Utah III - Green River to Bluff

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Utah III - Green River to Bluff

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:22 pm

Utah - Green River to Bluff

The Plan was to prepare all parts necessary to replace the fan with the Drober Commemorative '71 Bug Fan With Real Balance Tabs. I was sure it would be well-balanced, because it had no wobble at all, unlike Chloe's dancing fan.

(but first, you should know that I write this in the middle of the desert outside of Kingman, AZ with a moon peeking out from under clouds, it is 9:36 PM as I organize these pictures, it is a good 90* yet, the trains come with a quiet four minutes warning of headlamp beam before the engines thunder past, they depart with a metallic ringing on the rails, the gaudily-lit interstate trucks glide by silently because of the distance, and the bugs are pestering the laptop with dizzying leaps and flits)

Stopped at a skip-loader because I needed an anvil/work bench/press-platform:

A confused fellow traveller with a huge trailer behind his Silverado stopped by while I was pulling the generator pulley from the shaft.
"How do I get to Moab? I can't understand my map."
"You keep going south on 191." Ended up drawing him a diagram.
"Thanks buddy."
"With the fuel economy you must get with that rig, I guess you don't need any wrong turns."
"You can say that again."

I love this land out here:

Approaching Moab, this imposing wall rises to the right of Highway 191. Mega-many years of laid-down silt at the bottom of ancient seas have risen out of crust crashes and then have been eroded by wind and rain:

Way off, some mountains of a different color, perhaps they never had to be under water:

The closer I got, the more they seemed to recede. I was thinking how nice it would be to get up there and cool off . . . that's Moab, the green strip in the near distance:

And a big-but-kind-of-pretty-wall blocks your view of the Colorado River we are crossing here, but look at the rocks, so ancient that they make me feel peaceful in the middle of the overwhelming rush of life:

On the other side of Moab, I see those inviting mountains again, I bet it is only 80* up there:

No telephoto here, gorgeous early evening, I feel an inexplicable happiness:

Looking back at hot Moab down there, I am now on a gravel road leading over to the mountains:

There is a gulch just visible over Chloe:

There is a Chloe at the bottom of the impending hillclimb:

I am in love with this evening:

Up and up, this a 2nd gear hill:

We're higher yet, the engine finally needed a timing boost and mixture lean. Thank-you, Chloe, for your valiant flat-out exertions:

Now it is beginning to look like we might reach the top of the world:

More climbing to go, I am urging Chloe on like some farmer talking to his mule, "you're doing fine, take your time, we're good." The lighting!:

Finally decided this would be a good place to replace the fan and the end plate of the generator . . . . . . . . . . . . :

. . . . . . . . . . . tomorrow:

It was streaked colors, hush, and scented piney trees . . . :

. . . and brushing my teeth and Tide bucket-bathing by the failing light:

Yeah, so it was all done by 1:50PM the next day:

Here's that gulch mentioned earlier, shot from the uphill side. I love these spatial relationships:

The history of the world from the threshhold of the sliding door:

The campsite I was to discover in three hours time was equally magnificent (Utah III Bluff) but it is now 11:19PM, and I need to give these deliriously happy bugs a break, take the night's brisk walk down the railroad tracks and turn in.
Good night, y'all.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Re: Utah III - Green River to Bluff

Post by glasseye » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:37 am

YO! You there in the microbus! Y'alls having WAY too much fun.

An' yer makin' me homesick. :salute:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:14 pm

You're driving my vacation in reverse! Well... with the stops to Montana, Portland, and California thrown in.

The pictures remind me of how beautiful it is there. Thank you for posting them! I hope the fan serves you well.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Watch for rattlers!
And you're still crazy for taking that stuff apart out there. Is the vibration gone? No because you see Volkswagen used a special PULLEY RETAINER NUT (1 year only) that was balanced to .0000000001" in COMBINATION with .........
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:30 am

hambone wrote:Watch for rattlers!
And you're still crazy for taking that stuff apart out there. Is the vibration gone? No because you see Volkswagen used a special PULLEY RETAINER NUT (1 year only) that was balanced to .0000000001" in COMBINATION with .........
The vibration is gone:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=11538#p201488
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles