Still Alive . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Still Alive . . .

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:03 am

Somehow . . .

Much flux in Minnesota. Challenges. Today is another dual carb retrofit, Grifftenstein.

Yesterday, we tore up Belle Plaine's heater cables with a dremel attack.

Day before, oh my:

Stay tuned. This is llarosa16's bus, Betty Anne, and we *are* getting this car back together if it kills me.
Might, too.
ColinOffToWork
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

the miz
Addicted!

Re: Still Alive . . .

Post by the miz » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:09 am

...well, at least we got to spend some time together talking VW, enjoying grilled meats and learning about the malting process at Rahr Malting Co. in Shakopee on a lovely MN evening! -miz
Attachments
RahrVW2.jpg
RahrVW2.jpg (7.45 KiB) Viewed 8355 times
1982 Westy- Vana White

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:25 pm

My worst nightmare. Look at all those splices....

Good luck. :geek:

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

jcbrock
Getting Hooked!

Post by jcbrock » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:57 am

the miz wrote:...well, at least we got to spend some time together talking VW, enjoying grilled meats and learning about the malting process at Rahr Malting Co. in Shakopee on a lovely MN evening! -miz
That does it, I never find out about these things. I'm hittin' the Oregon Trail (checks pemmican supply...yep, good to go).
'76 Type II Station Wagon - in the family since new!
Corvallis, OR

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:05 am

Looks like my Ghia's did. Find a old wiring harness and replace the odd wire with the real color coded stuff and solder the splices using shrink wrap tubing to make it like new.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:58 am

jcbrock wrote:That does it, I never find out about these things. I'm hittin' the Oregon Trail (checks pemmican supply...yep, good to go).
...if I didn't work at Rahr, I mightn't have know about it either...next year we'll try to be better about putting up a posting about the "MN IAC social" a few days ahead of time.

-miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

EskimoTom
I'm New!

Post by EskimoTom » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:54 pm

Aloha. First time posting for me here on Itinerant-Air-Cooled.

At Belle Plaine's suggestion, I made the trek down from Cold Spring MN to visit Chris while Colin was in Belle Plaine (June 16TH).

My self appointed role was to take pictures because Colin is always asking for you folks to put them up here and you know you get so busy working, there is no way to take any pictures while you are in the groove.

I figured I could lend a hand where needed and stay outta the way during the quality time between the two. I did help dust off a blower motor housing, help tug and twist a doomed heater cable and I snapped a bunch of pictures. I was that useful hand you need when both of you are under the vehicle and you need the special tool that's still in the tool box.

I will leave it to Belle Plaine to post up his summary of the trip visit along with all the pictures.

If you just can't wait to see them, you can find them by going to the Samba gallery, use the search function then include: "AmSkeptic Visits Belle Plaine," as the keywords.

I didn't want to steal the commentary of the experience from Chris, but I also wanted to introduce myself, let people know the visit was real and at least, it didn't rain while I was there, but it was on the way.

I came away with a down right positive impression of the experience. I intend to save my pennies and get on next year's Itinerary.

Eskimo Tom
1971 Camper. Sportmobile. "Rusty"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:10 am

EskimoTom wrote:Aloha. First time posting for me here on Itinerant-Air-Cooled.

At Belle Plaine's suggestion, I made the trek down from Cold Spring MN to visit Chris while Colin was in Belle Plaine (June 16TH).

My self appointed role was to take pictures because Colin is always asking for you folks to put them up here and you know you get so busy working, there is no way to take any pictures while you are in the groove.

I figured I could lend a hand where needed and stay outta the way during the quality time between the two. I did help dust off a blower motor housing, help tug and twist a doomed heater cable and I snapped a bunch of pictures. I was that useful hand you need when both of you are under the vehicle and you need the special tool that's still in the tool box.

I will leave it to Belle Plaine to post up his summary of the trip visit along with all the pictures.

If you just can't wait to see them, you can find them by going to the Samba gallery, use the search function then include: "AmSkeptic Visits Belle Plaine," as the keywords.

I didn't want to steal the commentary of the experience from Chris, but I also wanted to introduce myself, let people know the visit was real and at least, it didn't rain while I was there, but it was on the way.

I came away with a down right positive impression of the experience. I intend to save my pennies and get on next year's Itinerary.

Eskimo Tom
Good to meet you, Tom. Glad to see you here. Pictures. We need pictures. Chris, how 'bout those heater cables, yaah?
ColinFindTheClip

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:57 am

Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:52 pm

poptop tom wrote:Here is the album!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... t_dir=DESC
Lot of pictures. They could not do justice to the horrors we committed on the left heater cable.
Colin HailRainLightningWiiiiiindThunDER atIowaBorder

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:56 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Lot of pictures. They could not do justice to the horrors we committed on the left heater cable.
There are captions on the pictures, so I'm trying to find a way to read them sequentially…
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:09 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
There are captions on the pictures, so I'm trying to find a way to read them sequentially…
I have been granted permission to poach them and fold them into the write-up.
ColinLovingThisLittle1600Trouper

Here's one: