Missing: Small White Detent

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

zabo
Old School!

Missing: Small White Detent

Post by zabo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:48 pm

I had a great visit with colin today. Its always a fun time and i really enjoy his company. We got a lot of stuff done and managed to lose my wiper detent in some gravel.

We started off adjusting the air regulator to address some cold start issues, hopefully erradicated a little bit of rust under my rear hatch seal :wink: and then moved on to replace my outer spring plate bushings and adjusted the rear brakes. Hopefully i'll muster up the courage to tackle the inner bushings soon.

We disassembled my front door lock, got it functioning properly and then tackled my wiperswitch problem....
60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Missing: Small White Detent

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:37 pm

zabo wrote:I had a great visit with colin today. Its always a fun time and i really enjoy his company. We got a lot of stuff done and managed to lose my wiper detent in some gravel.

We started off adjusting the air regulator to address some cold start issues, hopefully erradicated a little bit of rust under my rear hatch seal :wink: and then moved on to replace my outer spring plate bushings and adjusted the rear brakes. Hopefully i'll muster up the courage to tackle the inner bushings soon.

We disassembled my front door lock, got it functioning properly and then tackled my wiper switch problem....
Yeah, we were doing so well there . . . until the Universe just had to deflate my braggadocio. Ironically, the below link to the post, "Meet Mo . . . Mo Ron" is pretty much what we, zabo and I, revisited when attempting to resurrect his non-functioning wiper switch. I was telling him the story of losing the detent on the BobD in the Arizona gravel on November 10, 2010 while we tore into his switch:

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=8961

Ha ha haaaa, fun story, right?? Yeah, until zabo's detent here on March 30, 2016, just ups and flees. Can you believe it? That is what it did.

I have now searched for little plastic detent plastic detents all across the country, all the way from Arizona gravel to Georgia leaves and sand. After a few minutes, zabo and I gave up . . . like I did in 2010, but now I am horrendously indifferent these days, so I told zabo ( my customer ) "aw you don't need no detent anyhow , my repair to the contactor is rough enough that the switch will stick in the position you place it in." That's what I said.

See, zabo? There's the wrecked license plate detent.

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:29 am

A. Einstein (or S. Clemens or B. Franklin or Confucius or some other brainy guy) wrote:The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:36 pm

SlowLane wrote:
A. Einstein (or S. Clemens or B. Franklin or Confucius or some other brainy guy) wrote:The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.
Yeah, that was my pal, Einstein.
Say . . . do you need a wiper switch repair?
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:08 am

Amskeptic wrote:
SlowLane wrote:
Yeah, that was my pal, Einstein.
Say . . . do you need a wiper switch repair?
Colin :blackeye:
I'm good, thanks. Don't need wipers much in Cali. :drunken:

Could use a day's tutorial in rust eradication and paintwork fundamentals, though. Trying to sort out the budget for a visit...
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett