" later.

Here, Robbie is zeroing in on getting the truck tire coupler line up between the steering box and the shaft that I am trying to "depth gauge" so I can DeWalt drill screw clamp the clamp that clamps the column to a nice dense part of the wood that makes up the dash"board" before it gets fitted to the car:

Did I mention the brakes? There were none.
(to be cont)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 05 The Great 2020 Miami Caper

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 26, 2020 12:47 pm

a necessary time stamp post to maintain chronology ...
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles