All Caught Up Going Nowhere

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Re: All Caught Up Going Nowhere

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:36 am

I'm very glad its coming and I can gladly wait some more as my rear wheel bearings are quiet as church mice. I just want to be prepared for the day they aren't. The procedure I've read in the Bentley seems to demand that bearings need to be destroyed to get this apart if I remember correctly. I've always wondered about this. That would make repacking them not possible.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:22 am

Amskeptic wrote:
SlowLane wrote:I was thinking that the pre-heat flap might be stuck open, dumping unreasonably hot intake air into Chloe's poor carb, not that a recalcitrant pre-heat cable might be jamming the flaps closed.
Sounds like you've sussed out the high CHTs, though.
I will stick the preheater flap open and let you know what it does to CHT readings. That would be interesting.
Colin
Did you ever get around to rigging this? I have the "run around to the back of the bus at red lights" version of that cable. I sometimes leave it hot on long drives, and would like to know how much damage I've done. Or not.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:50 am

Yes, did you ever rig up this test? My Ghia's air cleaner setup is missing its thermostat flap spring setup so it used to stay closed messing up everything. It's jambed open now so only fresh air feeds the air cleaner but I need to find a spring setup to re-install so warmups are better.
I love mechanics who rip off stuff cuz its just there so it must run better with it off.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Bleyseng wrote:Yes, did you ever rig up this test? My Ghia's air cleaner setup is missing its thermostat flap spring setup so it used to stay closed messing up everything. It's jammed open now so only fresh air feeds the air cleaner but I need to find a spring setup to re-install so warmups are better.
I love mechanics who rip off stuff cuz its just there so it must run better with it off.
Yes, I held the preheater flap in the preheat position on I-20 into Atlanta. I detected no overall change in CHTs, though a real-time graph plotter would have been helpful to make sense of what are normally rather large swings in the readings. I was not close enough to the edge parameters where I could categorically state that preheated intake air increased combustion temperatures.

What I did notice, however, is that the carburetor hated it. Bad hot start. The preheater was, is, and will be all about the driveability.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles