Police Party @ FM Road 3421, Be There!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:04 pm

Nice to see you getting some miles on that odometer. Keep it up, sir.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:08 pm

jmstu76 wrote:
sped372 wrote:
jmstu76 wrote:Colin, where are your travels taking you after Dallas?
http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=7871 :wink:
Thanks, I forgot about that list. I'm new to this forum, but love reading the tales.

I hope you keep this up Colin. I would love to schedule a visit in 2011.
You can schedule a visit for September 16th if you like . . . :flower:
ColinInTexarkana
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:50 am

Damn Colin you never told me of your police party! BTW the oil leak fix was a complete success unfortunately we spent so much time on the 23 Window we never got to mess with the LM-1.
I ended up taking the 23 to the lake the next day. I am going to remove the swing lever and see if there is a spring washer present, the steering is scary.
But we did manage to get a lot of important stuff done as well, even though it's a a minor detail in the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't even imagine driving it without the horn.
[albumimg]3096[/albumimg][albumimg]3097[/albumimg]
Filling the steering box after running the horn wire.
[albumimg]3099[/albumimg]
The previous leaks from the tranny and RGBs are minimal to non existent now but for one puddle on the left wheel.
This makes 4 visits in 2 years, there is something to be said about being centrally located =D> Hope the cops and the humidity don't keep you away next year, you know with 3 VWs there will never be a shortage of things to do
This past visit I realized that I only shot video of your visits in the past 6 years so I shot this one after our day was done. I was beat but Colin looked like he could put in another 11 hours!
[albumimg]3098[/albumimg] :cheers:
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

jmstu76
Getting Hooked!

Post by jmstu76 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:30 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
jmstu76 wrote:
sped372 wrote:
jmstu76 wrote:Colin, where are your travels taking you after Dallas?
http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=7871 :wink:
Thanks, I forgot about that list. I'm new to this forum, but love reading the tales.

I hope you keep this up Colin. I would love to schedule a visit in 2011.
You can schedule a visit for September 16th if you like . . . :flower:
ColinInTexarkana
I wish I could. I am a poor law student and have a couple issues on my bus that I think you could really help me with. If you make another round next year, I will pay my deposit, buy the correct parts and be ready with diet coke iced down. Thanks for the offer though.
James
1976 2.0L FI with Hydraulic lifters

Edmond, OK
(405) 623-2191

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:50 pm

jmstu76 wrote: I am a poor law student.
Well then, we will tentatively hope to see you next year. You can get a discount if you represent me in the following cases:

*trespassing
*obstructing the flow of traffic
*unlawful release of aerosol products known to the state of California to cause respiratory or reproductive harm
*illegal photography on restricted property
*failure to obey a traffic control device
*unauthorized release of petroleum product at filling station (when the BobD's stupid filler vomits back those stupid vapor recovery nozzles)
*shopping at WalMart
*false representation of Starbucks coffee cup refill

Colin :flower:

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:59 pm

*indecent exposure/public nudity?
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:15 am

aopisa wrote:*indecent exposure/public nudity?
And you can represent me as a plaintiff's attorney in the preceding
Defamation and Slander, jmstu76 . . .
:cyclopsani:

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:29 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

Border Patrol pulled me over about 10 minutes later (and I had no time to get my shorts back on, so I sat there in my Calvins, my desert driving attire as shown here) :

…until Mr. Oil Guy In The Pick Up paid me a call at 7:30AM. I was still tank top and Calvins flossing my teeth to the outside rear view mirror.

…Happily stripped down to campsite Calvins and jacked the car up and removed the muffler.

I strip back down and hit the hot hot hot Dremel again.
I am sure more will be uncovered during the discovery phase. Though I don't think much more is needed once the "hot hot hot Dremel" is introduced. :evil3:
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:40 pm

aopisa wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

Border Patrol pulled me over about 10 minutes later (and I had no time to get my shorts back on, so I sat there in my Calvins, my desert driving attire as shown here) :

…until Mr. Oil Guy In The Pick Up paid me a call at 7:30AM. I was still tank top and Calvins flossing my teeth to the outside rear view mirror.

…Happily stripped down to campsite Calvins and jacked the car up and removed the muffler.

I strip back down and hit the hot hot hot Dremel again.
I am sure more will be uncovered during the discovery phase. Though I don't think much more is needed once the "hot hot hot Dremel" is introduced. :evil3:
Actually, the absence of a tan line is damning enough evidence, but it has been a joy to experience the days in my/their entirety this summer.
Colin :colors:

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:30 pm

poptop tom wrote:
Gypsie wrote:LM-1?
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm1.php
I'm familiar with it. I lent mine to Colin when he was here in P-town a few months back and was curious to hear about the results.

I am now curious to know if he has added one to his tool kit.

Well, Mr. K?

It's a nice diagnostic tool that can lead one astray if one is not being thorough.

In Colin's hands it would likely be very useful. Interested to hear what uses he has found for it.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:33 pm

Gypsie wrote: It's a nice diagnostic tool that can lead one astray if one is not being thorough.

In Colin's hands it would likely be very useful. Interested to hear what uses he has found for it.

I have found that the LM-1 is to me as the Heisenberg Priniciple is to Sir Isaac Newton.

My simple-minded linear interpretations of the wiper across the potentiometer have been discovered to be Mere CLassical Physics. See, the fact of the matter is, the ECU is interpreting the results in a far more fiendish way than I ever knew.

I have witnessed the LM-1 mixture meter going deadly lean as I shove the wiper an inch or so rich. WTF? Apparently, the ECU WILL INDEED lean out the mixture as the RPM signal drops.

I have blasted the stupid black cog mega-rich CCW only to find a 16:1 ratio under acceleration! I have decelled at 13:1 at mid-RPM and watched it go richer as the engine continued to slow.

A linear Newtonian mind will not survive this Heisenberg ECU AFM dance.
I am playing with it and hoping to catch patterns across loads and temperatures and rpm signals > or < , and it is complex. I hope to glean default adjustments, but it is time-consuming and I have been dealing with high 90's and high humidity followed by mid 60's nights, so I have variables that dog me. . . and a possible ignition system issue that may confound symptoms as I leave the expected fuel map.
My my,
Colin

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:23 am

Colin,

With the Bob D now past 55k miles, you are rapidly approaching the mileage on the white '73 Westy, Number9. It is still under 89k. I wonder how many buses out there are under 100k miles...
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:15 am

jtauxe wrote:Colin,

With the Bob D now past 55k miles, you are rapidly approaching the mileage on the white '73 Westy, Number9. It is still under 89k. I wonder how many buses out there are under 100k miles...
It looks like the BobD shall shortly succumb to middle age, its youth never to be experienced at car shows with ribbons and all, no, it is just driving and driving and driving. At somepoint it will tilt to "wow! that is a nice looking bus with 200,000 miles on it!" Oh well. It will be as stock as I can keep it, and cursed will be the day when I have to muck this thing up with the diseases of the new age; contemptibly indifferent fit and cynical lousy quality.
Colin

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:38 am

Now yer talking.
What is the sense of an erotic perfect peach, under glass? It must be eaten, juicy under a July sun. And the worms are ever-hungry for your eye-sockets.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:01 am

We spend a great deal of our life and trying to stave of entropy. Maintaining a bus makes one more keenly aware of it. A bus is just a particular arrangement of atoms that coalesces for a very brief moment of time before its atoms get dispersed into some other form.

It goes without saying that entropy eventually wins every time.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.