Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Post from an IAC First-timer

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:21 pm

BusBassist wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:12 am
Oh, and it’s starting to rain (west of Toledo).
Rain? Man, if I had blown a fuse last week and taken off to the dry west and it had rained on me west of Toledo, I'd blown a gasket.

So, yes, remove the guts of the old master cylinder, hone it with 1000 grit sandpaper wrapped around a correctly sized socket/extension making sure to do a nice corkscrew motion first one way then the other way to end up with a 45* cross hatch, rinse with carb spray, wash with hot water and Dawn, rinse well in hot water, dry immediately, then check bore. Leave new master cylinder alone until the old bore has been checked and passes. Celebrate! This is called "lunatic".

New guts must be carefully inserted with much brake fluid, if you decide to come back from Utah, that is.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:47 pm

Let’s have Yoda answer that question tomorrow in person ;)

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:44 am

Good Morning Curtp07,

I wonder how you made out with your new MC? Did you do as Colin suggested and swap out the new master cylinder innards?
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:42 pm

BusBassist wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:44 am
Good Morning Curtp07,

I wonder how you made out with your new MC? Did you do as Colin suggested and swap out the new master cylinder innards?
Nope.

We adjusted the rear brakes up good, then adjusted the ebrake cables. Pedal was much better, but still had a little mush if applied gently.
Final determination - bleed 'em.
Colin

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:07 am

Hmmmmm- OK. So are your implying that a good rear adjustment and bleeding might correct or improve my braking capabilities?

You have seen both mine and Curtp07’s brake situation - are they similar?

Will give this a shot before I tear into replacing parts.

I’m still in-Utah where I love the dry climate but loathe the traffic! This place has EXPLODED with growth in the 28 years since we left.

Jeff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:41 am

BusBassist wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:07 am
Hmmmmm- OK. So are your implying that a good rear adjustment and bleeding might correct or improve my braking capabilities?
No. I do not imply EVER that one vehicle's circumstances have anything to do with another vehicle's circumstances. I saw that his brakes were unusually far out of adjustment. I think Curt still may have a master cylinder replacement coming up.

I think we did the pull-the-e-brake test with your car. The pedal improved but would still do that drop if applied slowly, yes?
Master cylinder.
Utah, I want to I want to.
Colin

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:51 am

I think we did the pull-the-e-brake test with your car. The pedal improved but would still do that drop if applied slowly, yes?
Master cylinder.
Utah, I want to I want to.
Colin
Yes, we did the the pull-the-e brake test and made a nice skid on the neighborhood street. After you left, I did a brake adjustment and while this did improve braking, there is still too much travel with a slow pedal application. The backing plates on my bus are missing the tabs that ratchet the adjusting spurts so I have to stay on top of this. I have new backing plates but they seem so thin and cheap when compared to the originals.

We are now back from Utah where we very much enjoyed the dry air. BUT, as stated earlier - the traffic is terrible. I was disappointed I didn't see more VW's in our 4,400 mile sprint out-and-back trip across the county. We did spy a small collection of abandoned VW's along side of the road at Mile Marker 236 on East Bound I-80 in Nebraska. We saw an early bay just east of Evanston but it was gone in a flash and I couldn't snap a photo in time. We did see one bus in Provo on the BYU campus and one in a parking lot in Orem that served as a business bill board. So sad to see it relegated to this stagnant assignment.

We did come across two Vanagons - one here:

and Here:

Plus a nice Porsche 356:

AND Colin, we did see and drive through rain coming and going, both times in Nebraska.

I will have time to address the MC job and will report here as it unfolds.