Itinerant Traverse . . . Shoshone!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Traverse . . . Shoshone!

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 am

This is the top of my favorite valley along CA 127 from Baker to Pahrump that is dear to my heart. It is approximately 16 miles through the next few pictures.

It was the path to my first meeting with my dad, it was the path that led my dad to his relatives in Oceanside in August of 2007 ( viewtopic.php?t=2539 ) ,
it was the lonely moonlit night where I spread some of his ashes along the wash in January 2008 ( viewtopic.php?t=3467 )

It is 2010 now. We have a different car. We have a life that inexorably drives forward to new vistas even of the same old vistas:

You cannot imagine the heat. The distances are exhilarating:

This is the midway point, where I spread my dad's ashes down the wash to the right of the car:

Looking up the hill from the bottom of the valley, I promised the BobD that it could have as much time as it wanted to get up the hill. This is where the pavement was reading in the upper 140*s:

At the top of the grade just before the road veers left:

How times change even as we are surrounded by timelessness.
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:13 am

Weighty photos and thoughts. Do you have some sort of new angled mirror technique? A hybrid compromise between horizontal and vertical?
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:51 am

Yes the green bus has a very funky mirror position.....
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:17 pm

OK, now I realize that I have a problem. Colin is waxing philosophically and exposing some pretty heavy stuff and I'm thinking "Why does he have his mirrors set like that? He would not do that arbitrarily. What can the reason for this be?"
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:05 pm

Colin thank you so much for the past links about your travels with "Dad"

Made me cry ~~~ Im a chick with emotions ~~~ what do ya expect?

I love that you ware your heart on a sleeve for all to read and the membership count proves that!

PM to come soon.

aopisa----I love your sig line and it really helps me.

The mirror position is ---well just what Colin says (if ever) it is!

I truly hope Elwood and I can take that road someday, will have to be in early spring of late fall at "Our Age"

:joker: Barb
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:21 pm

Elwood wrote:Colin thank you so much for the past links about your travels with "Dad"
Yes indeed, thank you Colin for leaving the windows open, the lights on and sharing the fresh air, the view, the reflections and the history!
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:54 pm

Elwood wrote:aopisa----I love your sig line and it really helps me. Barb
Thank you. I am glad you find comfort in it.

I think our nomadic wandering monk friend really embodies it through his approach to life than I do at this point, but I am working on it.

Coiln- Thank you for sharing such great thoughts and stories.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Awesome...

Post by jimbear » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:47 pm

Thanks for sharing Colin. Your documentation is allowing me to vicariously experience places I will not be able to see for awhile... Beautiful pics and perspective.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:26 am

. . . about that mirror position, it is an experiment to see if I can have my peripheral view of two lanes over AND a better vertical view that is required of these later buses that sit you too high to use the prior horizontal position effectively. So far, it works peachy . . . :cyclopsani:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:21 am

I just caved and put the little stick-on spot mirrors on my horizontally-oriented mirrors. Funny, in the '70 they aren't necessary. I too enjoy the lower seating height in the older bays.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Colin, what wonderful photographs and narrative. Thanks for sharing this...
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

We are not going to stick anything that dirty down in your hole - Colin, 6/30/2010