On Our Way . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

On Our Way . . .

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:54 am

. . . At 165,582 miles, Chloe bravely pulled out into the river of fast-moving modern cars, loaded to the gunwales, poor bus, that little 1600 engine just cranked it up to 3,500 rpm and stayed there for the next twelve hours of moseying along Alabama I-65 to Georgia I-85 on our way to four appointments in the metro-Atlanta area.

A shout-out to jackstar, thank you
(whose rebuild thread languishes in the Type 2 forum as he awaits completion of the paint job)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11563

for hosting the Chloe Winter Freshen, I loved my limited little slice of the Pensacola Experience.

Here's the park that hosted many occasions of music, barbeques, art shows and marathons:

My favorite house in the town:

. . . and my favorite sore thumb proudly flaunting its individuality, the law office of Jack's friend Chris:

A taste of American southern history along the Gulf Coast:

You can imagine the rain rocketing off the metal roof:

Just down the street is the bay that I ran along, trotted along, wheezed along, walked along, second photo shows the Three Mile Bridge on the way to Gulf Breeze:

As I returned from the bay shore, I would jog by the Pensacola Brewing Company:

It had a bicyclists-powered bar that I frequently saw pedal past the Law Firm blaring both music and whoops of liquored up mirth:

. . . rack and pinion steering and four wheel hydraulic brakes:

All occurring under the stern eye of the church just across the street:

The final leg of the morning constitutional included a jog-by Julee's Cottage, a house owned by a "noted free woman of color", quite surprising at the time, apparently:

This is the railroad track that travels right on up the street, exercised heavily at any time of day or night by CSX freight trains that pretty much have to lean on their horns the entire time:

My last full day in Pensacola was occasioned by a lovely wild storm:

Thank-you for the use of your garage, Jack, this car would never have had the opportunity of a new headliner without use of it. It was an unexpected pleasure of spare living in an unexpectedly fallow winterover.
ColinInAtlanta
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: On Our Way . . .

Post by Jivermo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:24 am

Wow, love these pics. Thank you.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks for the pics as I have to go there sometime soon to check it out.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 02, 2015 5:38 am

Now in the greater Atlanta metro area, how is it that I forget about the traffic as easily as I forget about the biting bugs of summer in February and I forget about the slushed up icy potholes in July? I forget all number of discomforts until they remind me.

Had two days of local errands with Alexus The Whisperquiet Lexus LS400, but it refused to offer any air-conditioning, a merciful refusal to coddle me at the threshold of a challenging summer of . . . heat and bugs and heat and humidity. At the storage unit, I taught a Mexican "Import Export Professional" how to adjust valves, all in spanish. He could not speak a lick of English except his opening greeting "Hello my friend." It was a new challenge to explain the operations, all prefaced with "proximo, nosotres debemos . . ." and "como se dice?"

Chloe's clutch disk is apparently annoyed with that winter oil soak when the gland nut loosened on me after I replaced the transaxle. I soaked it in gasoline followed by GumOut and a sanding, but we have a nasty chatter that comes and goes. Other than that, we are running like a young middle-aged bus, it just goes stops steers and stops its way to wherever. I am back in celebrity space, have to give myself time to chat with the numerous people who come up, "wanna sell that thing?"

I met another astonishing tree, a tree that once again shows me a bit of Nature's Handbook Of How To Overcome Adversity. This tree, and a nearby member of the stand, fell over and decided to just keep going. Somehow, they survived on the clumps of dirt that were lodged intheir roots then grew them down quickly enough to keep a full supply of nutrients going, and they have ever since been bending themselves upwards, upwards, it is about upwards, towards the light . . . I was tickled to bear witness to their pluck:

Will report back here with today's Kleinevw and jimbear appointments, tomorrow, Greenolivemedia.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles