Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

weisswurst
Addicted!

Re: 2015 Results Just In!

Post by weisswurst » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:26 am

Amskeptic wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:Anyway..
Exactly. The day awaits.
For example, I have that big pumpkin Westy chaotically "packed", with the cactus even, and am wading gamely into downtown Atlanta traffic on my way to Valdosta and points south in about 30 minutes.
Colin

When should I expect you? :cyclopsani:
-Jeffveryexcitedtoseethegreatpumpkin
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:40 am

weisswurst wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:Anyway..
Exactly. The day awaits.
For example, I have that big pumpkin Westy chaotically "packed", with the cactus even, and am wading gamely into downtown Atlanta traffic on my way to Valdosta and points south in about 30 minutes.
Colin

When should I expect you? :cyclopsani:
-Jeffveryexcitedtoseethegreatpumpkin
I should be there the morning of the 13th. See: Naranja Road Trip Type 2 Forum.
Colin :compress:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:00 am

Great! if you run ahead of schedule feel free to show up earlier! The wife is going to Miami for the weekend and then returning so I can go back to Miami and work for 2 days on Mon-Tues so my son is already excited because he calls that time "man weekend" and we always cook Kelbasa and other manly foods when she is out. :geek: He's going to very excited to know you are also attending "man weekend" now too! SO if Naranja behaves and you arrive Saturday we welcome you! You have full run of the place here as long as you want to stay whether I'm here or not and the wife wants you to show you her recently purchased classic bug during your visit too. :cheers:
jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:27 pm

satchmo wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: I'm still here, and I don't even own an ACVW no more....
Tim
And me. And I don't even have sparkplugs.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:08 am

glasseye wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: I'm still here, and I don't even own an ACVW no more....
Tim
And me. And I don't even have sparkplugs.
Well, it is time to own an air-cooled VW yes more.
There is no better way to greet the road.
Colin

VW Treasure
I'm New!

Post by VW Treasure » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:17 am

Merry Christmas brother Colin (I know, I know, you ain't no priest or Saint; you just provide ongoing miracles and answer many of our prayers through your yearly itinerary visits)! I hope Santa brought you everything you'd wish for! When I think of Santa's sleight, for some reason Chloe comes to mind! Anyways...speaking of Chloe; I recall my family members salivating over Chloe's pristine example of a Cargo mat, and been this item one of the last missing pieces of the puzzle to get our own bus (Dory) finalized, I wanted to ask you and the outstanding members of this wonderful site where I may purchase such a fine specimen. I have seen the one up for sell on a couple of sites, but none seem to be an original replacement. Any thought? Hope all is well!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:44 pm

VW Treasure wrote:Merry Christmas brother Colin (I know, I know, you ain't no priest or Saint; you just provide ongoing miracles and answer many of our prayers through your yearly itinerary visits)! I hope Santa brought you everything you'd wish for! When I think of Santa's sleight, for some reason Chloe comes to mind! Anyways...speaking of Chloe; I recall my family members salivating over Chloe's pristine example of a Cargo mat, and been this item one of the last missing pieces of the puzzle to get our own bus (Dory) finalized, I wanted to ask you and the outstanding members of this wonderful site where I may purchase such a fine specimen. I have seen the one up for sell on a couple of sites, but none seem to be an original replacement. Any thought? Hope all is well!

The cargo carpet is TMI looped pile and its goldy yellowy color is bizarre for their description of "saddle" brown.

Your bus needs

VW CARPET KIT (REAR CARGO AREA) 1973-79 VW BUS
$142.95
VW Carpet Kit (Rear Cargo Area) 1973-79 VW Bus

407 Salt & Pepper Loop

Part #: 34-R2106-407 Salt/Pepper Loop

I recommend a backing underneath . . .

Merry Christmas!
Colin

VW Treasure
I'm New!

