2011 Results Just In

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Re: 2011 Results Just In

Post by Elwood » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:25 pm

Now I really wish I had not sold Jake, the '64. But I doubt Colin would do Elwood???
I do need a spare car mmmmm I be looking around, one a year will be a looooong list.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:43 pm

satchmo wrote:
jonyem wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: I have half a mind to offer a new service.
Give me your car for the summer and I will return it 20,000 miles later in better shape than it ever was. You also, by the way, pay a $1,000.00 retainer against parts procured.
Then, I get to share the depreciation load over more vehicles than just mine which are soon going to catch up with me under the expenses of tires and resetting the engine wear clock on the BobD and tires and transmissions and engines for the TBRRD.
Colin
I find this idea interesting and very tempting.
Me too. There is a piece of crap bus down the street I'm sure I could acquire for less $1000. Then give the bus and another $1000 to Colin for his next tour of the US of A, and get the bus back at the end of the tour all fixed up, Colin Style. Someone should have thought of this sooner....

Tim (where do I sign up?)
Oh dear, I should be more specific ... Your car! Must be a beloved member of the family! Cherished and able to drive itself on the highway for a good stretch! A piece of crap bus may not be ready for a hard 20,000 miles. If the BobD could use a whole year of detailing, and the pretty enough TBRRD could use a whole year of mechanical re-repair, I am sure that any of the very nice buses in our Itinerant Air-Cooled group could enjoy a journey to a whole new level.
Colin
(p.s. Elwood would most certainly qualify ...)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:50 pm

satchmo wrote:
jonyem wrote:
Give me your car for the summer and I will return it 20,000 miles later in better shape than it ever was. You also, by the way, pay a $1,000.00 retainer against parts procured.
Then, I get to share the depreciation load over more vehicles than just mine which are soon going to catch up with me under the expenses of tires and resetting the engine wear clock on the BobD and tires and transmissions and engines for the TBRRD.
Colin
Me too. There is a piece of crap bus down the street I'm sure I could acquire for less $1000. Then give the bus and another $1000 to Colin for his next tour of the US of A, and get the bus back at the end of the tour all fixed up, Colin Style. Someone should have thought of this sooner....

You need this service? He who ran out of things to do on your last Bus you sold? Holy mackerel! Now that Bus I would buy!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

jonyem
Getting Hooked!

Post by jonyem » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:26 am

Amskeptic wrote: Oh dear, I should be more specific ...
Yeah, I kinda figured.
So maybe not this year then :yawinkle:
Late 1973 ASI/Riviera conversion.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:10 am

This is a horrible idea. A bus must be in fairly decent basic shape to be roadworthy. If it's this roadworthy, it's a real good bus to start with. So Colins idea would really only apply to bus' that are in fairly good shape all ready. Otherwise he'd never get anywhere on time or even close because of having to deal w the problems along the way.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:23 am

Despite the Duck's issues, it is and was still a far cry from being "a piece of crap" such as Satchmo described.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:44 am

RSorak 71Westy wrote: This is a horrible idea.
What is a horrible idea?
RSorak 71Westy wrote: A bus must be in fairly decent basic shape to be roadworthy. If it's this roadworthy, it's a real good bus to start with. So Colins idea would really only apply to bus' that are in fairly good shape all ready.
"able to drive itself on the highway for a good stretch!"
There is no way you can conclude that "it's a real good bus to start with".
I have driven some neglected looking buses that were ready to go, and I have driven some real shiny stuff that was on a path straight to self-destruction. What I would offer, is to bring whatever condition bus I drove back to Volkswagen. This 1970 bus I am getting to know, everything (!) is botched, but it sure is pretty. I have been bonding with this thing as I bring it back to correctly functional as well as pretty. What is so "horrible" about that?
Colin

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:16 pm

satchmo wrote:
jonyem wrote:
Colin

Sorry. My comments above were totally tongue-in-cheek and were meant to point out to Colin that he better have some clear parameters for any prospective bus candidates before he embarks upon this next great business venture. And I hope I didn't refer to anyone's bus as a piece of ***.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:49 pm

satchmo wrote:
satchmo wrote: Me too. There is a piece of crap bus down the street I'm sure I could acquire for less $1000. Then give the bus and another $1000 to Colin for his next tour of the US of A, and get the bus back at the end of the tour all fixed up, Colin Style. Someone should have thought of this sooner....

Sorry. My comments above were totally tongue-in-cheek and were meant to point out to Colin that he better have some clear parameters for any prospective bus candidates before he embarks upon this next great business venture. And I hope I didn't refer to anyone's bus as a piece of ***.

Tim

When I first floated the idea of Itinerant Air-Cooled, I was met with similar responses, then revolving around the likelihood that I would get sued by disgruntled customers whose post-IAC appointment buses would veer into oncoming traffic or sail through intersections brakeless, killing all their children.

Half a mind, I said, I have half a mind to come up with a creative solution to a developing problem. I honestly had no idea that you were dripping with "tongue-in-cheek", I would not have wasted the time to respond.
NoMindLeft

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:53 pm

Just my over active mind jumping hurdles of logic Satchmo. No worries.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Despite the Duck's issues, it is and was still a far cry from being "a piece of crap" such as Satchmo described.

neal
The TBRRD has been a rich opportunity to visit every corner of a car and bring it back with little nudges. I have been *enjoying* the process. I understand far better what Mike was saying when he said he wanted me to have the car. He had mentioned several times both publicly and privately that he enjoyed my fix-it-along-the-way travels. He *knew* the TBRRD had a thousand and one little issues, I was there when he told me that the new vent window seals were not playing well with the vent windows, and showed me that mess of a left rear window. I toasted Mike above when I got that thing to close smoothly for the first time the day before yesterday.

I wanted to potentially share my crazy upgrades with a wider participation of forum members' cars. You would know right away that your car spent some time with me. I could almost formalize the operations I have performed on the Road Warrior, BobD and a little of the TBRRD, as I have travelled the country.

Wheels would get painted, bumpers too.
Sliding door will be optimized.
CVs will be repacked, front wheel bearings, transmission oil change, spring plate bushings, detail the door jambs, make every cable smooth and lubricated, shifter too, all latches lubricated and adjusted, etc, undercoating, just the things I like to do.
Tires will wear, brake pads and shoes will too, the engine will be that much more broken-in, rock chips happen, but so does touch up. A horrifying crash or a hail storm would have to be covered by mandatory comprehensive insurance, any problem with that?

I think this thread has been killed by unfathomables.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:50 pm

You know, of course, that fixing the trim so that rust streaks don't develop plays hell on your "patina".

I'm trying to figure out how to get a second coat on this tin without moving indoors and fumigating ourselves. Too cold outside and in the barn and in the shop. It wouldn't dry until July.

neal

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:03 pm

I would allow Colin to 'borrow' one of my buses, if he is serious. I'm not sure he would want to borrow one of mine, but it's ok by me if he would.
71 bus, 74 westy

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:32 pm

I think it's a great idea...no matter what level bus you start out with, it will be adventurous and instructional....make some short videos...to embellish the write-ups and pix. Personally I look forward to any manner of reports and fix-ems from various random and remote locations
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:40 pm

Sounds like a great service to me. I would love (LOVE) to watch/read a thread of
Colin handling the Itinerant duties some year in MY bus! Stopping in his beautiful out
of the way roads rubbin her underbelly, waxing the inside of the gas filler door, and
lubin' her rollers. Yup, I would like that very much indeed. I would just feel horrible if
he had to get out and push it cause she failed :(
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car