Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From New Jersey

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From New Jersey

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:51 pm

Let's just say that it was an exquisite delight to lose myself in the work at hand. Such a relief to just deal with what is in front of us. And we had plenty in front of us. This beautiful 1971 Westy here with a fresh rebuilt transaxle was *towed* to this spot because it refused to select any gear but 3rd. Last year we had just installed the rebuild with our pint-sized list-making supervisor keeping is diligently focused:

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=13334#p225355

Well, this year we had TWO supervisors. Isn't that the way it always goes?

We started the day by inspecting the parameters of our hacktastic kustom-fab shift rod procedure. Appetite had discovered that the early shift rod guide pin had not only broken off but plumb disappeared. That is why the shifter would not select a gear:

We came up with a pretty good guide pin. It used to be a 2" long m10 bolt before we beheaded it and used the threaded end to double-nut bolt it up to the bracket where the old pin used to be welded to it. We had to drill it out carefully with a lot of other parts in the way, but appetite's punky drill bit collection and battery-powered drill just chewed right through. Tested the throw of the shift rod to make sure it could still move forward with a locknut now taking up residence at the bracket. Just just just made it:

I think it looks great. Better yet, it drove well:

The supervisors of course demanded the opportunity to see how we did. Well, the shifting was fine, but the engine needed a little tweaking as this year it seems to be saying that it liked the vacuum retard we took off last summer because it didn't like it then. Then we checked the front brakes and wheel bearings while our supervisors took their three-hour lunch and trip to some zoo (must be nice to be a supervisor). Such a fine bus and a beautiful family . . .

Next day was Skip and his 1977 Westfalia with that beautiful cabinetry and South African steering wheel, but we barely even test drove it. No, we had to of course sit down and have a cup of coffee and thoroughly immerse in another conversation about God and Religion. Yeah we do that every year. See, this year God and I have been having a little argument since July 9th or so, and I am in no mood to talk all beatifically about that Creator of Rain and More Rain and Humidity and Pesky Biting Bugs. Anyways, we came to an agreement that televangelists are skating on mighty thin ice (see, this metaphor thing keeps eluding me). But we were there to get the Thing running. And we did. And it would not idle. And we disassembled the carburetor there under the deck:

This Thing thing is actually a pretty good example with original engine decals:

Alas, the carburetor, a German Solex 34 Pict3, did not want to idle even after we cleaned out the pilot jet. So ... I turned it out barely a quarter turn and stuck it in place with some Loctite and then it did idle. Skip is on it. Volksbitz rebuild coming up, I believe. Great to visit with you, Skip.

Had a Whole Deep Fatigue Sit On The Stoop, then gathered myself together, battled the horrendous frenetic hurrying New Jersey traffic, horrible roads, rain, and more rain, and, and well, well, I drove to Saint Louis. We're calling it Walkabout.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From New Jersey

Post by appetite » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:29 am

I've lost track, but this is either my 12th or 13th IAC visit. Each year, my bus gets more reliable and I get more confident in my own abilities to troubleshoot and maintain my bus. The beast has been ornery since we swapped in the new transmission last year, and since I was at the tail end of the itinerary, I had to cobble together solutions until our visit. I'm grateful to this forum for its collective expertise and for Colin's patience and detailed instructions when I've been at an impasse. These resources alone are worth the price of admission.

Since last summer, I was vexed by a charging issue, and after clinging to the false hope of a less radical procedure, I finally had to bite the bullet and swap out the alternator:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=13430

It was my first such job, so part of our visit this year was having Colin audit my work. There was a lot to put back together, and except for an errant woodruff key and a tight belt, I think I passed muster.

But the main event of the visit was the loss of the shift rod pin and the need for a replacement:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13302&start=30

Colin referred to our efforts as "hacktastic". I'd like to think of the job as an ingenious custom fabrication. M10 bolt, sans head, smooth shaft and 3 nuts to lock it all in place. Reassemble the shift mechanism and viola! A solution to the other vexing problem of the past 12 months.

Some brake adjustments, steering box adjustments, accelerator cable adjustments, thermostat adjustments and attitude adjustments rendered the bus ready for adventure.

Thanks again Colin! I hope you have a dry, warm and restful Autumn. As always, sign me up for next year.

skip
Getting Hooked!

Post by skip » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:50 pm

Colin meets my 74 Thing, Had an appointment with Colin the travelling aircooled maintenance instructor to examine my bus steering and windshield wiper speed. The main issue was keeping the Thing running after the choke kicked off. Surgery on the carb found dirt in the bowl and a blocked pilot jet. I'm thankful Colin had gaskets and could reassemble. Being a Thing with a stock AM engine with a DVDA distributor it needed the retard vacuum line connected, glad he knew where it went. After his touch she idled real nice, but there is vac leak around the carb's throttle shaft bushings, so off to Volksbitz over the winter. I had converted to wide five disc front brakes and was unsure if the bearings where too tight or ok, again Colin showed me how to check. Like everything else in life it's easy when you know how.

Colin it is always a pleasure to be in your presence and learn new stuff. I'm glad you enjoyed our discussions, always trying to share the good news (Gospel).

Attached are some cell phone pics....

Thanks again Colin...see ya next year God willing.
Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

76 Westfalia
74 Type 181

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:50 pm

Hey Colin, I've noticed you've changed your affinity for cut offs for camouflage. Whazzup with that?
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:44 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:50 pm
Hey Colin, I've noticed you've changed your affinity for cut offs for camouflage. Whazzup with that?

Old age. Those impossibly sexy legs I have sported all these years have become old tree trunks with lichens and peeling bark.
Colin

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 am

Hey Colin, I've noticed you've changed your affinity for cut offs for camouflage.
No need to question it. We are all thankful for Colin's wardrobe update. :)
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

Hobug
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hobug » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:18 am

jtauxe wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 am
Hey Colin, I've noticed you've changed your affinity for cut offs for camouflage.
Amen brother!!! :-)
76 Westy
69 Squareback (auto)
63 Bug
73 Thing (Type 4 powered)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:09 pm

Hobug wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:18 am
jtauxe wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 am
Amen brother!!! :-)

Oh keep it up hawhaw, and I will have cause to melt your corneas.
I've been reflecting lately. I am pretty sure that you do not want me to reflect much more.
Colin (giving thanks for the sunny day here outside of Tucson)