Walkabout - escape

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Walkabout - escape

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:58 am

Lordy lordy, have I blown a fuse. I was so done with the hubbub of the northeast and the heartaches of inexplicable people and circumstances and the rain! and the bugs! and the humidity! and the brutal punishment of horrible potholes and crumbling roads that poor NaranjaWesty has been subjected to. So, when the engine started cutting out on the worst of the savage impacts on New Jersey Route 4, I friggen decided (swore) to drive to Texas. I escaped (with my life apparently) over the new Tappan Zee Bridge ... (NYT article just published yesterday):

nytimes.com/2018/09/08/nyregion/old-tappan-zee-bridge-collapse
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/08/nyre ... lapse.html

From the article, "Mr. Cuomo lauded the new bridge as a testament to 'New York’s greatness'". How about a little less "great" and a little more competence, you know?

I could have told them this wasn't going to end well:

Anyways, yes, of course, it was raining:

Camped somewhere in Pennsylvania in the rain. Next day looked a little sunnier. I needed that. I also needed better roads, but that was not to be. We Americans are like frogs slowly getting boiled alive, we just don't seem to see the infrastructure decay surrounding us:

I can't even remember where this was, Delaware Water Gap?

Headed across Maryland/West Virginia on I-68 with only one goal. Sunshine, more than one day in ten:

But the rain still fired up at least once a day:

I-68 is quite beautiful, nonetheless, and there were some hill climbs even:

Eventually trusted the roads enough by Morgantown WV to re-inflate my suffering tires back up to 37/47 from their northeast 32/43.

Was dealing with some unique CHT readings where NaranjaWesty was doing the old hyper-cool 370* under full load (with bucking even, as it cooled down too far). Leaning out the fuel mixture hardly seemed to help. I would get lean hesitation and slow idle on surface streets, but out on the highway, it would behave too rich. Fuel economy was a pretty lousy 14 or so.

Finally pulled over at the Ohio border and pulled the TS2 sensor out. Cleaned the threads. Applied dielectric grease to the spade connector and the threads. Snugged it up. Got 21 mpg on my next fill-up and no more bucking or hesitation. Pretty good huh? Yeah, except for new stubborn high head temps under load. So, I had to slowly revert the AFM back towards my desert settings. We are now at 17 mpg and 400*s at 60 mph and high spikes of 420 on long uphills at about 85* ambient. Good enough! I have an escape in progress.

Rustled up a call in Saint Louis to help finance my flee. Look at this lovely low-mileage 1974 orange Westfalia . . . :

Did you notice the rain drops? Yes, God sent the remnants of a hurricane to Saint Louis to greet me on my escape to find sunshine. It is 68* and rainy as I type. Imagine this interior as you wake up on a chilly rainy grey morning:

With great gladness, I greeted the factory dual carbs and noted the second excellent emissions sticker within the past three days:

Look, the last original 60mm air filter intake hose in the land:

We had a good solid day of newbie training on tune-up particulars, valve adjustment, points, timing, carburetion, and two excellent poodles and three vital children, and it is good to wrest another fine Volkswagen from the clutches of "professional" mechanics:

Excellent to meet you McCandmore or Less . . . I will apprise you all of my plans in the next couple of days. I already have an exciting new procedure to make your late model bus doors stay open. There are projects dreamed up, just waiting for, my god, a few sunny days in a row.
ColinInSaintLouisMO
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Re: Walkabout - escape

Post by BusBassist » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Colin,

You seem to be a rain magnet this season. I was curious and checked the weather in St. Louis and when I saw rain in the forecast, I felt for you.

Looks like the last leg of the lap took a last minute turn. I hope the walkabout goes well and provides some well deserved rejuvenation.

Oh, and since you were here in Western NY, we’ve had no rain - at least the barn near Holley is dry. Perhaps the landlord has repaired the roof.

Travel well and for pity's sake, let’s hope for some dry weather.

Sending Good Vibes,

Jeff
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

Mccandmore
I'm New!

Post by Mccandmore » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:45 am

It was excellent to meet you too and what a fantastic day. (While it was not completely dry it was at least nice and cool, which is not typical for St. Louis even in September.)

Thank you for all the knowledge you imparted and for your patience for my many questions, my timidity during some of the tasks at hand and my barking dogs. My confidence in doing my own work is much improved and I have a good list of items to address in the long term and the near term (anyone have lower engine tins for a ’74 for sale?).

I’d meant to have my kids take a few pictures of your visit that I could share but I was so caught up in everything that I completely forgot. I’m already looking forward to next summer’s Itinerary.

Enjoy your walkabout and wishing you drier times.

