Itinerant Air Cooled Minneapolis 1

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Itinerant Air Cooled Minneapolis 1

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:28 pm

dingo wrote: Personally I relish the challenge of rewiring..the more f***ed up the PO spaghetti , the better!

Me too! It's amazing what previous owners do to "fix" electrical issues! When I got my bus a year ago, it had a dead short in the rear light circuit. A new fuse would POP with explosive force! It took me about 15 minutes to find it. The harness that is above the rear deck lid was cut by the hold down tabs over 45 years.

Fun times!
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:18 am

dingo wrote:d)* i discovered by experience, that if going by feel, the dimmer relay on 71 can fit in two possible ways...one blows fuse#12 , 180deg fit is the correct one

Personally I relish the challenge of rewiring..the more f***ed up the PO spaghetti , the better! (Admittedly, the crunch of limited time schedule doesnt comply with that type of fun)
Well, Lisa and I know that "s" terminal goes to the brown/white wire stuck in the relay board. But thanks for the experiencial tip. I will keep that nugget in mind.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:23 pm

dingo wrote:Personally I relish the challenge of rewiring..the more fucked up the PO spaghetti , the better! (Admittedly, the crunch of limited time schedule doesnt comply with that type of fun)
I totally understand this. On my bus, it's almost a sport to keep removing el-cheapo wire splices that hack up my original wiring. Every hack I've taken out a hack, the original system works perfectly. I'll never understand...

However, on friends buses, it's a nightmare. I recently went through a '68 singlecab where the Bosch alternator was giving out enough voltage to turn off the idiot light but not giving enough amperage to charge anything. Add sixteen thousand hacks to the electrical system........ We finished around one AM and I didn't make it to work on time the next day.

:pukeright:
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:53 pm

just re-reading this...

viewtopic.php?t=2910#p42960

I so totally remember that visit....
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:14 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:just re-reading this...

viewtopic.php?t=2910#p42960

I so totally remember that visit....
Man, tripping down Memory Lane . . .
There is Bookwus gently suggesting that I take better care of my health, and here I am driving his bus and not really taking better care of my health, sort of, but not really, and all of my friends like vwlover77 and Elwood and bretski and Sylvester and where are they, these days? I do not remember that that was October, short days and colder and colder and misty and rainy and I am enjoying today's 90*s the more for having read that. Well, the good news is that I do not miss the Gulfstream and my blood sugar is still below 90.
Colin :blackeye:

EskimoTom
I'm New!

Post by EskimoTom » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:49 am

Way to go llarosa16!

Way to jump into the deep end of the project pool. I plan to get on next years schedule which will Colin even more time to bounce back and forth in Minnesota.

I stopped in to visit BellePlaine Chris to get some sense of what the experience of Colin's visit is before I committed to next year.

As you described, and what I witnessed in Belle Plaine, was the speed and depth of an immense challenge one can find themselves in within a seemingly short period of time when Colin is on site. It gave me a lot of perspective.

Many bus projects I don't choose to jump into because I fear I can't get back to point A. It helps to have the reassurance of someone like Colin as a guide.

Colin, it was a pleasure meeting you, I finally read up on some of your back story on theSamba and I'm impressed with the path you chose. And put me on the list for the book! I can't imagine a better way to gather research for a book project, I hope it is as rich in repair detail as it is woven in the fabric of the VW people you meet along the way. You have the opportunity to create a true successor to Muir's contribution. So much has changed since he wrote his book.

I can hardly wait until it evolves into the next level where we can rely on each other to serve as guides.

Sorry I missed the barley/ hops VW get together in Shakopee, Chris mentioned it to me, however my wife and I are still pulling 50 hours a week at work, we don't happen to have much time to spare at the moment.

I still have to go through the brakes on my recently acquired '71 Sportmobile Camper. At the speed I'm going, this may very well be one of the projects for Colin's visit. However, I hope to have him help me fire up the split window bus when it comes back from body and paint work next spring.

+ If any of you folks, especially in Minnesota, have a split bus I would truly appreciate some fellowship, I really would like some hands on guidance on how to put a stone stock 1600 motor together for my splittie. I have one in pieces on the bench.

Regards, and have a celebrated 4th,

Eskimo Tom
1971 Camper. Sportmobile. "Rusty"

MuedeStefan
I'm New!

Post by MuedeStefan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 am

Ah- seems I've missed out on plenty this year, time to refocus apparently ;)

(My bus suffered a broken crank back in June, and am still struggling with the newly rebuilt motor...(runs hot and slow) )

Any way - Lisa mentioned above had reached out on out local Facebook group, as her bus was not willing to start

I had some time open so we spent a sunny Sunday with several dozen angry bees working on the bus together with her father in law.

we got the beast running - it was an interesting combination of no gas and a loosened distributor clamp that was holding us back.

(This was after I muddied the waters by trying another fuel pump in an attempt to waste time apparently)

Prost!
Stefan
Morgen Morgen, nicht immer Heute

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:17 pm

MuedeStefan wrote:Ah- seems I've missed out on plenty this year, time to refocus apparently ;)

(My bus suffered a broken crank back in June, and am still struggling with the newly rebuilt motor...(runs hot and slow) )

Any way - Lisa mentioned above had reached out on out local Facebook group, as her bus was not willing to start

I had some time open so we spent a sunny Sunday with several dozen angry bees working on the bus together with her father in law.

we got the beast running - it was an interesting combination of no gas and a loosened distributor clamp that was holding us back.

(This was after I muddied the waters by trying another fuel pump in an attempt to waste time apparently)

Prost!
Stefan
No GAS?? I have to go heckle Lisa, be right back . . . :flower:

llarosa16
I'm New!

Post by llarosa16 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:03 pm

Yea, yea, yea...I've been wearing the cone of shame ever since. On a brighter note, Betty Anne is kicking Farmington's ass so far! Loved meeting Stefan! I'm comforted knowing, I've got a few friends in the bus world. Builds confidence!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:04 am

llarosa16 wrote:Yea, yea, yea...I've been wearing the cone of shame ever since. On a brighter note, Betty Anne is kicking Farmington's ass so far! Loved meeting Stefan! I'm comforted knowing, I've got a few friends in the bus world. Builds confidence!
We call it the Dunce Cap.
I am currently wearing it.
Colin < : - [ [