Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings North East

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings North East

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 26, 2015 2:23 pm

The last couple of weeks has been a Tour Of My Life.
After visiting the family homestead in Virginia, I drove to Connecticut and right past the very spot where I was long ago introduced to the secrets of Womanhood (by another Virginia) for the very first time. That reed of a Japanese maple out front is now a huge sprawling facsimile of a hundred-year-old oak.

Drozdenko needed a little guidance on a sliding door cable adjustment and Ethan (registered here as spin n wheels) had a fresh engine rebuild to break in. After a little futzing with coffee makers and exhaust system and valve adjustment-come-leaky valve covers, we started the engine for the first time. I am all ears for the break-in run. There are a lot of parts getting to know each other for the first time. Well, I heard something amiss. Hoping to keep speculation to a minimum, I would not say what I thought it was. We removed the alternator belt. Seemed better, and it did feel like a damaged bearing when we spun the alternator. Ethan expertly, from many prior practices, replaced the alternator lickity split with drozdenko providing guidance and light:

Alas, sounds kept building up, and rapidly. We removed the fan. Nope, still getting noisier. Now I have to guess when we have to shut this show down because we don't want things to break. It becomes a group effort - all hands on deck:

Scurryingly still more yet we get, as the implications sink in that this engine may be very sick. Fan off next:

Noise still here. We do not have a loose fan, or a knocking alternator. I got my BF screwdriver down on the starter teeth. Yep. A little movement while the fan hub stays stationary. The flywheel/flex plate is working loose. End play is opening up, it is a shut down.

There is always a knot in my stomach (too many of these recently!) when I have to take people's hard-earned money to tell them, "yep! it's a no." Often the energy level plummets, often the spouse is how do you say . . . "not happy" and I get all chatter-box. But Ethan rallies to the challenge, promises to take the engine out again, and remain gainfully employed, and he manages to remove a broken bolt from the flex plate and crankshaft, get it all back together and I came back in a week ready for us to complete the break-in. Other than some pesky valve cover leaks from distorted valve covers that only get distorted from people using overly aggressive adhesives to stop leaks ... :

... the engine cooperated nicely for the completed victory lap down the street to the cul-de-sac where I wanted to devastate his reputation in the neighborhood with a couple of asphalt donuts, you know, break in the rings and enjoy the crisp handling of a Vanagon.
"Hey Ethan, was that you engaging in a display of speed in our neighborhood here?"
"No, ah, no, that wasn't me, not rea..."
"You know we have children playing here and ..."
"I, it, he he was he is my 'mechanic' see, and he ..."
"... don't think I wouldn't call the constable."
"...breaking in the rings, he said we had to."

After a brief, hopefully helpful, carburetor adjustment on his friend's baywindow, I came home here to West Shokan for a visit with people I love and godknowshow they still love me back. It looks like the house is going to be put up for sale, and life goes on and hearts are heavy, but new possibilities loom.
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings North East

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 31, 2015 11:28 am

This was a good visit, yet no responses. It was a victory over unexpected obstacles.

Let's shut these forums down and let this website be the staging area for appointments and technical articles. That'll free up some time for replacing generator brushes in the rain and finding out why Chloe would wait until it is 52* rainy and windy to hit me with 426* CHT readings, like I just experienced in that gale out on Route 20 West.
Colin

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun May 31, 2015 12:40 pm

Amskeptic wrote:This was a good visit, yet no responses. It was a victory over unexpected obstacles.

Let's shut these forums down and let this website be the staging area for appointments and technical articles. That'll free up some time for replacing generator brushes in the rain and finding out why Chloe would wait until it is 52* rainy and windy to hit me with 426* CHT readings, like I just experienced in that gale out on Route 20 West.
Colin
No no no, the lack of response is not due to lack of interest… Lack of meaningful contributions on our part? Maybe? The dialogue always gives me a chuckle. But these posts certainly enjoyed by many. In fact, I bet most of the readership here is tuned in well enough to know that this wouldn't be the first time Chloe has decided to disassemble her flaps connecting mechanism. :cyclopsani:

Currently on Gauge Vacation,
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun May 31, 2015 3:47 pm

No, sir! Love all this stuff. That house is really neat...what is up with selling it?

