2014 Results Just In!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

aopisa
Addicted!

Re: 2014 Results Just In!

Post by aopisa » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:11 am

Amskeptic wrote:
aopisa wrote:I do however belong to the Full Moon bus Club FB page and I would say that I see by far the most activity multiple times a day on my meager page from people needing help. I have turned to it myself at times since the answers to a question are almost instantaneous. Something to consider.
Tell me more about this.
What instantaneous answers?
I am not a member of Facebook . . . . yetpleasegod,idontwANNA
aopisa wrote: Also, a short IAC documentary would have a wide appeal for an audience beyond the VW crowd. What you do and how you do it is unique and many would find your craft and YOU very interesting.
Well, Neal did a little video that played on Portland cable. I was young and handsome back then. Now it would look like the mutterings of a homeless man.
".....geezusnotagainthatdamnflooriswetallovertheplacehowmanytimesdoIhavetostripoutanddrythisthing?"
"Excuse me, could you raise your voice just a little?"
"damnsealirebuiltthatdamnventwindowthingatleastthreetimesdiditstopleakinghellnowhatamisupposedtodowithchineserivetsinagermancarISAIDTOHELLWITHTHISCHEAPCRAPwhatareyoulookingatthelastporiginaldoorpanelsintheworldandthey'regettinghitwithlawnsprinklerjuicefineibought3m8095caulkandcaulkedmypoorcarUPTHEASSwhatwasisupposedtodostaplesstaplesholdinguptheheadlinerwhyIoughtaretirethatswhatIsay . . . who are you? What do you want?"
"We're shooting a documentary on your day. You gave us permission weeks ago."
As I said I do not know too much about Facebook. Perhaps someone here with more social media savvy can comment. All I know is that there are many people who are active on Facebook particularly on mobile devices. If someone posts a question or comment, others will receive instant notification and may offer assistance. If I need a quick answer, I can get one within minutes. The help is usually quite good too. So, perhaps you start chiming in now and again like you do here and on the TS just to give yourself more exposure to a wider audience. Or you can create an IAC page as an extension of this site where you would probably start with a good core of followers that would expand out further into cyberspace.

As far as video is concerned, I know it is not easy. Still, I have envisioned a documentary short for years. Not a how to video and not just a day in the life of an IAC visit. Of course some of that would be included. What is more interesting is how you make your living by a life on the road. It's the dream of many and the reality of a few. It would be great for people to see how you crisscross the back roads of this great country while trying to keep on schedule. Even someone not interested in cars would love to see you take apart your bus in the middle of a desert and paint the muffler during a sandstorm. Take just about any of your write-ups and rantings on this site and it would make a great short subject. I firmly believe there is an independent filmmaker out there somewhere who would find you and your lifestyle a compelling subject.

Even turning your exploits into a book of essays would be a great read. You are an excellent writer whose self-deprecating style of humor transcends those merely interested in the technical aspects of archaic German vehicles. You have an instant win with the fact that everyone loves old VWs. You could not get the same response from a broad audience if you worked on Corvettes or T-Birds. Road trip type books are always a favorite.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:29 am

aopisa wrote: Still, I have envisioned a documentary short for years. Not a how to video and not just a day in the life of an IAC visit. Of course some of that would be included. What is more interesting is how you make your living by a life on the road. It's the dream of many and the reality of a few. It would be great for people to see how you crisscross the back roads of this great country while trying to keep on schedule. Even someone not interested in cars would love to see you take apart your bus in the middle of a desert and paint the muffler during a sandstorm. Take just about any of your write-ups and rantings on this site and it would make a great short subject. I firmly believe there is an independent filmmaker out there somewhere who would find you and your lifestyle a compelling subject.

Even turning your exploits into a book of essays would be a great read. You are an excellent writer whose self-deprecating style of humor transcends those merely interested in the technical aspects of archaic German vehicles. You have an instant win with the fact that everyone loves old VWs. You could not get the same response from a broad audience if you worked on Corvettes or T-Birds. Road trip type books are always a favorite.
I think that the above is a very good idea and worth exploring. I was loathe to mention it because i kept mentioning over the years and i may just be an annoyance by now. Maybe now that the need for expanding the Itinerancy concept is more pressing, these ideas have more traction.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:41 pm

The puppeteer is most mysterious. Who controls any outcome?
Community first, $ 2nd because this is beyond time n' space. the VOLKS on your crusade shield, ravaging HUNS etc.
Damn th torpedoes, K! Rally the knights!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:37 am

How about calling the Discovery Channel and plugging the IAC reality show. Mike Rowe did quite well making dirty jobs.
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:36 am

weisswurst wrote:Colin, was that the video of you at an outside bar/beer garden type location telling the camera how this all started?
I saw that a while ago and was riveted to the screen while it played, so passionate you were telling the viewers about your first itinerary.
Jeff
See? You didn't even recognize me in my youth.

