Death Valley I

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Death Valley I

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:12 am

I am not doing as well in the heat as I had hoped. Bellingham WA's 52* rainy weather on June 20th kept me in winter fat mode too late into the season. It has been dicey since the heat found me in Napa CA, dizziness and torpor have replaced my usual verve.

I camped at the Henderson water tower just to find the highest elevation I could in the 100* heat at midnight. The lights of Las Vegas were spread out like some amazing Civilization on some exotic hot planet. Could not sleep, so I explored the hill above the tower under the stars and beside the shimmering late night smog above the city. Finally was able to doze off around 2AM. My camera tried:

Woke up at 6:00 with new heat ramping up with the sun streaming in from the East. Repainted the sliding door sill around and under the gasket which had developed rust from the wet Pacific Northwest and wet Salt Lake City monsoons. This tower is a landmark from the valley floor. I was going to photograph it from the Discount Tire wheel balance appointment location, but the moisture in the air blocked it. Good people at Discount Tire who had to cobble together a balance chuck for the wide five rims. I had no faith it would give me a good balance, but lo, the wheels are true:

Yesterday, I felt my first pang of dread at traversing Death Valley in the expected 123* heat today. The car seems OK. I checked my valve adjustments yesterday morning and they were all FINE.

After my Annual Piano Playing Followed By Ass Kicking at Rummy in Pahrump (I love Charlene, my dad's ex-ex wife who somehow manages to put down a cascade of card straights and suits out of thin air to score double the points I ever seem to get), I headed out into the 90* morning to climb the big hill out of Pahrump's baking valley. These are the very mountains that were struck with the sunrise the moment my dad passed away:
Image:

The top of that hill leads into the Amargosa Valley. Here, I had just painted the wheel weights white to blend into the rims. Call me obsessive, I DON'T CARE:

The sand coming out of the rocks does not appear to have come from the rocks. I think it is from some long ago sea:

In the middle of nowhere, heck, in that heat I would be, too:

Came across a one-way flight to Beatty:

We should not complain too much about our dashboard wiring, some people have it worse:

So I am off to Death Valley now. It is 8:30AM July 19th. I will take temperature measurements of the crankcase, valve covers, exhaust pipes, and will fill you in on CHT readings. Rules are, no adjustments today, just drive and see how we do. I will post pictures and try not to be the recipient of the following message:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Re: Death Valley I

Post by glasseye » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:27 am

Ah. The Twin Beech at Angel's Ladies. A fave landmark for me. I actually considered stopping in there for a beer once, just for fun. But no. I chickened out. Maybe if I had someone with me to watch over Frito. Too many goodies inside Frito to leave him unattended in the parking lot.

Your bravery in attempting DV in July is impressive. I remind you that the parking lot at Dante's View is both unattended overnight and relatively cool at 6k feet elevation.

Are you still using that Jurassic Kodak Easyshare? Working well, whatever it is.

Happy Trails.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:42 am

Great stuff! And now you're bitching about the heat like a NWer. :joker:
The heat and the desert are purifying as you know, it comes across the PC screen somehow.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

retro1302
I'm New!

Post by retro1302 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:13 pm

Colin......you found Amelia Earhart !

1965 Split Camper
1971 Super Beetle Convert
1980 Triumph Spitfire

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:58 pm

retro1302 wrote:Colin......you found Amelia Earhart !
"Amelia?"
" . . . "
"AMELIA?"
" . . . "
"Amelia, we've been looking all over for you."
" . . . "
"FINE, good BYE."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:05 pm

glasseye wrote: I remind you that the parking lot at Dante's View is both unattended overnight and relatively cool at 6k feet elevation.

Are you still using that Jurassic Kodak Easyshare? Working well, whatever it is.

Happy Trails.
Car did fine. Top temperature I recorded was 121 at the Beatty Junction basin floor. 303 photographs and 3 video clips.
Yes, the colorblind befuddled Kodak EyeSore721.
Must edit.
I is wiped out. Camped outside of Rosamond (sic?) off CA 14. Very beautiful, but a lot of dispiriting trash in the hills.
Spent ALL AFTERNOON on I-5 traffic jam and (CA) -91 traffic jam . . . this all on a Saturday?
Colin (edited)

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Wikipedia: "Interstate 91 (abbreviated I-91) is an Interstate Highway in the New England region of the United States."

:dontknow:

Son, you are NOT going to be here on schedule.

ML

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:37 pm

Lanval wrote:Wikipedia: "Interstate 91 (abbreviated I-91) is an Interstate Highway in the New England region of the United States."

:dontknow:

Son, you are NOT going to be here on schedule.

ML
Fixed it.

If traffic nails me tomorrow morning . . . well, I might not be there on schedule either, pops.
Colin

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:47 pm

Rosamond is 15 miles south of me. On the 19th (106 degrees) I was heading up to Lake Isabella in the Baja with oil temps at 260!! :bom:
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:36 am

bajaman72 wrote:Rosamond is 15 miles south of me. On the 19th (106 degrees) I was heading up to Lake Isabella in the Baja with oil temps at 260!! :bom:
Ouch at the dipstick?
This was my 4,000 foot climb out of Death Valley
Colin

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:14 am

Readings were taken off the VDO gauges. Oil temp sending unit is at the relief valve. Oil pressure gauge was reading 9psi at highway speeds :pukeright:
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car