Itinerant Air-Cooled Back At Drawing Board

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Back At Drawing Board

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:00 pm

NaranjaWesty gave me such a nice reliable trip down through the Weisswurst BillyGoat Kid Mill to Miami, that I knew something was up. When and where is NaranjaWesty going to remind me that I am but a lowly butl . . . ? oh, here, now, Interstate 75 Sarasota in the 82* afternoon in a traffic jam while I am in the left lane through a messy construction zone. Yes, we are coming up to a concrete barrier just a few feet from my left mirror and the engine starts bucking and coughing and it is clutch-in, we need some coast. Not enough to get me past the concrete barrier as it turns out. Stuck in the left lane with already potentially irate motorists behind me, I turn on the flashers and grab the fuel clamp socket, the hose pinch, the magnetic dish, and we are going to clean out the fuel filter in four minutes flat all the way from alight to embark. The hose clamps were glad to see me, the filter was "hello old friend!" I was done in three minutes, and the filter was pretty much "clean" by anybody's standards. Dang. I wanted an easy one. Cuz I deserved IT. Turned on the ignition, went to the AFM, I could hear relays clicking as they should, but I could not discern the sound of the fuel pump over the traffic just inches from my open sliding door. "Frick! I need the gauge to determine if the fuel pump is turning on."
Got the gauge and the little screwdriver .. .. ..
(REMEMBER? I lost the little 7mm bolt in Wyoming with that cop who left just before the thunderstorm?)
https://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewto ... 15#p221758
.. .. .. to carefully remove the choke cover screw-come-fuel rail test port. As I loosened the screw, I saw fuel begin to fizz out. But then it SPIT. Ha ha! Vapor lock! Stopped loosening the screw, waited until the fizzzz spithp fizzzz spifplfff ffft ffft pfffsssh had subsided, tightened the screw, put away the towel, the gauge, the fuel clamp socket and the hose pinch. Ran the fuel pump ( I knew it was working, there was pressure at the rail) and the car started right up. Drove across five laden lanes of carscarscars minus one butthead in a Chevy pick-up who accelerated to block off my merge, drove onto the right shoulder, passed the pick-up now stopped in the traffic jam, which enraaaaaaaaaged its driver, and daintily motored up the exit ramp like that was my plan . . . because it was. Filled up with ethanol-free fuel to increase the boiling point temperature, promised to not let the tank go below half (the fuel tank quantity is a "cool sink" and I needed more of it to cool off the fuel coming in from the engine return line). And NaranjaWesty was done toying with me and gave me a decent 17.6 mpg at 25-35 mph during the traffic jam.

I was on my way to Panama City to check out an engine for jtauxe, a late model doublecab pick-up with a later 1600 upright engine with all of the tins and the correct air filter even. As I drove down FL-22, I noticed that people were pretty casual with their upkeep around here not to mention oblivious to the most basic of roof maintenance:

Could not see one house-proud home owner trying to show off in the face of very casual neighbors, everybody was in on this "very casual february."

Even the local church was taking A Day of Rest a bit too far:

Then I remembered. This is exactly where Category 4 Hurricane Michael slammed into the Florida panhandle on October 10th with eyewall speeds of 155 mph. I was in Calimesa CA that day, on my way to visit with tommu. The devastation only got worse as I drove toward Mexico Beach.

Can you imagine hearing these trees get cracked in half in a screaming wind outside of your trailer home for hours? My nerves would be shot:

My nerves were shot anyway. Do you think the guy who gave me the address even mentioned that the landscape was blown to smithereens or perhaps a friendly "you might not see any street signs, they're all gone." Nope. Asked for directions seven times in two miles. People were friendly. Why not? They are out of their usual life habit box and work is probably being more tolerant. The electric company guy was expansive.

As I sat across the address I guessed at, this drove up. Can you imagine? Such a plucky little VW all ready to help restore the town?

These are good-driving cars, and I remember a serious three years of driving my uncle's white doublecab at Hill & Vaughn on Los Angeles freeways, often overloaded and begging the brakes to brake.

Since this is a late-model bus, it has the Type 4 engine compartment surround, and a modified engine carrier that bolts up directly to the crankcase and has these little rubber mounts at the ends of the carrier:

Engine uses a tortured-looking airbox with preheater, and the early bay rubber air intake duct to the carburetor and the same buckle and bracket as fuel-injected bus air filters All familiar but different:

What I especially noted was that the tins all lay against and met up with each other flawlessly. This engine has been treated with respect:

Mexican heads. Good condition. This was a "buy" recommendation:

Then I drove back to Pensacola, pulled into the garage, and fell asleep with elbows on the steering wheel spokes. Woke up with a cricked neck, glad to be surrounded by intact trees.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Back At Drawing Board

Post by hippiewannabe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:02 pm

On the topic of "back at the drawing board". I was randomly reminded of your efforts to get this book out of your head and on to the market when I thought of the "Say Smokey" series in Popular Science when I was a kid. It occurred to me that many authors have compiled books out of a collection of periodical articles accumulated over the years. I think a periodical like Hot VW's would have room for a beautifully illustrated monthly technical article on the type of topics you have designated for your chapters and subchapters. Rather than hold everything created over the last 10-15 years plus the next 5-10 years until you can get the whole thing done, maybe publish something every month, get a little cash flow going, and stack up the chapters for later release?
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:19 pm

Good idea. patreon Could work well too.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:48 pm

tommu wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:19 pm
Good idea. patreon Could work well too.
I second this.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Yes, Robbie - me too!
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:32 pm

BusBassist wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:03 pm
Yes, Robbie - me too!

I have a possible . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . publisher who might be . . . . . . . . . . . . . interested in turning the Itineraries into a "zine" format. Book? Book needs a little kickinthebutt, and I have been getting it. However, you don't get Itineraries any more if I go in.
Colin :blackeye:

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:58 pm

However, you don't get Itineraries any more if I go in.

Hmmmm- Do you mean written itineraries or LAP itineraries?

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:20 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:32 pm
Colin :blackeye:
wonder how many more people and buses would benefit for years to come if you published a proper book?
60 beetle
78 bus

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:43 pm

This is a tough call. I’ve been the beneficiary of only one visit from Colin and it was invaluable. And I’m greatly anticipating visit number two this year (and so on in perpetuity).
A book is also great but not personalized and exactly specific like a real visit where Colin (and his perfect VW bus specimen) is right in front of you.

I’m hoping that both a book AND Colin’s visits can co-exist.

Just my .02

JC

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:58 pm

BusBassist wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:58 pm

Ha! Will Colin still make his Spontaneous Rain-Avoiding West Coast trips if he settles down and writes a book?

I also volunteer as your first traveling book/timing scale/sticker salesperson.
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:33 am

asiab3 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:58 pm
BusBassist wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:58 pm

Ha! Will Colin still make his Spontaneous Rain-Avoiding West Coast trips if he settles down and writes a book?

I also volunteer as your first traveling book/timing scale/sticker salesperson.
Robbie

Good points ... there is no doubt that I still have a raging infection of Hit The Road. I have been discussing with a publisher the idea of doing a series of "zines" devoted to Itinerary travels and stories. Doled out, they could fill in the two solid years I need to finish the book. I love these publisher people who are so devoted to real paper, real books, that I had to sell them on the e-book because I am so devoted to my little "easter eggs" and the beauty of a backlit illustration on a real monitor. "Don't fall in love with your own art." Well ... that is good advice.

Since I need to hit to hit the road for spirit replenishment, I would do five visits to difficult trouble-shooting predicaments where people are on their last nerve.

Robbie, if there is a market for my art and such, I would be happy to usher you in ...
Colin

Deanaha
I'm New!

Post by Deanaha » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:15 am

I have not had a visit yet but would miss that opportunity if they go away. But I would also love a book that puts everything together.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:32 am

Deanaha wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:15 am
I have not had a visit yet but would miss that opportunity if they go away. But I would also love a book that puts everything together.

Are you are still interested in it when I explain that it is not a "how-to-fix" manual, but more of a how-it-works tour through the engineering?
Colin

Deanaha
I'm New!

Post by Deanaha » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:26 am

Anything that helps me learn is valuable.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:28 pm

Deanaha wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:26 am
Anything that helps me learn is valuable.
Then you get a one-on-one visit this summer, ten hours of your Volkswagen and You.
Colin
(do I have your triaged List of Concerns in my PM inbox?)

a) what model of Volkswagen you own, any modifications?
b) List of Concerns from most-important to least-important
(every one of them, we'll edit later)
c) rundown of your mechanical aptitude, things you'd like to learn?
d) work environment rain-proof and/or plan b for a rainy day?
e) is this a Road Warrior or a weekend putterer?