Steve

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:58 am

Looks like it. Stream capture: fascinating.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:03 pm

whc03grady wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:10 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:58 am

Looks like it. fascinating.

Tracked it down via time stamps in my computer. That is the Sideling Hill Cut on I-68, Wikipedia was pretty impressed. Check it out, the photograph from above is quite beautiful.

From Wikipedia:
The Sideling Hill Road Cut on Interstate 68 and US 40 is a 340-foot (100 m) deep notch excavated from the ridge of Sideling Hill, about 7 miles (11 km) west of Hancock in Washington County, Maryland. It is notable as an impressive man-made mountain pass, visible from miles away, and is considered to be one of the best rock exposures in Maryland and the entire northeastern United States.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:32 pm

wikipedia wrote:The Sideling Hill Road Cut...is a 340-foot (100 m) deep notch excavated from the ridge of Sideling Hill...Almost 810 feet (250 m) of strata in a tightly folded syncline are exposed in this road cut.
Jesus, at what point do you say "shoulda dug a tunnel"? Seriously.

Wow, nice bus McCandmore. (My family's is also an orange '74).

'74s and '75s have easily the best Westy interior layout, and don't let the 'my passenger seat swivels around' crowd ever tell you any different.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:50 pm

whc03grady wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:32 pm
Jesus, at what point do you say "shoulda dug a tunnel"? Seriously.
They did. It's there. Only two narrow lanes. I think it is currently abandoned? Cheaper to cut the hill down. Geologists ecstatic. Tunnel-borers disappointed.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:53 pm

whc03grady wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:50 pm
Wow, nice bus McCandmore. (My family's is also an orange '74).

'74s and '75s have easily the best Westy interior layout, and don't let the 'my passenger seat swivels around' crowd ever tell you any different.

My '77 has an even better best interior layout because 'my passenger seat swivels around'.
ColinI'veYetToSwivelMyPassengerSeatAround

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Mccandmore wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:45 am
It was excellent to meet you too and what a fantastic day. (While it was not completely dry it was at least nice and cool, which is not typical for St. Louis even in September.)

Thank you for all the knowledge you imparted and for your patience for my many questions, my timidity during some of the tasks at hand and my barking dogs. My confidence in doing my own work is much improved and I have a good list of items to address in the long term and the near term (anyone have lower engine tins for a ’74 for sale?).

I’d meant to have my kids take a few pictures of your visit that I could share but I was so caught up in everything that I completely forgot. I’m already looking forward to next summer’s Itinerary.

Enjoy your walkabout and wishing you drier times.
Steve

My friend and Clayton booster says hello from Maryland Ave.
I say, "how about this weather here in Saint James, Missouri, haAH? Blue skies, low humidity, NO RAIN . . . "

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:43 pm

The Horror! That aftermarket dual outlet exhaust. Must start a go fund me page for a stock muffler immediately! :cyclopsani:

Nobody is asking, and nobody is offering, but I will take all the rain you can send my way... We've not seen a drop since, since, I don't remember.

Satchmo
So Cal
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:42 am

satchmo wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:43 pm
A) The Horror! That aftermarket dual outlet exhaust. Must start a go fund me page for a stock muffler immediately! :cyclopsani:

B) Nobody is asking, and nobody is offering, but I will take all the rain you can send my way... We've not seen a drop since, since, I don't remember.
Satchmo So Cal

a) I know, I already jumped on him. That thing will fall off soon enough.

b) Oh I wish I could, I am heartsick about California's fires. I camped outside of Whiskeytown, drove the I-5 corridor at the Oregon border, and I hate to think of all of that beautiful countryside ravaged by fire then washed down by winter rains. Of course, down where you are, there is some real drifting sport when the first rains hit the SoCal freeway oil build-up.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Walkabout - Late Model Door Stay Repair

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:25 am

Now good and west of Saint Louis:

The skies have cleared and I am very pleased to announce my first project of 2018 here in Rolla, Missouri.

This procedure will be relevant for those late-model bus owners with those hideous cheap one-position door stays that don't stay anyway who are d@mn sick and tired of:

*getting booted in the backside by their door as they set their Diet Coke down ahead of the seat
*getting their coffee knocked out of their hand
*getting their leg trapped by a closing door when trying to look up under the dash
*hearing creepy creaks when their door is opened or closed

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13690#p230672

It is a beautiful day, but Missouri, really? Really?? Is this how we do it?
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Walkabout - Fusebox Rejuvenation

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:50 pm

But first, I am now in Oklahoma near New Mexico. It has not rained for THREE days. That helps.

A very nice old lady complimented NaranjaWesty in Clayton MO at the post office (where I mailed in my absentee ballot because I am a citizen first, hobbyist second). NaranjaWesty of course blushed and refused to start, heck, refused to even give me idiot lights. The shame! But, I think this was the likely outcome of that cutting out that began to occur in New Jersey on those horrible roads which I so do not miss. Surreptitiously, I yanked the harness at the ignition switch and followed it to the eight terminal plug just under the steering column support, and I yanked the harness where wires splayed out to various destinations. It started, I was happy and drove to Oklahoma here. But an intermittent open circuit that shuts everything down is a "big" lousy connection, and therefore needed to be tracked down before *damage* could occur. Boy, I'd hate to see a loose wire or sumpin:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=13691

Off into the night go I, to New Mexico, I believe.

white74westy
I'm New!

Re: Walkabout - Fusebox Rejuvenation

Post by white74westy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:01 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:50 pm
I had a bunch of those nice oem brass terminals that you squeeze with the Make It Look And Behave As Original pliers from AliExpress or Oz Auto Electric or someone.
Yup...that was me. Glad to read that it is serving you well! :cheers: Also really nice to see your spirit return as you begin to find drier climes. We have been utterly waterlogged this year and now that the storm season is in full effect, it could make for some uncomfortable times ahead. Out of curiosity, do you think this year’s lap will force you to reconsider your clockwise track, for a return to your previous counter clockwise route? Here’s to more dry and warm weather in your future. Look forward to reading more about your adventures and continued maintenance of Naranja!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Walkabout - Westbound

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Where am I? Thank-you for asking. I am here:

Painted the accelerator pedal again, extra coat this time:

We'll see if this time, it lasts longer with VHT versus last time's Rustoleum (painted at Manny's Palm Nursery in Miami Spring 2016)

Directly after fixing up the fusebox [which I can now report has eradicated any hot-start issues (yay)] and painting the accelerator pedal, I passed through Bartlesville OK:

The next day, I almost got pasted by an eighteen wheeler that had been behind me for several miles. For crying out loud, I hit my turn signal (it works), braked (brake lights work), and as I looked in the rear view mirror, I could see this half-jackknife and clouds of tire smoke and hear that deep howl of locked-up truck tires going on just behind me. I decided to take my turn at a much faster clip than I was intending (you are WELcome, Mr. Inattentive Trucker). Not two hours later, I bought some reflective tape and have applied it all over the car. Remember the Road Warrior? Taped it but good In Denver with a white reflective tape that was invisible in the daytime, but lit up at night so people would see me . . . from the rear. Yeah, I got hit in the front four days later . . . :

Anyways! Naranja now has red reflectors at the front door trailing edges when they are open, four bumper white corners, two red reflectors at the gutter above the tailgate for inattentive truckers, two little white tapes on the engine hatch when open, and one red on the trailing edge of the sliding door when it is open. You'll see them in subsequent photographs. Maybe. These reflectors were made in Yangzhou China, and the adhesive appears to be already failing:

Already drove a thousand miles, I'll drive another ten to find one:

Peeled southwest off US-60 in Oklahoma and took US-54 down through a diagonal slice of Texas. Pulled off at a dirt road dead exhausted. Awoke to a "moo" only feet from me:

This was a very alert, agitated, curious, and indecisive cow. She did not know what to do. Came close, trotted away, came up again, trotted away. Make up your mind, cow:

Me? I had no mind to make up:

After that acute meeting of indecisiveness with the cow, I had to see this? Look close:

The stiff wind from the southeast just blew cow crap dust all over us:

As far as I could see. It is not right. "Efficiency of scale" answers so little:

Arrived in Tucumcari. It is a dying town, and everybody knows it. Motel rate here was pretty good though:

Once you're not cool anymore, nobody comes to hang out with you. It is just the way it is:

Here at the Payless Inn, I really did pay less. I stayed here for two days, in the back where the last big shade trees westbound were to be found:

First project, paint the rust stains off the jalousie windows. The ceaseless rain over the past six weeks did a number on the rivets:

(you can see the reflective tape on the sliding door)

That was a mood picker-upper. Took apart the front grill which was never aligned very well. Bent the tabs according to the blue tape instructions:

Let's see how my paint job held up from November 2015:

(the before shot, can you believe this car only had 41,000 miles?)

November 2015

September 2018 (just did a little rust-catalyzer touch-up and let it go at that)

The self-adhesive foam on the air damper doors had let go after only three years and 50,000 more miles, so I went all Weldwood overkill on it:

Cut a piece of foam seal off to use as a dauber brush. You DO what you have to DO:

Look at how nicely the grill lines up with the curve of the front now, and the air doors seal properly once again:

There is so much more to come, but is this boring?
Colin