Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Georgia

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Georgia

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:20 am

You would be forgiven if you thought I had died.

In fact, it has been quite a month, a month of exercising strenuously in most every category of existence.
I howled at God for days when the eclipse was eclipsed by sullen cloud cover.
We have had family dramas here at my brother's house in Atlanta.
I have had mechanical dramas with Chloe's engine.
We had a gate drama at the storage unit where I was perched on the sharp tines atop the gate,
"Hey, what are you doing there!"
And today, I am to buy a 1977 Westy that I don't want to keep.

Thirty two days ago, I drove through Baltimore Maryland, street after street of hard-lived houses:

I'll say this, there was actually energy on the sidewalks, people interacting with people, some loudly, some relaxed in the early afternoon:

There were some rough neighborhoods, I imagine that the nights could be tense:

This is the local high school, a beat building, trembling under the daily bashing of students with nary a hope of "maintenance":

Soon thereafter, as Chloe's shock absorbers began to gasp with frothed oil from the incessant potholes, I found the beltway. Pow! Smooth as glass, beautiful stripes, manicured shoulder grass, why, we must be in the Congressional Legislator Commuter Zone. In heavy traffic, I took this shot because it looked so other-worldly:

I had an appointment with cheesehead. I always go straight to the coffee for a double expresso and sit at the kitchen island and take in that lovely house. We did valve adjustment, timing check, annual tea cup portrait (folks, I think I shall look 95 years old by the age of 60 - FINE! Let's All Get Old Together):

It is a good little Raby kit engine, and we spanked it just a bit in the surrounding dense traffic as I checked for a balky shifter, then did a stop plate adjustment in a parking lot up somewhere. We ended the day with an as usual excellent little dinner:

Down to Woodbridge VA to visit with jnj77bus, another hopeful hardworking VW aficionado with a beautiful bus. Alas, under the lovely blue/white paint, yet another engine tragedy lurked, a recent rebuild that needed to be torn down. I sure don't want to ever indict an engine, recommend removal and disassembly, then find nothing wrong, but I was driven to that conclusion in short order. Here was the presenting symptom:
The engine was a GEX rebuild in 1998.
Since 2014
New jugs New Pistons New heads from GEX New dual weber 44's

The valves have been set on the heads to .006
Timing has been adjusted
Here's my problem. No power.
When I get going up a hill, I press the gas, it goes to the floor and I lose speed.
If the hill isn't too high, I lose speed, but make it over the hill.
Once I'm over I can get back up to 55-60 mph.
Flat road is fine, but no big hills. I've been stranded before and the engine will not start.
It's as if it gets too hot or something.
I have gotten this bus engine as far as I can go. I need some professional help,

This recently rebuilt engine had a tragically fatal problem, yet a such a willing heart. The above quote straight off my customer is a warning flag for all of us. I have mentioned this before, low power must be investigated!
So, I was there investigating. Had to drive it. Had to experience this low power. Had to hear with my own ears the sound of this engine suffering from detonation under load.
Although we performed the full tune-up and got the timing and mixtures to within survivable parameters, the engine none-the-less had low power, detonation, and overheating.
Thus, I declared that it was architecturally unsound, and needed to be disassembled, thus increasing the number of Doctor Death diagnoses to five this summer alone.
As soon as I have theSamba link to this unfortunate saga, I will edit/post it here.

( edit p3 - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... highlight= )

Way back on October 2nd, I dropped Chloe's engine to do a simple end play reduction:

I had my camera out and I was going to make almost a Procedure, so simple and straightforward a job was expecting:

.008" end play is just not acceptable to me, I can feel the magnesium getting pounded. A whole summer of wear on the pressure plate hadn't even taken out my cross hatches of last November:

All hell broke loose when I got lost with the indexing. My center punch had only made a shiny dot when I thought it had made a dent that would survive cleaning. You can see the dot on the bottom dowel:

The shims showed some odd wear marks, either two rings at the edges, or one stripe of wear in the middle:

Got the end play down to .0035" and tore the top off the engine to see if I had an oil leak beginning to develop at the oil cooler seals:

Naaaaaaah, it's the case, the weld-repaired case, poor thing:

Hey, gotta go, I will be back . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re:Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Georgia

Post by whc03grady » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:45 pm

Amskeptic wrote:I took this shot because it looked so other-worldly:

You're not the only one who's commented on that scene.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:00 am

Phew. Glad to hear you are...okalivestilltruckingorsomethingish. I hope the weather has been tolerable for the majority of your visit. Last week and weekend were nice. Things should clear in a day or two.
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:34 am

Hey jimbear, everything else is so intolerable that the intolerability of the weather is more tolerable.
Whyyyyyyy, I got so annoyed with everything that I ... ... ... ... :

A)

B)

C)

... ... ... replaced the chrome surround in the rear window rubber.
Colin

BEFORE

AFTER

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:55 am

Looks like they actually sent you enough chrome trim this time...

:pirate:
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:49 pm

asiab3 wrote:Looks like they actually sent you enough chrome trim this time...

:pirate:
Got a whole roll from England. Still hoping to fabricate a seal groove stretcher that allows me insert new trim without removing the seals on the side windows surrounded by that pretty original headliner. I will problablabidity have to remove the windshield to make a single piece trim once again.
Colin

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:54 pm

'77 Westy ??
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Ronin10
Getting Hooked!

Post by Ronin10 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:33 am

So I take this 77 Westy is the one from the Samba thread...been in storage for 20 years, etc.?
Oscar: 1976 Sage Green Bus, Stock Motor, Solid Lifters, Manual Transaxle

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:33 am

Ronin10 wrote:So I take this 77 Westy is the one from the Samba thread...been in storage for 20 years, etc.?
Yes it is. I believe it is the same color as yours and Yellowbird 1 and Yellowbird 2 in Los Alamos, and others.
Colin

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:58 am

So, did you pull the trigger, and take delivery? You say you "don't want to keep" ... that is much different than actually selling. :flower:

I say you do next itinerary lap with it ...you just might want to keep it as your itinerary vehicle; i know how you are partial to the people hauling capacity of the transporters ... but think you will find the empty floor space that doubles as a cargo bed, and the fold out z-bed very useful.

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Re:Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Georgia

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:11 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:So, did you pull the trigger, and take delivery? You say you "don't want to keep" ... that is much different than actually selling. :flower:

I say you do next itinerary lap with it ...you just might want to keep it as your itinerary vehicle; i know how you are partial to the people hauling capacity of the transporters ... but think you will find the empty floor space that doubles as a cargo bed, and the fold out z-bed very useful.

Cheers,
Mike
Absolutely worse storage capacity for Itinerary Inventory. You have no idea how densely packed my 7 passenger buses are with under seat storage and rear compartment. What am I supposed to do every time I want to fold out the z-bed, move the:
* 4 gallon bottles of water
* box of 2 containers of Tide/Bleach + quarters bag
* laundry bag
* hand weights
* heavy auxiliary box of suspension tools
* painting supplies box
* auxiliary projects box comprising disassembled electric and spare Pierburg pump
* straight run of fresh air hose
every time?
Maybe I will like pop-top atrium residence. Then I have an open poptop to call forth the nefarious denizens of the night who pad right past Chloe unaware that I am nested down there on the floor.

I'll try a couple of nights, just to see. Maybe I can do the Portland contingent's favorite dripping ferns camp-out with them.
Colin

Ronin10
Getting Hooked!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Georgia

Post by Ronin10 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:41 am

If the creaking old bones can handle the crawl into the upper bunk, I think you'd be able to maintain a suitable floor/cargo area configuration for your tag along items, tools, hygene, etc. Given your proclivity for star-bathing, you might also consider bringing along a hammock. I've done several solo camping trips like this and it's wonderful to sleep. A hammock and a bug net will only fill up a small, small space.

And truth be told, if you're going to sell this on, having some of the bugs shaken out through an itinerant circuit would up it's value among the fanbase/potential buyers.

I will stay this...it certainly sounds like it would be a vast improvement on mine, even with its known issues. If so, having done a circuit like that - even a partial - I'd gladly take it off your hands when you arrive to Seattle then fly you back to pick up Chloe or the BobD to complete the itinerary. Kind of splits up the itinerary a bit, but it's something to file in the back of your mind as a possibility. I guess I haven't figured out what to do with your tools and stuff in the little fantasy scenario of mine, but as I've been thinking for many months about selling Greta and trying to find another bus in better condition, this one struck a chord with me.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: Re:Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Georgia

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:49 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Absolutely worse storage capacity for Itinerary Inventory. You have no idea how densely packed my 7 passenger buses are with under seat storage and rear compartment. What am I supposed to do every time I want to fold out the z-bed, move the:
* 4 gallon bottles of water -
* box of 2 containers of Tide/Bleach + quarters bag
* laundry bag
* hand weights
* heavy auxiliary box of suspension tools
* painting supplies box
* auxiliary projects box comprising disassembled electric and spare Pierburg pump
* straight run of fresh air hose
every time?
Maybe I will like pop-top atrium residence. Then I have an open poptop to call forth the nefarious denizens of the night who pad right past Chloe unaware that I am nested down there on the floor.

I'll try a couple of nights, just to see. Maybe I can do the Portland contingent's favorite dripping ferns camp-out with them.
Colin
let's see....
* 4 gallon bottles of water - no need - have the 5 gallon holding tank in the cabinet
* box of 2 containers of Tide/Bleach + quarters bag - inside kitchen cabinet
* laundry bag - inside closet
* hand weights - under z bed
* heavy auxiliary box of suspension tools - under z bed
* painting supplies box inside cabinet, or in cubbies
* auxiliary projects box comprising disassembled electric and spare Pierburg pump - under zbed
* straight run of fresh air hose - ?? ummm... Westies have these cool screened windows - will you need it?

Plus you have all the little cubbies in the back, and don't forget the overhead storage above the z-bed. My favorite storage spot, however, appears to be missing from yours or cut from '77 production; that is the stool that doubles as a storage container. I keep all my kitchen supplies in there along with a big pot.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Ronin10
Getting Hooked!

Post by Ronin10 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:22 pm

A small utility trailer would haul all that too. I just bought a 400kg Westfalia trailer from notchboy. Would work perfect for haulling a lot of that big heavy stuff too. You wouldn't even know it's back there. He will have 10 more here as well long before you get to the Seattle area. Yet another option for you.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:44 pm

Ronin10 wrote:If the creaking old bones can handle the crawl into the upper bunk, I think you'd be able to maintain a suitable floor/cargo area configuration for your tag along items, tools, hygene, etc. Given your proclivity for star-bathing, you might also consider bringing along a hammock. I've done several solo camping trips like this and it's wonderful to sleep. A hammock and a bug net will only fill up a small, small space.

And truth be told, if you're going to sell this on, having some of the bugs shaken out through an itinerant circuit would up it's value among the fanbase/potential buyers.

I will stay this...it certainly sounds like it would be a vast improvement on mine, even with its known issues. If so, having done a circuit like that - even a partial - I'd gladly take it off your hands when you arrive to Seattle then fly you back to pick up Chloe or the BobD to complete the itinerary. Kind of splits up the itinerary a bit, but it's something to file in the back of your mind as a possibility. I guess I haven't figured out what to do with your tools and stuff in the little fantasy scenario of mine, but as I've been thinking for many months about selling Greta and trying to find another bus in better condition, this one struck a chord with me.

Oh boy... they're already circling waiting to pounce!! :cherry:

There's a potential pay day for Colin after he meticulously goes thru this bus's systems and gets it running and performing like new, especially with those low miles. I'm quite certain that there would be a bidding war on it after he signs off that it is ready to roll/sell.

I'll also vote that I think you should consider doing next years itinerant tour with this Westfalia. It would be a nice break from your other two buses and provide you with more comfortable amenities each night.

I hope you start a new thread Colin as you start your process of bringing this bus back to life!
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.