In From Exquisite Part II (afternoon)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

In From Exquisite Part II (afternoon)

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:03 am

I made a left onto CA167 east from that beautiful hot-brake descent to Mono Lake, why? you ask, why? because there were clouds building south, that's why. CA167 turns into NV359 or something, and I thought gaily to myself, I don't have to pay $5.18 a gallon in Nevada! The landscape switched channels in a matter of 25 miles. As soon as the sun was well and truly going to HELP ME GET UNDER THE CAR FINALLY, I dived down a dirt trail to Nowhere:

Valve adjustment! We have problems, Skippy! All exhaust valve clearances are closed up by .002" or more. Don't know why I didn't notice in Battleground WA that each exhaust valve screw was sticking out of its respective rocker arm noticeably more than the intakes. Now they are all sticking out even further. Either valve seat recession, stretched valves, or some dunkydink head rebuilding is the reason for the screws sticking out, but the closed clearances have this engine on probation.

Exhaust leak repair! The hideous crap exhaust clamps that came with the new muffler up in Portland gave pj and me caniptions during Trip Prep. They are categorically useless. Luckily, airkooledchris and I had procured some proper clamps in Eureka, and I set out to install them. Type 1 bus owners? Just get in there and use the fiddlefricken multipiece clamps, they are not THAT difficult to install.

Oil change! Oil was clean except for Mike's little no-no when he rebuilt the engine ... lots of paper towel fuzz in the strainer screen!

Then it began to rain. Yep, the clouds found me, ha ha take this, baldyboy, you can't escape us, and the rain pelted dirt. I loved it.

A whole new beauty unfolded, browns and purples and desert starkness and the little brown bus just puttered on as the temperatures picked up, yes! Who needs the now-repaired Non-Noxious heater now?

This engine has a superb note, generator whine piercing through the classic horizontally-opposed aircooled thrum, and the miles somehow manage to pass by with alacrity. I pulled off to .... well .... wax and touch up the interior front door paint. I don't need no bodyshop overspray primer blotch and general Portland mold plus innumerable dings and seatbelt buckle chips, hah?
See? Interior looks pretty with the early evening desert colors:

I can't describe that evening desert painting as I reached Tonapah. Here:

Found out that the Bosch motorcycle headlamps do a brilliant job of lighting up the night after an adjustment in a cement plant driveway. Drove to Shoshone in the night, and camped the valley where I spread my dad's ashes, the moon, the silence, the perfect warm sand underfoot. Oh, and the failing generator bearings. And the oil leak.

Hey pj, you here? Remember that Guesswork Camber Adjustment? Here is a photograph of our right front tire 1,000 miles later. See how we are now contacting at the outside shoulder of the tire? NOW I can put on the new tires ....:

I am getting some oil cooler seals and a front seal and will drop the engine tomorrow. Hambone? Remember our discussion about case repair? I will find out tomorrow if the case is cracked. Remember that generator on my parts list? Good thing ....

So pretty, this drive from Portland to Los Angeles. Here is the Starbucks in Barstow where I got accosted by the Phillipino tourists and they still haven't fixed the wifi:

The Adventure is getting adventurous ....
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: In From Exquisite Part II (afternoon)

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:27 pm

Sorry to hear about the heads. Maybe it's just settling in after a long dormancy.
general Portland mold
my new rank
Where are you going to drop the engine? Have you gone mad yet, in the slow lane?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:53 pm

hambone wrote:Sorry to hear about the heads. Maybe it's just settling in after a long dormancy.
general Portland mold
my new rank
Where are you going to drop the engine? Have you gone mad yet, in the slow lane?
Hello General P. Mold,
I think I am going to drop it all over Elwood's driveway. Got the parts today, including desperately wanted dash knobs for a 1970 bus! (where are Mike's originals??) since the fat Beetle knobs were distracting, want some?

I love the slow lane. In L.A. traffic no less. All these buzzing hurriers look silly while we calmly graze and plod through the concrete at 60 mph. Got 25 mpg when the generator bearings were growling between Barstow and L.A. and I kept it to a mellow 52-55 mph.

Generator install/leak repair tomorrow ... with pictures.
Colin

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:42 pm

Once you get it running right, 65 mph is a nice all-day cruising speed. 70 seems like too much, I don't like it.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:51 pm

hambone wrote:Once you get it running right, 65 mph is a nice all-day cruising speed. 70 seems like too much, I don't like it.
Based on my understanding of these engineers, 65 is a nice all day cruising speed and 70 IS too much.

This car, however, is telling me that we are still only good for 60-62 as long as these head temps keep hitting 430 on uphills. Hoping new jets tomorrow will settle it down.
Colin

hambone

Post by hambone » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:22 am

Mixture OK? Carb clean with no vacuum leaks?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:50 am

hambone wrote:Mixture OK? Carb clean with no vacuum leaks?
Plugs are a nice light tan. Carb is clean. This engine cools down so dramatically (100* in less than 1/8th mile decel) that I am inclined to think that the power circuit is not working, everything else is friggin splendid.
Colin

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:01 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
hambone wrote:Mixture OK? Carb clean with no vacuum leaks?
Plugs are a nice light tan. Carb is clean. This engine cools down so dramatically (100* in less than 1/8th mile decel) that I am inclined to think that the power circuit is not working, everything else is friggin splendid.
Colin

If it were my bus, I'd swap out the carb as a whole, just to see what difference it would make. And knowing me, I'd probably have an extra carb sitting in the glove box too, just waiting for such an occasion.

And what's with that rocker panel on the driver's side, anyway?

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:22 am

satchmo wrote: A) If it were my bus, I'd swap out the carb as a whole, just to see what difference it would make. And knowing me, I'd probably have an extra carb sitting in the glove box too, just waiting for such an occasion.

B) And what's with that rocker panel on the driver's side, anyway?

Tim
A) It's the last "pretty" German Solex one-year-only 30Pict3 designed to run a vacuum-only distributor. If the power circuit drilling is not drilled out, I will have my answer. It is a subtle little deal hidden in the float chamber and leading up to the carb top cover.

B) How rude of you to notice ....

C) Thanks for that excellent casual dinner, we missed Philosophizing but next time.

Colin :blackeye: