We're Calling This Done ...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

We're Calling This Done ...

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:23 pm

We're calling this 2019 Itinerary season done. It is actually sort of weird, perhaps due to advancing age, that time has stepped out ahead of me. I am not keeping up with the calendar. I have cancelled BusBassist, cheesehead, was cancelled by kleinevw, have not even attempted to chase down the North Carolina and Georgia calls, and have for the third time asked Jivermo to hold off a bit, he and exoticdvm, til January.

I am still (bloody but unbowed) giddy with simple joy that five customers all agreed to give me eight days at the end of August to allow me one last southwest blast up into the trees under the firmament.

Review if you will the NaranjaWesty streak through Taos and Los Alamos and San Diego and Los Angeles and on up back to Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Portland OR, Seattle, and that lovely little moment in Livingston MT with whc03grady and fam, Wisconsin Happyfolk, and Illinois after Michigan and New York with BusBassist and new cylinder heads in New Delhi after my day under cheesehead's new solar panel covered car cabana.

I have had good reason recently to ponder this Itinerary Life. When you are too close to a thing, you can't see it so well. I got caught up short on September 20th where a You Tube video-captured filch of an ice cream sandwich from a convenience store in Ohio burst forth onto the internet. I endured 48 long hours of the bleakest despairing sleepless appalled shame of my adult life. This Itinerary Life is over! It is over! But I loved it, I LOVED it, is it really over?

In my insomnia, the planned escape into immediate obscurity was well underway. An angel-who-doesn't-quite-own-it came flitting onto my phone screen at a gas station in Fort Oglethorpe GA and gently breathed a reminder that we all are all not so perfect and I must join the continuum of Humans right where I find myself. I guess one minute before 10:07PM on September 22nd, I was self-immolating hot shame, and one minute after, I was committed to rescuscitating all that I love.
Humans, can't live with them, can't live without them.

I tried to get back in the saddle with the BobD, and drove back into the remainder of the Itinerary, but no. I got the one critical call done in Aldie VA (honeybus!) and realized that I must, I must get off the road. Spirit is a lovely thing, joy is too, and they both have abundantly fueled seventeen years of this, this thing, but when they have taken leave, so must I take my leave.

I certainly have discovered my friends anew. Paradoxically, I have also discovered a self-respect brought to me courtesy of shame and the wise counsel of good friends.

After an appointment with Sylvester tomorrow morning then getting my teeth drilled out (root canal and two crowns) tomorrow afternoon, I head to Pensacola where I shall have the drawing board set up and functional by Monday October 14th. Then, please, can we get on to the next chapter of this unfolding story?
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Re: We're Calling This Done ...

Post by 71whitewesty » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:39 am

Let’s hit that next chapter. I’m looking forward to it. =D>

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:50 pm

Amen! To the drawing board, and beyond! That artwork just blows me away, and I must have a copy of your book, before I leave the planet. The Saran Wrap still holds on my ball joints, perhaps that is the way to go, and it’s a divine message; “Look! You can see the grease in there, it’s transparent!” So, not to worry...January, or ? The Big Fish get fried first, and I’ll take hush puppies with mine.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:48 pm

When reading this on my phone I was frustrated that the Types in the illustration were not 1-4-3-2 or 1-2-3-4 at least, but then I saw the reality of drawing all the engines, and not wanting to clutter the page with an extra Type 4 engine in those arrangements… Well done, and congrats on finishing another lap!

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Deanaha
I'm New!

Post by Deanaha » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:38 am

Ah Colin,
I am so glad I had a visit on the" last run", learned so much. I hope this forum continues, and we can still gain from you ( and others) knowledge and guidance. Take care
Deanah In TX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:34 am

Deanaha wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:38 am
Ah Colin,
I am so glad I had a visit on the" last run", learned so much. I hope this forum continues, and we can still gain from you ( and others) knowledge and guidance. Take care
Deanah In TX

Continuance is in the works. I have a winter layover task master aka sooty little angel who has promised to drag my donkey ass towards execution fruition of this website, my place in the Social Media, the book, the zines, the calendars, the rest.

I seriously want to help drive you towards mobility with Smokey and help figure out how make your other bus assume its place in the arc of VW history.
Colin

Deanaha
I'm New!

Post by Deanaha » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:40 am

Thanks, I think you just named the one bus "Smokey". I could not think of a name- but that fits so well. We both will keep going- one step at a time

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:40 am

Deanaha wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:40 am
Thanks, I think you just named the one bus "Smokey". I could not think of a name- but that fits so well.

We both will keep going- one step at a time
Lawdy yes ...^ ... one step at a time.
Colin

SamW
I'm New!

Post by SamW » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:54 pm

Happy that I was a part of this 2019 Itinerary and able to meet you, enjoy your company, and gain much needed valuable insight into the inner workings of my engine. I would still be struggling with "what next" if not for the guidance. I'm excited to see the next chapters and what comes from the winter break.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:47 am

SamW wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:54 pm
Happy that I was a part of this 2019 Itinerary and able to meet you, enjoy your company, and gain much needed valuable insight into the inner workings of my engine. I would still be struggling with "what next" if not for the guidance. I'm excited to see the next chapters and what comes from the winter break.
My PM inbox is open to all customers at all times, Sam. Your courageous and equinaminous Great Danes still resonate in here when I am having a sore knee moment.

One "next chapter" is occurring right here:

That's right, the kid is still jail.
Oh and timing scales are being painted once more for my Christmas Trinket Push to help pay for domain hosting fees and blahblahbailblahblah and registration. Bumper stickers, we'll knock some more out.

And what's this? What's this? Itinerant Piano Tuner at work. These uprights are tricky little devils. This is a good quality older Baldwin with unexpectedly nice bass strings (except the lowest C):

I am having a weekend symposeum with my Donkey Whisperer Task Master regarding all things book and internet and future, and may I just say that I am grateful for good friends ....

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:42 pm

This is a good quality older Baldwin with unexpectedly nice bass strings

Colin, Nice to see you back at the piano - and glad we got you to sit down at ours when you were in Rochester this past June.

Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:27 pm

BusBassist wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:42 pm
This is a good quality older Baldwin with unexpectedly nice bass strings
Colin, Nice to see you back at the piano -

Thank-you, Jeff. What a persnickity process this Baldwin requires. The strings anchor so close to the hammers that I can barely dampen the triple strings in sequence. The tune changes as the stresses on the frame change. The soundboard has been repaired with Elmers Wood Glue and we at least no longer have resonant rattles.

Here is a Vimeo of the last little 'toon recorded on the Steinway in Pahrump. Call it an ode to old-growth spruce.
Now there's some strings:

https://vimeo.com/367357957

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:34 pm

Is this you at the keyboard Colin?

Sounds like the damper pedal may need some adjustment.

And on another note, it’s nice to see the IAC book-production-team is anxiously engaged in moving your anticipated opus into fruition.
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:34 pm

BusBassist wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:34 pm

A) Is this you at the keyboard Colin?

B) Sounds like the damper pedal may need some adjustment.

C) And on another note, it’s nice to see the IAC book-production-team is anxiously engaged in moving your anticipated opus into fruition.
a) Yes.

b) adjusted, it is the 1913 felt damper pads grooved past the range of the pedal

c) more to come ....

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:29 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:34 pm