Post from an IAC First-timer

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post from an IAC First-timer

Post by BusBassist » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Today was my first IAC visit with Colin - and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. The day zoomed by and my head is still spinning from all of the information he patiently imparted into my newbie brain.

He started with a very thorough explanation on the mechanics of valve movements and adjustments, breaker points, dwell, and timing complete with illustrated hand written notes and drawings. As the tutoring unfolded, Colin posed diagnostic questions which pushed my VW-apprentice-brain to the outer edge of its limits. He was patient when the answers did not flow quickly into my mind and he coxed the answers from me with other questions or hints. This was a great experience and I haven't had my mechanical/electrical intelligence stretched like this for years. (I felt like I was Jr. High School all over again).

When we moved from our theoretical discussion out to the garage, Colin first checked my valve adjustment work done a couple of months ago. I don't know if he was grading my work, but I would give myself a "B" since we had to go back and tweak some of the adjustments with a few IAC 'audits' from Colin. While I did this work, Colin clarified the markings on my cooling fan indicating TDC and BTDC. His use of fingernail polish gives a festive look to the interior of my engine bay. We also replaced the valve cover gaskets and then moved on to the timing.

This is where things got more interesting as you can see from Colin's expression that he was not too pleased with what was going on.

He discovered that I had installed the distributer 90* offset. We removed the distributer so he could show me how to check and adjust the points and we had quite a time making said adjustment because of some worn fittings inside. After many attempts, we determined the best setting (given the mechanical issues) and static-timed the engine. We finally fired up the bus and discovered a high-pitched whining sound coming from the engine. Within seconds Colin attributed the issue to a leak at the intake tubes. I soon learned that when I had lowered the engine a few weeks earlier to remove the fuel tank for service, that I had not given sufficient torque to the intake manifold nuts. This was soon rectified and we moved on to timing the engine with a timing light. This is where my mind began to get hazy with all of the plugged hoses, vacuum advance, 28* BTDC, etc. But once again, Colin was patient and explained his strategies and methodology.

The main culprit giving us trouble was the crappy center-mount Webber progressive carburetor. The mixture adjustment screw ran out of threads prior to reaching the proper setting and Colin wasn't too happy about that. (See the photo above). Colin set up his vacuum meter and we then took the bus out for a drive around the neighborhood with Colin at the helm. Almost immediately he discovered that my master cylinder is shot. The brake pedal upon application would travel almost to the floor. This was a shock to me as this has never happen before and I thought to myself, "what did we do to cause this." Eventually Colin and I switched and the braking issue seemingly disappeared. It was then that we realized that the way I applied the brakes in comparison with Colin was just different. I then applied the brakes in the same manner as Colin and I too experienced the pedal traveling almost ALL THE WAY to the floor.

On the way back to the house, Colin gave me a lesson on double clutching and then had me try this technique.

We got back home (safely) and went inside and enjoyed the AC and a little lunch. Colin then returned to his paper and pen and gave me very specific instructions on replacing the MC. This is a high priority and I will dig up the necessary resources and purchase a new MC post haste.

We returned to the heat and humidity outside and commenced replacing the tie rods. Colin also adjusted the steering wheel so that it is now set at 9:00 and 3:00 instead of 8:00 and 2:00. Thank Heavens - this has been driving me crazy since I've owned the bus.

Along the way my kids came home from work and greeted Colin and I while we were under the bus. My son Weston (who likes to work on cars) snapped a few photos of Naranja Westy parked under the big blue tarp

(the weather report called for afternoon thundershowers so I wanted to be ready).
Weston also took a photo of Naranja Westy's interior and told me later he was fascinated with the way Colin organized his tools and whole operation.

The day was coming to a close but before it did, Colin and I climbed under the bus for instructions on how to deal with rust and some areas of rot. This was very helpful and a little overwhelming but it must be addressed.

We snapped a photo of the August 16, 2018 IAC Dynamic Duo,

Colin climbed into NW, drove down our long and narrow driveway,

into the street; and with that, the day came to a close.

Thank You Colin, this was an exhilarating day and I'm already pining away for the 2019 lap.
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

1funbug
I'm New!

Re: Post from an IAC First-timer

Post by 1funbug » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:38 am

Great write-up! I felt like a C student that needed to start paying closer attention in class. I hope you'll share your MC replacement. Mine has a tiny leak, but won't get replaced until winter.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:01 am

It was a pleasure to finally meet you and put the person to the user name. We share a love of quality and music and now we must share the experience of fully-sorted Volkswagens.

Keep us posted on your foray into the master cylinder!

The rains sure found me at the Thruway, good grief. Enough with the rain, already.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:45 am

More of the same in the morning, rain, rain, rain. Going to the Blake Shelton concert at Dick's Sporting Goods Open in Binghamton tonight, only 90% chance of rain, should be fun. Not much of a Country fan but our employees are, even in the rain. See you tomorrow morning at 9AM, give or take.
1972 Superbeetle Convertible
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback
1966 6V Beetle with Sunroof

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:17 pm

I began my hunt for an ATE M/C and discovered that not many vendors stock them and that they're pretty pricey. But it doesn't make a lot of sense to compromise on a crucial brake system component so I'll have to rob the piggy bank. Does anyone know of a good source for this part?

Colin, I'm sorry you encountered (more) rain (again) after you left but I was glad we didn't have any rain while we were working. We had rain here not long after you left but only for about 15 minutes. Yes, it was a pleasure to finally meet you in person and I appreciate your taste in interesting music and of course, your VW expertise. Plus, after you left, my kids told me they thought you were 'a super cool dude."

Will report back per the MC project.

Jeff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:01 am

BusBassist wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:17 pm
I began my hunt for an ATE M/C and discovered that not many vendors stock them and that they're pretty pricey. But it doesn't make a lot of sense to compromise on a crucial brake system component so I'll have to rob the piggy bank. Does anyone know of a good source for this part?

Colin, I'm sorry you encountered (more) rain (again) after you left but I was glad we didn't have any rain while we were working. We had rain here not long after you left but only for about 15 minutes. Yes, it was a pleasure to finally meet you in person and I appreciate your taste in interesting music and of course, your VW expertise. Plus, after you left, my kids told me they thought you were 'a super cool dude."

Will report back per the MC project.

Jeff

Super cool drowned rat here, trying to air out the cabin. Flood watches here in central New York on my way to wdollie6:

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:35 am

Well, Maybe I should have sent you along the way with the big blue tarp ---

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Fantastic writeup, Jeff, thanks for sharing!

What's up with the angle between your clutch and brake pedals? Hopefully those are just worn-out pads that you can replace……

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:35 pm

I just picked up two of those MCs off the samba classifieds. Check there,

Curt

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks for the reply Robbie. I never even noticed that my pedals are not symmetrical. I removed the clutch pedal and this is what I saw:

Looks like it pulls to the left. I tried to wrestle with it in the vice but the old German steel has no interest in budging. Where does one take this to get straitened out? A black smith? Welder? Or is there supposed to be a little curve to facilitate pedal movement?

You can see from this shot the the pedal has a little twist and it does not run parallel to the steering column.

And thanks for the suggestion Curtp07 per the MC. It's very confusing as I've seen the same part listed for $89 on the Samba (and Ebay), $189 at the BusDepot and $350 at a couple of other online vendors. All list the part number as 211611021AA and indicate their respective part is newly manufactured by ATE. How can the same part have such a wide price range? Is the $89 price just too good to be true?

Thanks,

Jeff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:42 am

BusBassist wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:31 pm
Thanks for the reply Robbie. I never even noticed that my pedals are not symmetrical.
Where does one take this to get straightened out? A blacksmith? Welder?
Or is there supposed to be a little curve to facilitate pedal movement?

And thanks for the suggestion Curtp07 per the MC. It's very confusing as I've seen the same part listed for $89 on the Samba (and Ebay), $189 at the BusDepot and $350 at a couple of other online vendors. All list the part number as 211611021AA and indicate their respective part is newly manufactured by ATE. How can the same part have such a wide price range? Is the $89 price just too good to be true?

Thanks,

Jeff

Diligence is required to corral your potential vendors into offering what is advertised. Some websites use photographs of the good ol' stuff but send whatever they have. You may very well end up with a bargain.

I remember that odd pedal, but it worked . . . it does have an arc that keeps the rod centered in the floor hole through its travel. If yours manages to stay centered, then its arc is OK. Do you think the car was in a wreck? What sort of forces could possibly distort the pedal?
Colin

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:14 am

BusBassist wrote:Is the $89 price just too good to be true?
Very likely. I can't count how many time I've ended up buying the cheaper part, then springing for the more expensive part upon receiving the cheap part and seeing the reason for the cheapness. But then again, I'm a slow learner.

Usta' be that you could get a master cylinder rebuild kit and rebuild your own if it wasn't too badly pitted in the bore. Then at least you knew where you were with it, rather than having to guess at the quality of the rebuilt unit you got.

Whichever way you go with the MC, do youself a favour and order a couple of clutch/brake pedal pads. Those bald ones you have are just waiting to slip out beneath your wet boots.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:05 pm

I remember that odd pedal, but it worked . . . it does have an arc that keeps the rod centered in the floor hole through its travel. If yours manages to stay centered, then its arc is OK. Do you think the car was in a wreck? What sort of forces could possibly distort the pedal?
Well, I don’t see any other signs of a wreck - but I do notice that the lever below the bus that attaches the clutch pedal to the cable does not line up with the little rubber bumper (it’s off track by about 1/8” and barely contacts the pad on the corner).
The pedal, on return, makes a little clicking sound rather then a nice bumpered thump if you let go too hard.

Per the $89 ATE MC price listed on theSamba classifieds, I asked the seller how the price could be so much lower and he indicated he travels to Europe on business and purchases a few VW parts and brings them back to the US. He says the difference in price is reflected in the high cost of shipping.

Perhaps I’m a sucker but I purchased the part and will report back upon its arrival.

Per the bent clutch pedal rod - was it originally designed to be completely straight?

And in hindsight in responding to Colin’s queery about a wreck, there is evidence that the bus may have been towed and someone attached a hook/chain: both tie rods were bent and there is a scar on one of the front support beams (Colin, you pointed this out when we were looking under the car).

Oh the secrets these cars keep.

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:38 pm

I just bought an Ate MC on ebay for $89 shipped from a guy in CO and it will arrive tomorrow.
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:51 pm

That’s the same guy I believe, RD are his initials. I ordered two, one for each bus. They’re at my house but I’ve been on the road two weeks haven’t seen em...never been let down by samba people.