White Westies In Hood River OR

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

71whitewesty
Addicted!

White Westies In Hood River OR

Post by 71whitewesty » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Well I just looked and my first appt with Colin was 2013 in Maupin, OR, so this was visit #7! Geez, time flies by....

Another great visit this year. I had all three buses lined up with a short list of items to check on. Nothing major and most of our time was focused on replacing the windshield seal and rust eradication on Bus 2. That one would be the easier of the two Westys and figured I'd warm up to it with the easier one first. Basically been scared to death to do this because I fear the worst in the rust dept.
Well Bus 2 wasn't so bad. A couple small holes but no cutting out metal or anything like that. Just some rust conversion, sanding, priming and....that's where it is right now. I have ordered some paint and have decided to also paint the dash while I'm at it. (I ordered L43 from Wolfsburg West for the dash, anyone know if that's a close match?). I plan to paint the dash in place with some careful taping and covering the speaker holes from underneath.
I had a windshield seal already and so far haven't broken the original windshield yet. It has a couple of dings on it already so I'm prepared emotionally if it does break. We put the seal on and it's just sitting there waiting to be put back in after painting it. The windshield work takes time for paint to dry etc, so it's not a one day job for me which I expected. But it's out and we're doing it and I'm happy to get this well on it's way.
We also checked for exhaust leaks on Bus 2 because it's starting to sound a little raspy. We decided that there are no leaks but just a muffler with 45k on it and it's probably time to just replace it. Bus 2 is still running like a top but notice a little smoke when cold. It's been sitting a lot this summer so that doesn't worry me but I'm always curious how many miles I'll get out of it. This is my first Headflow Masters long block and it's been just great and lasted long enough so far that I'm happy as heck with it. Still doesn't leak any oil either.

On Bus 1 we checked ball joint play. It checked out just fine and I was surprised because I've never given them any thought in the 11 years I've owned this Bus. We also tuned the carb adjustments a bit. I have a slight hesitation on take off with it and we smoothed that out a bit. Still a little hesitation I noticed after driving it a bit more. But it's running smoother and the hesitation is pretty minor. I have Bus 2 to compare with and to get them both running exactly the same is tricky. They are identical engines with rebuilt carbs and distributors etc. I think they both run excellent but Bus 2 has a better idle and absolutely no hesitation on take off. Bus 2 has a lot more miles on the engine too (about 45k) Bus 1 now has about 6 or 7k on the engine which is another Headflow Masters long block. I just started to notice a drop or two of oil after a drive with Bus 1 so we checked that out and I think I found the issues which was a loose generator stand. One nut wasn't even finger tight. So that was an easy fix. We will take Bus 1 on our annual family road trip this year after taking Bus 2 for the last 4 or 5 years but either Bus is totally ready for any kind of trip (once I get that windshield back in Bus 2).

Now Bus 3 was started again for the first time since last years visit. I brought it out of the field and washed all the crap that starts to grow on these when they are sitting out to pasture. The mice have moved in and I have several traps set in there all the time and I check them every few weeks and alway have at least one caught in the trap. But the smell is not great and needs a full cleaning etc. It actually started right up and runs on 3 cylinders nowadays. I have another engine for it too when I decide to put more time in this one. After washing it and as time goes by I realize it's not a bad bus, needs some love for sure but really it's a decent start for a tin top project. It's good to bring it out of the field every once in a while. I think I'll mess with it more over the winter. But we gave this no love on this years visit because we had other more important things to do. So it just sat there, patiently waiting for someone to love it....next year....maybe.

I think that about covers our day. I enjoyed it as always and learned a bit more about the Bus, as always, and am left with a little more motivation to tackle windshield replacement and deal with the unknown that lies underneath that seal.
Thank you Colin for what you do. It's the perfect service for a guy like me.

( I hope to insert pics soon...)
(Quick side note, Robbie, you have a way of posting pictures here from your phone, how do you do it again? It's easy but I post pics so infrequently that I can't remember...
I'll add the pictures when I learn how again. )

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: White Westies In Hood River OR

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:29 am

71whitewesty wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:37 pm
visit #7!
all three buses lined up
Bus 2 rust conversion, sanding, priming and....that's where it is right now.
We decided that there are no leaks but just a muffler with 45k on it

Bus 1 we checked ball joint play.
tuned the carb adjustments Still a little hesitation
drop or two of oil after a drive I think I found the issue a loose generator stand nut easy fix.

We will take Bus 1 on our annual family road trip this year after taking Bus 2 for the last 4 or 5 years
Bus 2 has a better idle and absolutely no hesitation on take off.

Bus 3 was started again for the first time since last years visit. I brought it out of the field and washed all the crap that starts to grow on these when they are sitting out to pasture. The smell is not great and needs a full cleaning etc. It actually started right up and runs on 3 cylinders nowadays.
it's not a bad bus, needs some love ....next year....maybe.

(Robbie ... I'll add the pictures when I learn how again. )

Drove up the Columbia River Gorge at night immediately after the Lucky Lab blast, so no photographs of beautiful stretch of road outbound to Hood River. Pulled up to a now-familiar sight to me, but hopefully an astonishing one to the un-initiated:

71whitewesty is the quintessential Itinerant Air-Cooled customer. He drives his Volkswagens and he works on his Volkswagens and his family participates in vast epic traveling adventures. His kids are lucky. So is he. They are lovely kids. You figure it out.

The possible exhaust "leak" was actually blown out baffles inside of the muffler. That gives you a muffler that doesn't muffle very well, and you think the loudness is coming from a hole, but a rag over the tailpipe quieted it right down. New German Muffler time!

It was a pleasure to attack Bus 2 with a razor blade and remove the windshield, because it gave us answers instead of nervous speculations. That is the thing. Answers are better than speculations. Why imagine all the horrible rust developing under the tatty windshield seal when you can look at it first-hand? You know what? It really wasn't bad:

This is a worthy photograph just for the visual play:

Here, 71whitewesty tapes the dashboard in preparation for primer. We already ground down the friable rust and applied rust-catalyzing primer, then sanded the surface for the bondo:

We used the Belle Plaine patented foam applicator method, and it laid down an easy coat of grey primer which 71whitewesty will follow with topcoat and windshield re-installation, a family affair:

It was a relief to see how good the channel actually was. I look forward to his newfound confidence to tackle Bus 1's windshield, seal, and channel:

This 71whitewesty 1971 White Westies Experience is a treasure for the Volkswagen community.
Meanwhile, I had to hie back to Portland for the two subsequent appointments. This time, I had sunlight to illuminate the Columbia River Gorge:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:16 pm

Ready to put the windshield back in today.
The L90d pastel white and the L 43 grey/black for the dash arrived yesterday so I’ve been painting away. The L43 is a perfect match for the dash color. And the L90d is also a very good match. Paint is from Wolfsburg West.
So back to the windshield. Been having a hell of a time actually. In and out 4 times because we loose the seal when pulling the rope. Can’t get it to seat in its place. Sooo, close but can’t get it on all the way. Finally broke the original glass and now on to one I had that’s has one ding in it. So far it hasn’t broke but it’s not in either. Tried starting from the top and then the bottom and also just shoving it straight in, . That last bit just won’t seat. So we gave up after 4 hours of trying with my son inside pulling rope and me outside getting sore hands from pounding so much. I would think this new windshield could be a little off but was the same with the original too, exactly.
Anyone experience this or have any tips?
Just about to do a little internet searching on it. :scratch:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:40 pm

71whitewesty wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:16 pm
Ready to put the windshield back in today.
The L90d pastel white and the L 43 grey/black for the dash arrived yesterday so I’ve been painting away. The L43 is a perfect match for the dash color. And the L90d is also a very good match. Paint is from Wolfsburg West.
So back to the windshield. Been having a hell of a time actually. In and out 4 times because we loose the seal when pulling the rope. Can’t get it to seat in its place. Sooo, close but can’t get it on all the way. Finally broke the original glass and now on to one I had that’s has one ding in it. So far it hasn’t broke but it’s not in either. Tried starting from the top and then the bottom and also just shoving it straight in, . That last bit just won’t seat. So we gave up after 4 hours of trying with my son inside pulling rope and me outside getting sore hands from pounding so much. I would think this new windshield could be a little off but was the same with the original too, exactly.
Anyone experience this or have any tips?
Just about to do a little internet searching on it. :scratch:

No pounding! That is in the rules. The most common neophyte error is to press against the windshield too close to the poor rope puller. You should have an easy enough time starting at the bottom. The windshield HAS to sit down fully on the pinchweld with no rope along the bottom (because you already pulled it!) as described when I was there, or you will never get it to fit in the opening! As your able young assistant pulls up along the sides equally, YOU keep the windshield in its enclosure so you barely see any stripes sticking out. Let the rope do the work. You know it can't be flush with a rope in the groove. But, as the rope is pulled, the groove is free to walk over the pinch weld, which is all that it has to do. You will see the windshield install itself, suck on in as the rope leaves the groove and brings the lip over the pinchweld. I wish I was there.

When you get to the upper corners, don't even push in and my god don't pound, just keep a good down pressure (like we discussed with the lip of the seal having to squirt out a little at the bottom) but not too much in pressure or the rope puller is going to stall out and quit on you. Equal increments of 3" at a time. Yes there is effort. The rope puller needs to wrap hands with a towel and wrap the rope around hands. Slow, easy, no great push near the rope or it will bind.

Here! Motivation! The last windshield installer:

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:17 pm

Pictures? I upload to TheSamba and copy thing links here; the forum embed code is the same.

Nice going getting the rust taken care of before it requires expensive metal work. Maintence is when you tackle a job early. Repair is when your car tells you to tackle a job. :)

The L43 is fantastic in color. The WW paint in my general experience doesn’t dry very flat, and always requires color sanding to make it look as good as the originals. Get some wet 800-1200-2000 sand paper on it before the glass goes in! Hope you painted thick!

Robbie

PS- looking for a white tin top early bay around January.......
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:42 am

Thanks for the tips. I gotta say this has been a real pain in the ass. I’ve read every thread I can find on it and some folks just pop it in and out like nothing. Mine is not going to just slip in. I really do have sore hands from slapping that sucker so much. My helper leaves today for a 5 day camp and there is no f-ing way I can do this solo. I think my seal is good. It looks great when I have it almost in but the last bit is still too far from the pinch weld to get the rubber over it. I might try again this morning before he leaves but otherwise I’m thinking about hiring someone... :scratch:

But want to add that the 8 year old in the picture above is one tough chick. Pulling the string is not easy either. =D>

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:29 am

...and we just broke the second windshield....
I think I’m done here and calling in the pros...
We were so friggen close this time too.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:52 pm

71whitewesty wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:29 am
...and we just broke the second windshield....
I think I’m done here and calling in the pros...
We were so friggen close this time too.
Oh, I am sorry. I think I need to make it a policy to split the windshield channel people into two visits so I can be there to help with the windshield. You were putting in a factory used windshield, yes? They have to fit. I did a Chinese F/S windshield in Chloe that was too big (!) so I sanded it down at the tight spots, then it went in.
Hey Sean, make sure the pro gets it in all the way!
Colin

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:59 am

So just wanted to report back that I did wimp out and called the pros for a new windshield install. All the prep looks good I think. They got it in on the second try. It wasn’t easy for them either and actually took three of us to do it, 2 pushing from the outside and the string puller on the inside. They used a can of window cleaner for the lube. They also pushed the window straight in as much as they could and then started pulling the string which I is how I almost got it in my self. They didn’t start with the bottom or top in first like I’ve read and tried as well. No grinding needed on the FYU brand window. It was tight but I’ve got to say it fits really well. The seal is snug all the way around, no corner gaps or anything. Real happy to have tackled this job with some encouragement from Colin to get on it.
I’ll dig into Bus 1’s windshield this fall.
Cost was $263 for the windshield and mobile install at my house the next day. The other guy in town was $225 but booked out a week. I think well worth it just for the fact that if they break it, they replace it. I think I could do it myself now but this is one thing I don’t mind farming out.
And yes, I have pictures to add still. I’ll get to it... :joker:

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:28 am

After breaking 2 I had to go that route a few years ago as well.
I could only find 1 company in Atlanta that would even do the install.

He went through 3 before getting it in..
60 beetle
78 bus

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:04 pm

Pictures! I promised pictures. Let’s try a test one first.

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:15 pm

Ok works like a charm to host them on The samba.
This will be just a pictorial since things were outlined above.
Yeah, Colin is here to save the day!

Took out the original which did have a few chips but I would have reused it had it not cracked.

Broke the original...

Then broke my back up that had one chip. It didn’t break at the chip...victim of a rubber mallet.

But the new one fits like a glove

All done and so glad to tackle this one. :salute:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:45 pm

If I am in the area, WE are putting in a windshield together!
But, please enjoy your interlude meantime ...

Such a wan face on your child with those windshield installation fails. Good lesson in perseverence and knowing when to call in reinforcements.

I see that the seal was NOT pulled up equally on both sides, causing a terrible torsional load on the glass at the upper right corner.
Colin ; )

(p.s. that dash and topcoat look excellent in the pictures)

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:32 am

With respect to windshield installations... I have a done a few, with mixed success.

Last summer, I had three buses that all needed new windshields, and I decided that I would just call up a professional installer to do the job. I used Speedy Glass in Santa Fe, who has supplied all my windshields over the years, at under $100 apiece.

The Speedy Glass guy came, and I just let him do his work. At the end of the morning, he was done. He had installed 3 windshields, and even added the "chrome" trim to the '72 deluxe rubber on the Sportsmobile. He did all 3 just by himself and did a great job, and quick, too.

So, call me a wimp, but I was very happy with the service!
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:40 am

jtauxe wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:32 am
So, call me a wimp,

OK. Wimp.
Now what?
It is nice to have windshield installation in your road-going tool kit for those unexpectedly damp moments.

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=12100#p208388