Itinerant Air-Cooled Midwestbound

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jeffrey
I'm New!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Midwestbound

Post by Jeffrey » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:44 am

Regarding the rockers, you are right, they do look similar, however the angle of the rocker across the shaft is quite different and the width is different. I wii try to include a photo which will show the difference but being new to this, I'm not sure how to it??Image

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:44 am
Regarding the rockers, you are right, they do look similar, however the angle of the rocker across the shaft is quite different and the width is different. I wii try to include a photo which will show the difference but being new to this, I'm not sure how to it??Image

It is best to host photograph on a site like Photobucket and stick IMG tags around the individual photograph's address.

These Type 4 engines will not allow to mix up the offsets on the rocker arms. I have no questions about the rocker arm orientations, but I did have questions about the different screw positions. I ascribed those concerns to a confused Last Adjustment. Now, any screws sticking out further than the others is evidence of different seat depths.
Colin
(keep us posted and ask questions!)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

70Crew
I'm New!

Post by 70Crew » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:29 am

Colin -

A quick update...the difference in the steering is AMAZING. I now have virtually no freeplay on center, and the "clunk" in the box is gone. When I put the new wheel on, I verified (as I had suspected) that the column bearing thrust ring was missing so I added one. That took the remaining slop out of the wheel. I now remember what these are supposed to feel like.

Chris

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:44 pm

70Crew wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:29 am
Colin -

A quick update...the difference in the steering is AMAZING. I now have virtually no freeplay on center, and the "clunk" in the box is gone. When I put the new wheel on, I verified (as I had suspected) that the column bearing thrust ring was missing so I added one. That took the remaining slop out of the wheel. I now remember what these are supposed to feel like.

Chris

I love the steering in Chloe. It has that early VW quick ratio nimbleness. The German engineers really do demand attentiveness to all the little details. It has made my career for me.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles