Salt Lake City July 6 & 7

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Utah July 6 & 7

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:07 pm

pj wrote:My Petronix system in both vehicles is going on 9 years old, which either speaks to their long -lastedness or there will be a time soon I'll be taking that long ride on the back of some flatbed.
I think a Pertronix in a nice vehicle sensibly driven should last a long time. It has no moving parts! Yet, many have fried them because they left the ignition on to listen to tunes or a spark plug wire fell loose.

Sorry I missed you back in the Pacific Northwest monsoon season.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:00 am

pj wrote:My Petronix system in both vehicles is going on 9 years old, which either speaks to their long -lastedness or there will be a time soon I'll be taking that long ride on the back of some flatbed.
I keep hearing folk talk about pertronix and the inevitable "no workie" (it's been five years now)...I carry points and condensor (in a distributor set up for a plug and play swap). Even without the spare dizzy a swap over to points it would be pretty much the same side of the road experience ifn' a points set up went belly up.

Thus far the pertronix has done well, and I think there has been a more consistent grade of spark in that time.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

rallybug
Getting Hooked!

Post by rallybug » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:09 am

No dice on the Federal-spec distributor so far, so I ordered a new ignition control module from Bus Depot, fitted it, attached the wires that I remembered and still no starty. :scratch:

When I bought the bus at the start of last year, it did come with a Bosch Blue Coil and the Hall-effect distributor fitted - I wonder if damage was done to that before I got hold of the correct CA-spec coil and fitted it :scratch:
Harvee the Wonder Bus - a 1979 CA-spec 7-seater bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:52 am

rallybug wrote:No dice on the Federal-spec distributor so far, so I ordered a new ignition control module from Bus Depot, fitted it, attached the wires that I remembered and still no starty. :scratch:

When I bought the bus at the start of last year, it did come with a Bosch Blue Coil and the Hall-effect distributor fitted - I wonder if damage was done to that before I got hold of the correct CA-spec coil and fitted it :scratch:
I am sorry to hear this. Let's take this to the Electrical Forum '79 Hall Effect Ignition thread . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles