Back in Burbank

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tommu
Old School!

Back in Burbank

Post by tommu » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:09 pm

This year's visit wanted to be a calm, relaxed tinkering visit instead of the last couple of serious clock fighting marathons. Colin arrived early. Yes he did. My son greeted him with a cheery “hello Robbie!” and Colin then demanded no less than 4 shots of coffee. We started the day with a drive in the Karmann Ghia. I’ve been slowly trying to bring it back up to a smooth, fun and easy car. I needed an insightful diagnostic health check from someone who’d know what’s what. Colin told me that it drove like a Volkswagen. High praise.

From there I pointed out the odd angle of the of Gary’s rear wheel, had a chat about spring plate bushings. I then noted that the rear window seal looked a bit ropey and I had a nice new seal ready to fit. So we pulled the rear window out. And frowned. Water had been getting inside the seal for a while and the lower left corner had lost some pinch weld to rust. We proceeded to remove as much rust as we could and then neutralized with some Mar-Hyde One-Step. https://i.imgur.com/6vbJDgG.jpg We prepped the worst scarring with a light Bondo. Painted with primer and reinstalled the window.

Image Image

I need to monitor for any water seepage where the pinch weld was nibbled away.

In-between the rear seal prep, prime, and fit, we tuned and took Gary for a road test. We richened the mixture a few cogs back from SMOG test lean and welcomed some creamy smooth driving. This year was a real pleasure, we had time for a some food and a drink before Colin made his way down to Encinitas.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: Back in Burbank

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:40 am

tommu wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:09 pm
That's a pretty picture right there! :thumbleft:
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Back in Burbank

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:07 pm

The lovely Karmann Ghia at tommu's house .. .. .. :

.. .. .. had an issue with battery tray rust:

Don't worry, tommu is on it. But how about this rear window rust on Gary the taigagrun Westy? Sure, it had Por 15 smeared on the visible exterior areas, but we, you and I, know rust likes to hide:

Had to use BONDO and build a form:

I spied an AIR-CONDITIONING COMPRESSOR installed in Gary the Taigagrun so tommu won't have to suffer any ... perspiration.

The window is in! We are happy! This car drove pretty well, the engine is smooth, perseverence pays!

We are pretending that we did not see any bondo come out with the installation cord:

Excellent visit, excellent coffee, excellent octopus!
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles