Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Las Vegas

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Las Vegas

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:11 pm

I still love this glitzy glam gamble glittering jewel of wretchedly excessive bad taste:

It is a diary of my growing older with these Same Time Next Year visits, starting with my very first cross-country trip with Amy where we cruised the Strip as 21 year-olds with disdain for the flashy flim-flammery:

Instead, we reaffirmed what 21 year-olds are apt to reaffirm under the moonlight out at Lake Mead Marina where we were visiting my uncle. Now, both the uncle and the marina are gone. See the old water line?

Ostensibly, I had come out here to visit my dad's ex-wife who has had some health issues, to my relief, she is actually holding steady. She knows me well, and graciously allowed me to hang out and play Gin Rummy with her in the morning before I skipped out to the Trailer Of Amazing Catpiss because I had to get to the Steinway in the worst way.

It very charitably allowed me to tune it, and it withstood this sudden marathon of banging away at it morning noon and night.

This first composition had first come to me at my brother's house just after the Road Warrior crash. It definitely made anyone who heard it want to go kill themselves it was so dark and gloomy. But the Steinway did a good job of adding weight to the sound, so the composition became a bit more grand:

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x133 ... odbyea.flv

Then, like in 2008, I had to do a little screw-around composition, My Birthday II. I do not know how to play the piano! I can only hope to catch a series of chords and string them together. This thing was a total pain in the neck, and the second kerosene lamp ate up it's wick and I could barely see. Then some recordings got wrecked by a mewling kitten from the feral colony under the trailer.

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x133 ... thdayb.flv

I left Pahrump quite deaf, quite arthritic in the fingers, quite sore in the back, very tired and very happy to have gotten this piano fix.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:57 pm

way
71 bus, 74 westy

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:04 pm

Soul medicine. Thanks for sharing.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Birdibus wrote:Which way are you headed, Colin? Do I need to run out for a new battery?
Check the itinerary for your appointment date. That is when you will want a fresh battery. This was a preliminary little tour to see if I was going to get the hang of driving a VW bus without too much anxiety. Thankfully jtauxe came up with two Los Alamos appointments to help finance this leg.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:13 pm

Ritter wrote:Soul medicine. Thanks for sharing.
It is. I love music. I am also fascinated with composition, how it comes up, how it steers you.
Colin

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:25 am

I share your love-hate relationship with Vegas. Strangely compelling, like a tornado or lutefisk for breakfast.

Steinways and cactus. How lovely. The Pahrump divertimento. :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:32 am

glasseye wrote:I share your love-hate relationship with Vegas. Strangely compelling, like a tornado or lutefisk for breakfast.

Steinways and cactus. How lovely. The Pahrump divertimento. :cheers:
Steinways and cactus and blowing banging used-to-be screen doors hanging off trailers and kittens mewling and empty paint cans and abandoned Chevy pick-ups and plastic fish stencilled shower curtains and thundering bass strings under the demented donging of wind chimes, yes.
Colin