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Sun May 31, 2015 3:52 pm

I think you lost people with the to be continued... Then updating the same post.

It didn't show up for me as "new" until robbies response.
Glad yall got it going. Those prognosis negative visits can't be fun.
But people know you always give it your best and Def give them their money's worth.
60 beetle
78 bus

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sun May 31, 2015 7:59 pm

I always enjoy reading the reports from the road.....for me its the heart and soul of the forum.

...dont always have something intelligent to add, but still enjoy the field reports
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

lilpig88
Getting Hooked!

Post by lilpig88 » Sun May 31, 2015 9:25 pm

Same here.
Checking for new posts is one of my top priorities if I get time on the interwebs. In fact, while returning from a road trip this evening I ran into a fellow in a grocery store in Nebraska who noticed a bus on my t-shirt and asked about it. From there, the conversation lead to this forum as he was trying to get his old bug road worthy. He was ecstatic to hear about such a forum and community, so please (to everyone) keep the updates coming.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun May 31, 2015 10:58 pm

Amskeptic wrote:This was a good visit, yet no responses.... Let's shut these forums down and let this website be the staging area for appointments and technical articles.
I too wish people would post more; I haven't always I think , but some of them have been more substantial, and I find that writing it out at the end of the day helps firm up some things in my mind. Perhaps you can make it a condition of your service... the customer writes it up and posts it. I found a 250-300 word minimum was good for getting reluctant scribers to scribe.

L

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:23 am

Lanval wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:This was a good visit, yet no responses.... Let's shut these forums down and let this website be the staging area for appointments and technical articles.
I too wish people would post more; I haven't always I think , but some of them have been more substantial, and I find that writing it out at the end of the day helps firm up some things in my mind. Perhaps you can make it a condition of your service... the customer writes it up and posts it. I found a 250-300 word minimum was good for getting reluctant scribers to scribe.

L
Perhaps if Chloe will pull off this last leg to Livonia without drama, I won't be so suddenly soddenly sour.
Colin@47*WetFloorboards

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:58 am

I must admit I am guilty of checking up for a good read from your posts Colin almost everyday (except for when I'm fully deep in Guinea Fowl/Chicken chores on weekends) :flower: But do admit I don't post much (including our last visit, sorry! :blackeye: )
Please keep the posts coming they are appreciated here! =D>
Jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:15 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Lanval wrote:

L
Perhaps if Chloe will pull off this last leg to Livonia without drama, I won't be so suddenly soddenly sour.
Colin@47*WetFloorboards
Meh, at least she's not peeing gazoline on the exhaust. The Rat is a trooper, but he's got a bit of Loki in there somewhere...

Squeebles
I'm New!

Post by Squeebles » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:31 am

i am brand new here. Really enjoyed that post, especially the diagnosis of the problem part.... the screwdriver in the starter teeth especially. And really glad there was a happy ending and that Vanagon is rolling again.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:51 am

Amskeptic wrote: pesky valve cover leaks from distorted valve covers that only get distorted from people using overly aggressive adhesives to stop leaks

how would an adhesive cause the valve covers to distort? you mean the cork gaskets or the covers themselves?
1979 California Transporter

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:02 pm

Post on,oh wayward one.
People need to witness
experience and logic working out,over and over.
426°head temps.That becomes emotional, but come on now. Not your first rodeo.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:59 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: pesky valve cover leaks from distorted valve covers that only get distorted from people using overly aggressive adhesives to stop leaks

how would an adhesive cause the valve covers to distort? you mean the cork gaskets or the covers themselves?

Yeah, I read that too and was scratching my head in wonderment. Name some "overly aggressive adhesives" please.....I still use Form-A-Gasket on the valve covers to glue the cork gasket on as I have been since 1969.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/