Post by VW Treasure » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:25 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I definitely need the carpet kit for the interior. However, I now see that I failed to be more specific. I was actually referring to the original / OEM rubber cargo mat inside Chloe. I just had the middle seat and rear seat re-upholstered and wanted to get a replacement rubber cargo mat with the correct holes / slits to be able to install these without having to cut through the mat. The few replacement mats I have found are not like the OEM with the holes or gaps for the brackets / foot plates.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:38 pm

VW Treasure wrote:Thanks for the quick reply! I definitely need the carpet kit for the interior. However, I now see that I failed to be more specific. I was actually referring to the original / OEM rubber cargo mat inside Chloe. I just had the middle seat and rear seat re-upholstered and wanted to get a replacement rubber cargo mat with the correct holes / slits to be able to install these without having to cut through the mat. The few replacement mats I have found are not like the OEM with the holes or gaps for the brackets / foot plates.
211863711G $110.00 front

211863781A $48.00 aisle

211863731 $185.00 PASSENGER COMPARTMENT

Chloe's is a sucky replacement with a nasty seam that the oem doesn't have. You DO have to cut out the rubber and you do have to be very careful, very methodical, to make sure that you do not cut where you are not supposed to. Make sure it is centered, even taped, before you mark off the seat frame slots + the bolt cut-outs + the heater pipe cover plate*. It is fun, it is easy, I use a dremel to finish the edges with smooth radii.
Colin

(* see the heater pipe cover plate cut-out under the center seating position? )

VW Treasure
I'm New!

Post by VW Treasure » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:32 pm

Damn it Colin; you ALWAYS aim to please! :blackeye: Thanks again for the helpful imput...and please; whatever you do and say, do NOT criticize Chloe or any part of her! You, better than anyone else, can attest to the many folks who have come across her and admired her refined details and beautiful finish, including the beautiful rubber cargo mat!

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:42 pm

Many of us are still here, just distracted, busy, and quiet! Glad to know 2015 was a good itinerary year and that you'll be continuing in 2016! Happy New Year!

It's a strange feeling to still be driving the air-cooled VWs in December. I drove the Bus to work today!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:06 pm

vwlover77 wrote:Many of us are still here, just distracted, busy, and quiet! Glad to know 2015 was a good itinerary year and that you'll be continuing in 2016! Happy New Year!

It's a strange feeling to still be driving the air-cooled VWs in December. I drove the Bus to work today!
It was a strange feeling to be painting the tailgate surround seal channel here in Atlanta on December 28th at 70* too . . . I have appreciated the warmth, but the precipitation has been horrendous, the rust, the rust, the rust, the rust.
Colin!
(how many miles on your engine now?
I assume your brakes haul you down in a straight line :cyclopsani: )

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:48 pm

Amskeptic wrote:

The center seat frame side cover/plate really cleans up the look, I love it. Does the BobD have the center seat heater outlet hiding behind that? Or were those not always installed on all passenger models? Same with the center seat headrests - were they optional, or just not retained/installed?
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:44 am

airkooledchris wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: The center seat frame side cover/plate really cleans up the look, I love it. Does the BobD have the center seat heater outlet hiding behind that? Or were those not always installed on all passenger models? Same with the center seat headrests - were they optional, or just not retained/installed?
All of my buses have sported that cover from the factory, BobD and Road Warrior's in generic black, Chloe in dark brown.

In both the Road Warrior and the BobD, I took out the rear seat heat register to free up under-seat storage room. I have a perfect rear seat register barely used from the BobD, and a Colin-painted Road Warrior register in my storage unit. Chloe has the older style double registers with shut-off valves under the rear seat itself. Those used to favor the rear seat passengers too much. In typical German fashion, the floor block-off plate has a spring-loaded hinge so you can just pull it up and stick the register in the hole.
Colin

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:33 pm

Amskeptic wrote: (how many miles on your engine now?
I assume your brakes haul you down in a straight line :cyclopsani: )
32,382 miles on the engine and still running well; the brakes do indeed continue to deliver straight stops!

I hope our Westys can meet in 2016. I still want to swap engines. :geek:
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen