Post from an IAC First-timer

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Re: Post from an IAC First-timer

Post by kreemoweet » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:05 pm

This hi-rep British seller has 'em for 59 pounds ($78.):
https://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts ... 021AA.html

I don't believe for a second it cost a hundred dollars or more to ship to the U.S., but bizness is bizness I guess.

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:49 pm

Thank You kreemoweet,

A quick update per my MC quest. It arrived in today's mail and upon inspection, appears to be the real deal.
The factory label lists all the specs precisely as indicated on the $350 part sold on two U.S. websites.

The MC is factory sealed and carries the ATE logo:

The one difference I notice between the new MC and the one currently on the bus is that the furthest-back brake-light-switch boss is situated on an angle as seen here:

As opposed to the new MC which has the corresponding brake-light-switch mounted in parallel with its forward situated partner:

My primary concern is will the rear switch will come into contact with the parking brake cable?
And the other issue that Colin and I discussed is that I have a used correct servo that I could install as opposed to the one that is currently on the bus which looks to be from a Vanagon. The question is: Do I keep the Vanagon servo with its missing hard plastic vent hose mount OR is the used one I purchased in good health?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just trying to learn here and make sure the brake system on the bus is safe and up to spec.

Thank You,

Jeff
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:20 pm

BusBassist wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:49 pm
Will the rear switch will come into contact with the parking brake cable?

Do I keep the Vanagon servo with its missing hard plastic vent hose mount OR is the used one I purchased in good health?
Go down and place a switch in the horizontal plane and see for yourself.

I'd steel myself and stick in the baywindow one with the understanding that you might have to do a booster swap.
Colin Is It Raining? Yes
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks Colin,

First of all, it rained buckets and buckets last night while I was camping near Dansville, NY. Glad we had a good tent and tarp configuration. Now - about the leaky air mattress; time for an upgrade.

Yes Curtp07 and Happyfolk, we have all ordered the same part from the same person. I would appreciate knowing your experience with your respective part. I sent a note to this person asking if a ‘correct’ part is available and also to articulate the return policy.

Colin, I climbed under the bus and am concerned that the paired ports for the switches don't allow enough clearance for the rear switch to miss the parking brake cable. As I search the web I now see that some of the MC's have a concentric port for the rear switch. BUT in each case, there is no mention of a different part number. In the Bently, the photos that illustrate the MC in the various procedural tasks, all show ones that have parallel switch ports.

The photo below shows a rear port for this MC and I wonder if the rear switch could be mounted in this location? I would have to plug the side port since there is no call for 5 outlets. OR the other question I would ask is why is there a rear port?

Perhaps I have purchased the WRONG part!

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:57 pm

More ports makes the item more versatile. Such as using the same m/c for LHD and RHD vehicles. Such as using it in vehicles
that have 1 or 2 brake light switches. Etc. It's a good thing.

Unused ports are easily blocked off with a suitable washer and M10x1.0-threaded bolt. I use
short hex-socket bolts and copper washers obtained from http://belmetric.com/ .

All the ATE products I've gotten recently have anti-counterfeiting features on the labels. Info on how it works at
http://www.ate-na.com/services/product- ... rotection/ .

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Thank you for the suggestions and replies. I plan to use the 'rear' port to install the second switch. I'll plug off the other parallel port across from the brake line.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Jeff

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:43 am

BusBassist wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:33 pm
Thank you for the suggestions and replies. I plan to use the 'rear' port to install the second switch. I'll plug off the other parallel port across from the brake line.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Jeff
The MC I got from Ebay for $89 looks just like yours. Maybe the same seller? Are you keeping your booster or getting a new one?
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:51 am

I’m going to replace the booster; it’s not new but Colin checked it out and said it was original and I could give it a shot. The current booster on the bus is probably from a Vanagon. I will say that the guy who sold the MC has been very helpful and communicative. He has offered to purchase and ship the necessary set screw/washer to plug the hole so I can use the rear port for the second brake light switch.

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:41 pm

I’m in the same boat!!

Darn it.

Should have looked at the parts.

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:08 pm

Just to be clear - you’re in the same boat because of the space conflict with the brake light switch connection and the parking brake cable?

For me, I used the part number as a guide and did not ‘see’ the issue until the part arrived. The photos in the Bentley show the part we both bought- and because of this, I thought this was the standard part called for.

Live and learn: actually LOOk at the currently-installed-part before rushing to purchase what ‘appears’ to be the correct replacement part.

The question in my mind is: which version of the Bay Window bus actually calls for the part we bought? Maybe the early Bay since it does not have a servo and the MC mounts on the frame, allowing enough clearance for the parking brake cable.

Colin will know.

I’m just glad for that rear, fifth port that provides an option for mounting the switch.

Looking forward getting this installed and in service.

Jeff

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Yes..the exact same boat. Contacted the vendor and he’s going to also send me the parts like you...

Whew!

I’ll be interested to find out, but it does seem trues, as mentioned above, that the part is universal.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:50 am

I would probably remove the pistons pushrod assy from the new master cylinder bore and stick em in my personally reconditioned original master cylinder bore (if there was no pitting).
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:11 pm

I like that solution. I have a nice ATE MC with worn out rubber seals, but no rebuild kits can be sourced.

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:55 am

I like this idea as well. Is it as simple as removing the circlip, pulling out the piston assembly, and swaping the new for the old?

I would imagaine there needs to be some kind of cleaning or prepping of the old M/C outer shell to receive the new innards.
And Colin, you said this is a viable option as long as there is no pitting; how is this evaluated?

Thanks to all for the feedback and advice.

Jeff, at-75-mph-as-my-wife-drives; zooming-past- Cleveland-in-our-way-to-drop-off-our-son-at-college-in-Utah.

This is not a cross county lap, it’s a sprint!

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:12 am

Oh, and it’s starting to rain (west of Toledo).