The 2015 Main Lap Prep

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: The 2015 Main Lap Prep

Post by asiab3 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:46 pm

Amskeptic wrote: I *need* to update the Autostick thread with the list of "OH NO DON'T DO THAT!"s. Should I, or is that thread now dead?

1) Self-sealing nuts
2) metal washers as spacers on the oil cooler and adapter
3) The connecting rod end that must be weighed for consistency is the BIG end, that is where the rod whips around in a mad arc. At the wrist pin end, the rod is just a slider!
1) My oil pump nuts are backwards too, THANKS.
2) There isn't any information on this. I assembled mine so that the oil cooler was perfectly perpendicular to the mount once torqued down. Zero leaks, but I can't recall where all the washers went. I will keep this in mind for the future.
3) Wouldn't it behoove us zeroed-out piston balancers to also balance the small? Is it not considered reciprocating mass?
...let me know how much movement at the timing mark/case seam you get before you feel the connecting rods load up the effort. Give me the measurement in millimeters of free movement at the crankshaft pulley. Let me know if you hear a little clunk-clunk...
I don't feel any type of clunk or "free play." I don't quite feel any loading up either; perhaps I'm not doing it right, but I feel a smooth rotation only, like a quality stereo volume knob. Is there an approximate measurement I could be in the ballpark of to make sure I'm doing it right?
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:40 am

asiab3 wrote: 1) My oil pump nuts are backwards too, THANKS.
2) There isn't any information on this. I assembled mine so that the oil cooler was perfectly perpendicular to the mount once torqued down. Zero leaks, but I can't recall where all the washers went. I will keep this in mind for the future.
3) Wouldn't it behoove us zeroed-out piston balancers to also balance the small? Is it not considered reciprocating mass?

I don't feel any type of clunk or "free play." I don't quite feel any loading up either; perhaps I'm not doing it right, but I feel a smooth rotation only, like a quality stereo volume knob. Is there an approximate measurement I could be in the ballpark of to make sure I'm doing it right?
1) If they are not leaking, leave them be. Did you put washers under the nuts?

2) The doghouse and Type 4 engines make their own perpendicularity with their cast-in seats that define the exact crush necessary for the seals. It is critical to not have spacer washers. Those washers are to be used as washers, on the outside, where they distribute the load across that poor delicate cooler. Did you ever read this?:

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtop ... 69#p181557

Heck, read this too, all four pages.

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=10191&start=45#p182353
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:35 am

P.S. I have the later D pulley upon investigation. So there.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:52 am

hambone wrote:P.S. I have the later D pulley upon investigation. So there.
Good for you, Hambi. You get to use the correct 905mm belt.

You got any oil leakage occurring at the bottom of your cylinder spigots where they join the head?

My # 4 does . . . that means that I did not get the correct Pierburg pump installed in time and the rings are passing a little oil:

No more Brazilian pump . . . and I have a rebuild kit that gives me peace of mind when hence I am in the middle of nowhere.

Yesterday's Main Lap Prep comprised a quicky rocker assembly removal, retorque of the lower cylinder head nuts, reinstall rocker assemblies, and valve adjustment (since they all lost .002" just from tightening the heads down along the bottoms), a simple wheel rotation that devolved into detailing and painting each lug bolt, painting both rear shock absorbers (they are gas-filled no-names Made In The U.S.A.), stripping sanding and painting each driveshaft while they spinned spanned spun span?, did spun, were spinning, in 1st gear:

Left:

Right:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:27 am

I moved all of those fuel pump posts to Fuel Delivery "Original Mechanical Fuel Pumps". Facinatin stuff in its own right . . .

This weekend has been I.n.v.e.n.t.o.r.y . . . a most annoying and tedious process broken up by Pensacola's annual jazz festival three doors down at the local park. Can't beat that, got to shut off PBS with its earnest reports from the war zones around the world.

Of course, I was pulled into detours:

My toolbox, given to me by my uncle Phil in 1980, has been in my life every day since I was 21. It joined my life at the sixth tune-up of the Road Warrior on March 20, 1980 through the last adjustment of the right heater valve dump hose clamp on August 16, 2009 at 8:00PM, four minutes prior to final impact.

It has overseen every engine overhaul I have ever done, it was the locus and center of gravity for my mobile BMW repair business that put me through U.C.L.A. sitting in the trunk of my BMW 2002, then 530i, then 630CSi, and of course, when the toolbox should have been ushered into a well-deserved retirement, I shoved it into the hard-working cross-country Itinerant Air-Cooled Odyssey where it also serves as a park bench overlooking gorgeous scenery all over the country, and it still serves as the Cactus Credenza Work Bench. It suffered a few total dumps out the sliding door when I had too many drawers open, the first time that happened I laughed out loud at the sound, almost like the proverbial piano landing on the sidewalk. It endured the head-on crash with me with barely a bent right handle, then was painted in May of 2011 to match the BobD. It's worst injury occurred just last spring when my back gave out and it landed, fully loaded, on the concrete at a slight angle that buckled the floor and walls. All summer, it attacked the floor mat of the BobD with some sharp little edge of torn metal under there.

Saturday was Toolbox Appreciation Day, with a little saxophone ambience between the hammer blows:

There was a major jam going on at the park when the hapless drill motor gearbox started sounding off like a chicken trying to sing along with the jazz as I wirebrushed the rust and flaking paint:

Passers-by stopped to talk with me while I was industriously trying to re-perpendularize the tool box. One couple came over where I could see the woman was in in Full Distaste mode while the guy wasted her precious day with his endless droning,
" I used to own one of these, wow, this is so nice! I remember when I . . . "
so I thought to pull her into a conversation, asking what she did professionally.
"Then I, when we were drunk off our asses, I drove through Bennington, hey was it Bennington honey?"
She was a teacher, a teacher of eighth graders in Connecticut.
". . . was I supposed to know what the oil light was, I was just a dumb . . . "
We talked about the state of education in the good state of Connecticut.
"so then me and them had to walk about two miles and call my dad."
Turns out she lived in Sandy Hook right down Toddy Hill Road not six miles from me.
"and I sold it right there for $500.00, what's this thing here, anyways, we beat that thing . . . "
She got a kick out of rattling off the area roads we both knew, then I threw them both outta there with the old stand-by "this sparking old drill might explode the flammable paint fumes and all."

I got to Someday Task # 34,922,433 this weekend, yes, I now have mats in each toolbox drawer. Been telling myself to get mats to quiet down the rattles since 1982 at least:

Found an interesting no-no in the piles of parts currently surrounding me, a Champion spark plug with too much reach, photographed here with a tool drawer mat backdrop. Note how hot it got sticking out into the combustion chamber, note too, that when the threads are exposed to carbon build-up, they will eat the head threads on their way out . . . :

Painted the tool box exterior around 10 PM:

. . . and I must get back to the inventory, thousands of parts all secreted away in every available crevasse. The yellow legal pad order list, after three days of sorting, is up to two items:
* (4) Type 1 exhaust port gaskets
* assortment of heat shrink tubing
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:19 am

... and the rains came down.

... a good time to do indoor projects.

Flood watch though Sunday . . .

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:50 pm

OOOOH is that an aftermarket ignition key I see inserted there?

Has the legal pad of inventory needs grown? What is the shrink tubing for?
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:03 am

asiab3 wrote:OOOOH is that an aftermarket ignition key I see inserted there?

Has the legal pad of inventory needs grown? What is the shrink tubing for?
That is a brass key painted with Savannah Beige / clearcoat. All of my Volkswagen day-to-day keys are painted in the color of their vehicle. The original keys are all grouped on the master keychain. The Lincoln's trunk key is the only one I have lost to history. It's an important key. If the vacuum actuator for trunk fails, the trunk shall become a crypt . . .

Inventory list has only increased to include Ultracopper RTV and a spare set of Type 1 exhaust port gaskets.
Inventory is a tricky psychological process . . . if I were to entertain every "what-if" contingency, I would have to tow a trailer. My inventory mostly comprises "things I cannot fabricate in an emergency".

The moisture pounding out of the sky here has turned my attentions to rust control once more. I hate the thought that this car is being destroyed in the hidden places. Rust control is a tricky psychological process as well . . . if you overdo it, you make it worse by creating glopped-up water traps.

Car is running well, but I would like somehow to do a glass smooth balance of the generator / fan assembly. Nobody has a jig to hold it at 7,000 rpm. Like wheel balancing that spins the wheel at a ridiculously slow walk, a generator / fan balanced at 1,000 rpm, could have second order imbalances further up.
Colin

hambone

Post by hambone » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:56 am

What material did you use for the kick panels? I have to do that...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:56 pm

hambone wrote:What material did you use for the kick panels? I have to do that...
That them is the genuine old black Realplastik® Werksberg plastic kickpanels with two-light-applications ofWalMart-issue "expresso brown" plastic paint found in the WalMart housepaints aisle.

Too reddish, but a little closer to the factory look than that blast of black. As soon as I get brown carpet to match the original brown floor mats of yore, and paint the armrest airducts that original off-white, we're there.
Colin
(where?
I dunno, THERE.)

hambone

Post by hambone » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:22 pm

There must be a cheaper way to do the job. I was even thinking black corrugated plastic. Or cardboard like original but it is difficult to cut those circles. I like the idea of being able to make it yourself.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:01 am

hambone wrote:There must be a cheaper way to do the job. I was even thinking black corrugated plastic. Or cardboard like original but it is difficult to cut those circles. I like the idea of being able to make it yourself.
Do what job?
Are you at Ground Zero No Panels?
Have the original masonite panels as templates?
Have another bus with the panels to use for templates?
You can get masonite at local building supply, you'd need to either paint them or get vinyl, which is still on my possibility list if this paint looks too gruesome over time.

Here is a comparison, current paint on top, photoshopped with a touch of green fog to more closely approximate the door panel brown on bottom:

Current:

Adjusted:

Do you have a dremel? The stone wheel will finish those outside perimeter radii and do the circles nicely after you drill a couple of access holes and punch them out with a finger somewhere near the middle of the circle to give the stone a starting point.

Because this car came with the Werksberg panels, I am in it for just the cost of the paint . . .
Colin

hambone

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:20 pm

I do have a Dremel and the old panels for reference. Masonite eh? I wonder how it would look with spray tar undercoating. Bet it would be durable. I tried it once on a Squareback back panel it wasn't bad.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:28 pm

Amskeptic wrote:…paint the armrest airducts that original off-white, we're there.
I just looked this up in my owners manual. You know that beautiful beige early bay in the two page spread in the back? Those white ducts COMPLETELY make the interior form that perspective. The lines and palettes all come together so well. I thought the one I saw in the swap pile last week was painted junk… Now…
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:21 am

asiab3 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:…paint the armrest airducts that original off-white, we're there.
I just looked this up in my owners manual. You know that beautiful beige early bay in the two page spread in the back? Those white ducts COMPLETELY make the interior form that perspective. The lines and palettes all come together so well. I thought the one I saw in the swap pile last week was painted junk… Now…
You saw one, a real one?

Mine will soon be painted junk as soon as I find a vinyl plastic paint that matches. It has to cover well and quickly so the grain doesn't get all filled in.
Colin