Itinerant's Still Lame Cow in Cheyenne

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant's Still Lame Cow in Cheyenne

Post by asiab3 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:11 pm

Amskeptic wrote: "THANK-you. You know, I have never had a HAND JOB before . . . "
Chloe's cylinder head spigots on the other hand…
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:17 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:[At that price for them, they should of come w/a coupon for free hand job from a local massage place. :drunken:
Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that they did come with a coupon for a free hand job from a local massage parlor.
"You customa fwum Woofsbug West?"
"Why YES, YES I AM. Where do we start?"
"Go down haw, make wight."
"THANK-you. You know, I have never had a HAND JOB before . . . "
"I not announce that if I you."
ColinInKansas
LMAO!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEEWE7gcPw0
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:02 pm

Aluminum and magnesium develop a protective surface patina, but iron will flake off one layer at a time
Colin I was an industrial designer in a past life, I can attest by experience. All of the cast iron gearbox housings were left in the elements to season on purpose. I was assured by engineers that it was part of the process. It does not flake through the exterior steel or iron once it has been seasoned properly. The same is true for steel, look at RR tracks they aren't painted but the sides do rust. Granted nothing lasts forever.

Machinery's Handbook
https://books.google.com/books?id=G7S2B ... ry&f=false

1920 Machinery
https://books.google.com/books?id=fc87A ... ry&f=false

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/ge ... ron-87355/
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:36 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Drove 328 miles further into the I-80 traverse of the Rockies, which is actually very gradual....
It is gradual indeed; one of the most interesting geological stories in North America and the highway's there because of it.
"On the east flank of the Laramie Range is a piece of ground that somehow escaped exhumation. Actually contiguous with Miocene remains that extend far into Nebraska, it is the only place between Mexico and Canada where the surface that covered the mountains still reaches up to a summit. To the north and south of it, excavation has been deep and wide, and the mountain front is of formidable demeanor. Yet this one piece of the Great Plains--extremely narrow but still intact--extends like a finger and, as ever, touches the mountain core: the pink deroofed Precambrian granite, the top of the range. At this place, as nowhere else, you can step off the Great Plains directly onto a Rocky Mountain summit. It is known to geologists as the gangplank."
John McPhee, Rising from the Plains
Amskeptic wrote:No big firs and craggy peaks, why it looks (and felt br-r-r-r) like it is about a month after the retreat the of the glaciers.
I'm not positive but I think that part of Wyoming escaped glaciation during the Pinedale/Fraser era; wind is the principal sculptor there (as anyone who's driven I-80 through The Equality State should have no trouble believing).
Amskeptic wrote:I was advised that I had crested the Continental Divide more than once.
Wyoming has the only two holes in the [ahem] Great Divide, of which I'm aware. Such holes are of two possible types: one, where water drains to neither the Atlantic nor Pacific--the Great Divide Basin, which you entered outside of Rawlins and exited around Table Rock; two, where water drains to either the Atlantic or Pacific--a little stream in the wilderness South of Yellowstone which splits into two upon encountering an otherwise nondescript ridge, a nondescript ridge which happens to demarcate the Great Divide.

</pedantry>
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:40 pm

hambone wrote:
Aluminum and magnesium develop a protective surface patina, but iron will flake off one layer at a time
Colin I was an industrial designer in a past life, I can attest by experience. All of the cast iron gearbox housings were left in the elements to season on purpose. I was assured by engineers that it was part of the process. It does not flake through the exterior steel or iron once it has been seasoned properly. The same is true for steel, look at RR tracks they aren't painted but the sides do rust. Granted nothing lasts forever.
Maybe we are cross-talking or sumpin.

Seasoning/stress-relieving I am fully familiar with, especially in engine rebuilding. It is primarily the cyclical expansion/contraction of temperature changes that relieves stress in complex castings that will have extremely precise machining operations. Letting the thing rust is not a goal, it is a consequence.

Railroad tracks are steel which do not rust like grey iron. Stainless steel exhaust systems, torsion bars, high-grade steel, won't flake off in chunks. Railroad tracks will never flake off in gobs like I have seen with cast iron cylinder blocks and over-cooked northeast ventilated brake disks and Ford differential housings and old VW rear brake drums. You lived in Chicago. Did you ever replace brake disks there? Holy.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:40 pm

I am talking about leaving cast iron to rust, as it won't harm the part. Road salts etc. are a different matter.
On cast iron the patina is iron oxide ( to the chemist it's iron oxide to the rest of us it's just rust). Cast iron rusts extremely quickly. In fact cast iron will begin to rust when the relative humidity exceeds about 64%! Unlike steel, however, the rust on cast iron is not invasive but will act like a coating to prevent deep rusting. Therefore rusting on cast iron gratings in no way harms their structural integrity. The patination of cast iron grates goes through a predictable set of stages. The duration of each stage depends on local moisture conditions and the amount of foot traffic. So grates will progress slower in the desert than at the beach but the process is inevitable regardless of location.
http://www.ironsmith.cc/patina.htm

http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:31 pm

whc03grady wrote:It is gradual indeed; one of the most interesting geological stories in North America
Indeed it was. Imagine stepping off the prairie onto a mountaintop. :cheers:

I love geography. Thanks for reminding me. :salute:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:10 am

whc03grady wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Drove 328 miles further into the I-80 traverse of the Rockies, which is actually very gradual....
It is gradual indeed; one of the most interesting geological stories in North America and the highway's there because of it.
"On the east flank of the Laramie Range is a piece of ground that somehow escaped exhumation. Actually contiguous with Miocene remains that extend far into Nebraska, it is the only place between Mexico and Canada where the surface that covered the mountains still reaches up to a summit. To the north and south of it, excavation has been deep and wide, and the mountain front is of formidable demeanor. Yet this one piece of the Great Plains--extremely narrow but still intact--extends like a finger and, as ever, touches the mountain core: the pink deroofed Precambrian granite, the top of the range. At this place, as nowhere else, you can step off the Great Plains directly onto a Rocky Mountain summit. It is known to geologists as the gangplank."
John McPhee, Rising from the Plains
Amskeptic wrote:No big firs and craggy peaks, why it looks (and felt br-r-r-r) like it is about a month after the retreat the of the glaciers.
I'm not positive but I think that part of Wyoming escaped glaciation during the Pinedale/Fraser era; wind is the principal sculptor there (as anyone who's driven I-80 through The Equality State should have no trouble believing).
Amskeptic wrote:I was advised that I had crested the Continental Divide more than once.
Wyoming has the only two holes in the [ahem] Great Divide, of which I'm aware. Such holes are of two possible types: one, where water drains to neither the Atlantic nor Pacific--the Great Divide Basin, which you entered outside of Rawlins and exited around Table Rock; two, where water drains to either the Atlantic or Pacific--a little stream in the wilderness South of Yellowstone which splits into two upon encountering an otherwise nondescript ridge, a nondescript ridge which happens to demarcate the Great Divide.

</pedantry>
Yay, a fellow geonerd!
Gawd I love it when you talk orogenic to me.

Small world: The wife of one of us Los Alamos bus owners just got elected/appointed to Vice-President of the Geological Society of America! Rocks and buses...
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:14 am

whc03grady wrote: </pedantry>
I love that stuff. Thank-you.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles