What??

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:20 pm

Sorry Colin- Even the true Oregonians with their webbed feet and pasty moss covered epidermis are pissed about it. I was a little irritated that I had to put on a long-sleeved shirt on the 4th of July - that just seems wrong.
-'72 Westy-

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:06 am

Colin,

I laugh. This is why, when I applied to grad school, they were all located in the SW. Some summers, Oregon doesn't have summer.... herm!

Warm and sunny, mid 70s with a light breeze awaits. Irvine is NOT Shambala, but man, some days it's close.

I await you with my surprise.

Lanval

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:15 am

Lanval wrote:Colin,

I laugh. I await you with my surprise.

Lanval
You're scaring me.

It is colder for me than people may think. I camp in this. Day after day after day, the temperatures have been in the upper 40s and lower 50s when I awake with cold feet and grey skies. It is like Texas February, and I was so looking forward to sunny skies and warm mornings that help me alight and get moving to burn off this stubborn winter fat. This cold Pacific morning grey has given me a desperate longing to get the hell to the desert, but I enjoy all these people here in Portland if they can put up with my incessant bitching about every cloud and every degree below 90.
So, I clear out of Portland right when the warmth arrives . . . and go to Eureka CA where the temps won't even hit 60* at noon. AYEEEEEEEEEE.
Colin
(am I repeating myself?)
(am I repeating myself?)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:46 am

ever notice the number of heavy bearded guys in the pacnw?

there's a good reason for it. =)

if you truly can't de-thaw in time for Eureka, we can always take a spin over to Willow creek. It's just 40 miles across the 299, and (wait for it) nearly 30 degrees warmer.

another option is camping there Saturday night, so the morning routine on Sunday (valves, whathaveyou) can be done in the warmth before heading back behind the chilly redwood curtain later in the day. :cheers:

the flaw in that plan is of course that Willow Creek posts nearly the same temp 'low' for the middle of the night, which could make it feel just as cold with how far the temp drops.

just a thought. any excuse to camp is a good one for me.
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:02 am

airkooledchris wrote:ever notice the number of heavy bearded guys in the pacnw?

there's a good reason for it. =)

if you truly can't de-thaw in time for Eureka, we can always take a spin over to Willow creek. It's just 40 miles across the 299, and (wait for it) nearly 30 degrees warmer.

another option is camping there Saturday night, so the morning routine on Sunday (valves, whathaveyou) can be done in the warmth before heading back behind the chilly redwood curtain later in the day. :cheers:

the flaw in that plan is of course that Willow Creek posts nearly the same temp 'low' for the middle of the night, which could make it feel just as cold with how far the temp drops.

just a thought. any excuse to camp is a good one for me.
89*/56* on July 11th . . . . . . :flower:

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:54 am

It's not gonna be below 90 again until the weekend here in Syracuse. I hate heat like that. I'd much rather be installing an engine and tranny in a snowstorm at 12 degrees.

mylopolis
I'm New!

Post by mylopolis » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:05 am

Ahhhhh....
'73 Dual Solex Campmobile

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:24 am

Amskeptic wrote:I have been robbed!
Yeah yeah .. now you know how we've been feeling since mid-April.

What happened to spring this year?
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:29 am

airkooledchris wrote:we can always take a spin over to Willow creek. It's just 40 miles across the 299, and (wait for it) nearly 30 degrees warmer.
Plus they've got a Bigfoot museum & research center in Willow Creek. Eureka ain't got one of those!
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:13 pm

92 and steamy here. The sun is sucking my soul out.

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Even here in the mountains of Vermont we will be in the 90's all week. I'm not complaining though. The winter here was dark and gray and seemed to go on forever. I am firmly in Colin's camp these days. I love it when the only decision on getting dressed in the morning is asking myself what T-shirt and pair of shorts will it be today? Hey, a nice cold beer sounds good right now!
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:15 am

chitwnvw wrote:92 and steamy here. The sun is sucking my soul out.
The humidity has got mine. My arms are sticking to the desk as I type this.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:15 pm

So I imagine somewhere there must be something in the middle of what Colin is experiencing and what's going on here in the East. We hit 108 here today and it was 102 in the shade. I don't remember ever hitting these temps in the Northeast. The last time I experienced 100+ was in Arizona....
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:25 pm

Today has been a badly needed joy! sunshine! BobD is dead behind the Starbucks! I don't know why yet! Sorry pj! Barely made it out from Kiltgy's carburetors, how rude is that? Barely got his bus running and barely made it down the street to find out why in the humiliation of my own humiliation why the BobD decided to just about flood out . . . ?
But it is sunny!!!
Colin

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Even a dead bus is easier to take when the sun is out! :flower:

Hope you figure it out pronto.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.