It was just a drunkish chat between me and neal with shots from a Portland visit, phj, I think her name was.
Can't believe that was eleven years ago.
But it sure feels like eleven years since I quit smoking three days ago.
Relativity's a bitch,
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:41 am

glasseye wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Well, Neal did a little video that played on Portland cable. ...the mutterings of a homeless man.
".....geezusnotagainthatdamnflooriswetallovertheplacehowmanytimesdoIhavetostripoutanddrythisthing?"
"Excuse me, could you raise your voice just a little?"
Or, I'm trying to shoot (video) the arrived-on-the-hook Vanagon resuscitation at Maupin a few years ago.

Me: "Oh, wait, could you just undo that fastener so the camera can see it?"
Colin: "No."

Trust me (and Neal) guys. Video is hard.
Cheryl asked me to "drive into the driveway like you are arriving."
"But I'm leaving."
"I know, we just need a shot of you first arriving."
"But I'm leaving. Run the tape backwards."
What an A$$hole,
Colin

Hobug
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hobug » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:38 pm

For those who don't know, there is an Itinerant Air-cooled Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Itineran ... 9046223592
It just has nothing current posted to it. Perhaps someone could assist Colin in making the page relevant and helpful to the other unknowing Facebookers. I would offer to help, but I have now exhausted my knowledge of Facebook and how it works. I have been told by those who seem to know, that Facebook is replacing typical websites. Is this the case?
76 Westy
69 Squareback (auto)
63 Bug
73 Thing (Type 4 powered)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:46 pm

Hobug wrote:I have been told by those who seem to know, that Facebook is replacing typical websites. Is this the case?
No, no, no, no, no, no , no, no, no.

Facebook does not allow you the experience of a free public commons such as this. They invade your whereabouts and throw "targeted" advertising at you. Yuck.
Colin

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:17 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Hobug wrote:I have been told by those who seem to know, that Facebook is replacing typical websites. Is this the case?
Agreed. It has a large user base of the uncaring and uninterested, but nothing worth jumping on that we don't have here. If Colin is looking to grow his customer base purely for the numbers game it could be useful. But as a ten-year member of it now, I do not see a point.

My two cents.
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:09 am

asiab3 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Agreed. It has a large user base of the uncaring and uninterested, but nothing worth jumping on that we don't have here. If Colin is looking to grow his customer base purely for the numbers game it could be useful. But as a ten-year member of it now, I do not see a point.

My two cents.
Robbie

This has been made apparent to me in another way. Most Itinerary visits come about through this quaint old-school process called, "personal interaction". It has allowed the first few minutes of arriving at someone's door for the first time to be a long-last greeting, a mutual "I have read your posts for years" and "you don't look like I was expecting you to look" etc.

Some itinerary visits have been referrals from people here (thank-you) where I show up at a person's door cold turkey, they have no idea who I am, and I have no idea if they like Volkswagens. That can be much hairier as far as personal interaction (I am NOT a glad-handing shmoozer) (they may not like a chatty little liberal - a dirty word in today's corporatized world), and it can be a little more hit or miss as far as their expectations of having a mechanic just come over and do a repair, "oh no, you are picking up the wrench and crawling under there, I am the 'consultant'."

I have always liked the process of generating visits here just fine, but heck, the traffic has dropped off, the novelty has receded, the critical need for the remaining members here to get the word out has only increased. I like, dammit, the thought of requiring prospective customers to register here and participate here. It is not too much to ask. I am driving to your house, you are helping me to familiarize.

Has the online hobbyist community changed overall since the itinerary was launched? Oh you bet it has.
We were all giddy with the newfound power of the internet to bring us together and let us share our knowledge and our predicaments back in the early 2000s. Now it is established, marketized. As our lives continue to evolve, the initial excitement has been shaken out, the novelty seekers, the bored contrarians have drifted away. I wanted this place to answer to people's lives on a couple of different levels. Yes, bring us your poor, your tired, your huddled questions seeking to be answered, yes, entertain the prospect of a full day's Volkswagen resuscitation with me, but also for God's sake, look around at the people I have had the pleasure to get to know, there are some friends to be made between youse, there are some get-togethers to be gotten, some family evolution (make memories for your children!) for some of you, and personal growth moments, all that can play out here.
The vehicles are just the vehicle.
We *have* to keep them up. Every death of a Volkswagen at this point unravels the threads of the community of this phenomenom, much like a TMI headliner that horrifyingly unravels against all efforts to keep it intact.
Colin

HiRoller
I'm New!

Post by HiRoller » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:06 am

Long time lurker here swooping in for a quick visit ....

Point: keep the Free Speech. Yes, I do know some in my burg who have checked out over frustration with the "everything is wrong about everything" tone of that forum but my patented response to that is the novel concept of if one doesn't like a thread, don't read it. The Samba also has a sort of free speech forum that is buried in their basement where few visit unless they are having a super bored day and can find it.

Point: the annual attrition rate of air-coolers is at an all time high right now ranging from returning-to-earth to exportation. This is known as the "Dwindling Effect" first coined by Hammarabi in Asia Minor around year 4000 BC I think .... maybe. A friend in the Bay area who annually attends the Vw gatherings and events in Europe and often elsewhere overseas (he's rather well off and retired at around age 41) reported to me three years ago more than 3200 fine Vw Bay bus specimens were exported out of NA because in certain other global regions like England, Germany and Australia they are ga-ga over them. This following the huge exodus of prized Splitties in the 80's and 90's. So in Portland, for example, where virtually every block had a Vw bus of some sort 15 years ago, I'm hard pressed to even see an air-cooled daily driver now let alone one of those garage queens pulled out only for State occasions.

Point: all air-coolers I know think what Colin is doing (speaking of him as if he's not here and listening) is absolutely wonderful and to die for as means of employment (travel + adventure) yet many do their own repairs or avail the services of the nearby local dubious Joe Blow mechanic because they need it fixed 'now'. Also, many if not most air-cool owners these days tend not to be cash flush (no offense to those who are) unless they have a prized specimen under glass for investment purposes and nostalgia, only to be trotted out if the Queen visits.

Point: there is obviously competition out there for participants the most venerable being the Samba of course. The latter being older and more established, becoming the defacto place to be for not only air-coolers but all other Vw rigs as well. It's basically a juggernaut that's very difficult to crack although IAC could get lots of crossovers like me who visit both so extoll the virtues of IAC while over there like, "there may not be a thread here on this but over at IAC they have a good one explaining everything".

Point: Also no-no to Facebook ... more of a quasi-snobby club of "only my friends can talk with me and you can't" exclusivity. Like cabbage-patch dolls and lost airline luggage in the rings of Saturn, it's unexplainable and I don't know why it's acme of popularity hasn't dried up by now.

Point: By now you may be expecting a huge revelation from me but I don't have one. Air-cooled availability and ownership will continue to dwindle to eventually what old car collectors call a 'closed' hobby. I have one foot/leg/part-of-torso in the vanagon syncro community as well and they are experiencing the same. In fact there are so many wanting a syncro they are now taking 2wd vanagons and converting them.

Point: there is a touch of clubiness with the core group which is in fact intimidating but that's really true for all websites I visit. Not much you can do about that. Bold people will jump right in, those with delicate sensitivities will slink around the edges and maybe disappear. Again you see that on the Samba too ... a meek newbie will post something flakey, they'll get flakier responses, then the OP says something like, "well gee whiz, I was only asking and you don't have to be so rude" whereas the correct response would perhaps have been something like, "bite my wally you turdheads and answer my question" which might garner greater respect before the moderator finds you !

Last Point: accept that fact you are on a tilted table and enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts. I'll probably get shot for saying all good things eventually end so I won't but let's hope as a minimum not in our lifetime. I spent a lot of the '80's restoring and putting air-coolers back out there and hope some of you younger'uns will continue the salvage of whatever is still in that barn or out in the weeds somewhere to help sustain the number of current and future participants.

Swooping out now and happy new year.

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:53 pm

Ah Facebook. I love it. In my opinion it has more viable productivity than just a website. I have said this more than once. Now I am going to ask the question. Who here is a member of the full moon bus club? Don't knock it till ya try it. Everyone is great. It is the best thing out there besides my home right here. I do not visit the samba anymore. Way too much trash talk for my liking. The classifieds is the only thing I like. We at the Full Moon Bus club are a family quite like here. We help each other at all costs. There are 2 annual camp outs "The high country bus festival" and "buses on the river". Over 150 bays at both this year. I do not feel that an IAC dedicated FB page would be worthwhile, but I do think networking with the fine folks of the Full Moon Bus club would be beneficial both financially and for the greater good of our community. This site taught me, that other site showed me what I do not want, and The Full Moon Bus Club gave me the biggest opportunity of all to find friends, in person, who love these Bays as much I and all of you do. No Type 1's ALL BUSES. Which is kind of cool in my opinion, because as we all know the bus folks are a different breed of vw enthusiast. I invite everyone to come on over. Colin, this is your invitation. I guarantee an instant traffic and finance generator. They all are great people looking for a mechanic. Maybe come to buses on the river........see for yourself.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:15 pm

HiRoller wrote:Long time lurker here swooping in for a quick visit ....

Point: keep the Free Speech. Yes, I do know some in my burg who have checked out over frustration with the "everything is wrong about everything" tone of that forum but my patented response to that is the novel concept of if one doesn't like a thread, don't read it. The Samba also has a sort of free speech forum that is buried in their basement where few visit unless they are having a super bored day and can find it.

Point: the annual attrition rate of air-coolers is at an all time high right now ranging from returning-to-earth to exportation. This is known as the "Dwindling Effect" first coined by Hammurabi (edit)in Asia Minor around year 4000 BC I think .... maybe. A friend in the Bay area who annually attends the Vw gatherings and events in Europe and often elsewhere overseas (he's rather well off and retired at around age 41) reported to me three years ago more than 3200 fine Vw Bay bus specimens were exported out of NA because in certain other global regions like England, Germany and Australia they are ga-ga over them. This following the huge exodus of prized Splitties in the 80's and 90's. So in Portland, for example, where virtually every block had a Vw bus of some sort 15 years ago, I'm hard pressed to even see an air-cooled daily driver now let alone one of those garage queens pulled out only for State occasions.

Point: all air-coolers I know think what Colin is doing (speaking of him as if he's not here and listening) is absolutely wonderful and to die for as means of employment (travel + adventure) yet many do their own repairs or avail the services of the nearby local dubious Joe Blow mechanic because they need it fixed 'now'. Also, many if not most air-cool owners these days tend not to be cash flush (no offense to those who are) unless they have a prized specimen under glass for investment purposes and nostalgia, only to be trotted out if the Queen visits.

Point: there is obviously competition out there for participants the most venerable being the Samba of course. The latter being older and more established, becoming the defacto place to be for not only air-coolers but all other Vw rigs as well. It's basically a juggernaut that's very difficult to crack although IAC could get lots of crossovers like me who visit both so extoll the virtues of IAC while over there like, "there may not be a thread here on this but over at IAC they have a good one explaining everything".

Point: Also no-no to Facebook ... more of a quasi-snobby club of "only my friends can talk with me and you can't" exclusivity. Like cabbage-patch dolls and lost airline luggage in the rings of Saturn, it's unexplainable and I don't know why it's acme of popularity hasn't dried up by now.

Point: By now you may be expecting a huge revelation from me but I don't have one. Air-cooled availability and ownership will continue to dwindle to eventually what old car collectors call a 'closed' hobby. I have one foot/leg/part-of-torso in the vanagon syncro community as well and they are experiencing the same. In fact there are so many wanting a syncro they are now taking 2wd vanagons and converting them.

Point: there is a touch of clubiness with the core group which is in fact intimidating but that's really true for all websites I visit. Not much you can do about that. Bold people will jump right in, those with delicate sensitivities will slink around the edges and maybe disappear. Again you see that on the Samba too ... a meek newbie will post something flakey, they'll get flakier responses, then the OP says something like, "well gee whiz, I was only asking and you don't have to be so rude" whereas the correct response would perhaps have been something like, "bite my wally you turdheads and answer my question" which might garner greater respect before the moderator finds you !

Last Point: accept that fact you are on a tilted table and enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts. I'll probably get shot for saying all good things eventually end so I won't but let's hope as a minimum not in our lifetime. I spent a lot of the '80's restoring and putting air-coolers back out there and hope some of you younger'uns will continue the salvage of whatever is still in that barn or out in the weeds somewhere to help sustain the number of current and future participants.

Swooping out now and happy new year.
Good post and well stated!

In regards to the dwindling amounts of air cooled vws; I think there is truth to that statement. I grew up in the 70' and the 80's in the San Diego area where VW's lined my childhood neighborhood streets. It seemed like every other driveway had a VW of some sort parked in it. I also remember the other cars/brands from those era's. I recently saw a Ford Pinto on the road. I was shocked and I bet it had been 20 years since I'd seen one. You simply just don't see other classic economy cars from the 70's and 80's on the road anymore. Yes, I still see a 60's mustang and a muscle car or two but not the Chevy Vega's, Pinto's and other entry level cars. My point is I still see lots of VW's and I have seen more on the road in the last 5 years. The amount of attention my bugs and my bus generate at stop signs, convenience stores and gas stations leads me to believe many of the baby boomers are buying old VW's for the nostalgia and as a reminder of their youth. I had my bus at a well known transmission shop today for them to fix a leaky impute seal under warranty. The owner who's been doing transmissions for decades went on and on about how "hot" bay window bus's are right now and the escalating prices. He also reinforced that some of his buddies are traveling the west, buying and flipping them overseas.

I never see VW's parked on the street anymore. I think the increasing values of VW's of all makes is driving that. I do see them inside open garage doors. Hell, my VW's are in the garage and my nice vehicle is in the driveway! What a flip flop, eh?

I think classic VW's are finally getting some respect from the collector car world, especially split window bugs and the split window bus's, with the 21 and 23 windows leading the way. Clearly, this and more interest and demand from the aging generation of previous owners, dwindling reserves of VW's in junk yards/back yards from scraping and shipping them out of the country will drive prices higher and higher..
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:19 pm

energyturtle wrote:Ah Facebook. I love it. In my opinion it has more viable productivity than just a website. I have said this more than once. Now I am going to ask the question. Who here is a member of the full moon bus club? Don't knock it till ya try it. Everyone is great. It is the best thing out there besides my home right here. I do not visit the samba anymore. Way too much trash talk for my liking. The classifieds is the only thing I like. We at the Full Moon Bus club are a family quite like here. We help each other at all costs. There are 2 annual camp outs "The high country bus festival" and "buses on the river". Over 150 bays at both this year. I do not feel that an IAC dedicated FB page would be worthwhile, but I do think networking with the fine folks of the Full Moon Bus club would be beneficial both financially and for the greater good of our community. This site taught me, that other site showed me what I do not want, and The Full Moon Bus Club gave me the biggest opportunity of all to find friends, in person, who love these Bays as much I and all of you do. No Type 1's ALL BUSES. Which is kind of cool in my opinion, because as we all know the bus folks are a different breed of vw enthusiast. I invite everyone to come on over. Colin, this is your invitation. I guarantee an instant traffic and finance generator. They all are great people looking for a mechanic. Maybe come to buses on the river........see for yourself.
I have to mostly agree.

I pretty much loathe Facebook, but stick around for the Full Moon Bus Club. It is like you said, a nice welcoming community. No snobbery, just a bunch of folks enjoying buses and helping each other out when they can. I have pretty much abandoned TS for the reasons stated above. Plus, I am tired of the first solution I get there always jumps to pulling the engine even if my question is about my turn signal. The help on IAC is almost always well reasoned and generally diagnostic driven, but can take a while to get answers. The FMBC Facebook page can get me an answer within minutes as I stated before and usually the advice is good. I agree that trying to get the IAC FB page going would probably not work since Full Moon haskind of lock on buses, but it can give you (Colin) some good exposure. It might be worth a shot. Like it or not Facebook at the moment is the AOL (hated them too) of this era. You can always delete your account if you feel it is not working for you.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:00 pm

Facebook and forums are not mutually exclusive, they each have their place. Facebook is good for keeping in touch, and it seems to work for some people to get occasional random help at the FMBC page. But it can't be logically organized and searched like a forum. Facebook is really good for promoting a business, with its massive exponential networking capabilities. Everyone here and on the FMBC site can "like" you, and everyone they know will see it. I say get a FB page, the promotion will only add to this site. You can put the explanation of the itinerary there, and drive traffic here. Worst case is it peters out and you just kill it.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.