The Lull Before The Storm ...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tewa3240
I'm New!

Re: The Lull Before The Storm ...

Post by tewa3240 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:39 pm

If I may be so bold, could you field a Type IV with AMC heads & solid lifter configuration?
With a Death Valley heat check included? My theory being a dedicated operator with .006" lash should
be able to go where ever they desire with little drama. ( I realize I may be ordering off-menu but wth.)

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:03 pm

It astounds me you would consider anything else when you have a Westy available.

Then again, you could get 40 mpg at 80 mph in air conditioned comfort in a 1.5 liter turbo Chevy Malibu, stay in hotels, and be money ahead. But where's the challenge in that?
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

SamW
I'm New!

Post by SamW » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:37 pm

I vote selfishly for NaranjaWesty since she looks most like my Ernie and I would love to see what a completed one looks like (inside & out) for ideas on how to finish (start, really). Looking forward to your visit to St. Louis! I also agree with Kit that orange brings smiles.

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:28 pm

I want to see BobD on the road again.
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:54 pm

Naranja makes the most sense at Maupin, BobD makes the most sense to remind everyone of VW potential, and Chloe makes the most sense floored in Death Valley, which you've skipped since the Obama administration!

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:50 am

Oh ouch damn, I hate making decisions! I love all of them. Each makes the Itinerary have a specific respective flavor.

My spirit says Chloe, slow, measured, tough old boot with that willing little engine just warming my heart.

My psyche says BobD, ambassador of amazing factory original excellence.

My Old Man Are You Kidding Me? Camping At 60? says NaranjaWesty which accounts for itself with the most civilized quiet on the road.

I thank all of you for your input. At this time, the schedule is getting pushed inexorably later and Maupin is looking way less likely, very less likely. .... all this swag I was gonna shove mercilessly on people!

Robbie, I have a generator/fan in a custom modular hole-punched-for-generator stacked-styrofoam box. I want to send it to you. Address.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:23 am

Perhaps I should expand my clientele ...

We had a customer (Rodney The Pilot - the home owner who takes care of the Lionel Kid) in need of a couple new wheel bearings and axle shafts for a 2002 Chevy Camaro Z28.
"Do you know what you are doing?"
"Oh, absolutely not."
Went to the internet and viewed a couple of online tutorials, read a couple of Camaro forums, got a general impression, and tore into this 86,000 mile Camaro.

The axles are held to the car with two circlips, no really, the bearings do not retain the axles in any way:

In no time we had the brake assemblies off, the axle shafts removed, and the bearings visible:

Now have a look here. This automobile sits on two little roller bearings that ride directly on the axle shafts. The axle shafts have a "hardened" surface where the bearings roll around all day. Well, when you wear through the "hardened" surface, you get more wear still, and galling even:

We borrowed a slide hammer bearing puller from AutoZone and prepared it to yank that bearing out:

It exploded into tangled bearing cage/rollers rolling about all over the place, but hey, Bud here, he's on this:

What I learned anew is how much I respect the robust engineering in air-cooled Volkswagens, the beautifully chamfered bores, the sturdy circlips that hold in the double ball/roller axle bearings, the beviled threads in the bolts that allow an easy start to threading, the axle shafts that are held in with serious shoulders and wheel hubs that are bolted up to 253 ft/lbs, the dense German steel ...

But the Camaro was easy, and it runs quiet, and Rodney The Pilot loves his wheels you can tell.
Collie's Camaro Corral has put an 86,000 mile guarantee on this wheel bearing replacement.
ColinNoRelationToThisCollieFellow

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:15 pm

Nice Hat!
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:22 pm

BusBassist wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:15 pm
Nice Hat!
MCGA!
Make Chevys Grate Axleshafts

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:41 pm

My wife had a 1998 Chevy Camaro convertible with a V6 and a standard transmission; after I rebuilt the suspension replaced the sway bar with a beefier one that thing handled like a dream. Sold it when the kid started to do traveling sports in high school. Been looking for one for the last couple years, but finding a droptop with a six cylinder and a standard shift has been challenging
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:31 pm

You know? It hasn't really been a lull at all.

Just finished this art project that has been keeping me glued to the drawing board with strained eye and neck muscle. Comic book characters!

What I have been doing is tracing xeroxes onto fresh card stock. Then the artist will fully fill them in and sell them at ComicCon. She hates drawing cats, for good reason, so I overdo the cats for Cat Woman. Then I get yelled at for going over the top.

Back to Volkswagen art and Volkswagen wrenching!
Colin

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:34 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:09 am
Stuck at the drawing board still, filling in appointment slots and trying to build a sensible path across the country, staring at this growing collection of stickers ...

(ahem),

Colin

that is a good quality German company shirt you are sporting there! (Dynacord)
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:55 pm

weisswurst wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:34 am
that is a good quality German company shirt you are sporting there! (Dynacord)

Why thank-you. Not a bad German car there, either.
Colin

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:31 am

Super heroes, by nature, are a little over the top, aren't they? So I think your cats are just right.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:02 pm

Oh, man...I see the Spirit there,in that bunch! Damn good rendition of that complex hero. Will Eisner was a terrific artist, and the Spirit stories were just completely incomprehensible to me. But...I loved his drawings. I know! I want a Spirit drawing, with him driving a Westy bay camper, speeding down Mulholland Drive, shooting with a heavy automatic pistol at criminals fleeing in a 1940 Ford coupe. Huh, huh? Wouldja,wouldja?