2010 Itinerary Done!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mylopolis
I'm New!

Post by mylopolis » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:47 am

Amskeptic wrote:I have been holding off so I can keep pushing the entire schedule back as new people get onboard, but I think we can cement things in.
Will fill it in over the next week-ish, k?
Colin
'k :)
'73 Dual Solex Campmobile

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:22 pm

mylopolis wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:I have been holding off so I can keep pushing the entire schedule back as new people get onboard, but I think we can cement things in.
Will fill it in over the next week-ish, k?
Colin
'k :)
excellent - I need to get my schedule between work and the fam worked out soon (and it's such a tease being the first unscheduled date on the list.)
:bounce:
1979 California Transporter

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:03 pm

whc03grady wrote:I like him and all, but don't take Rocky to be the kind of guy who would respond well to my TELLING him I need the engine finished today and next-day aired to me. I take him to be the kind of guy that would at least suggest I take a flying leap, at most send me back a box full of parts, packed with my shredded check.

There's a real sense in which Gertie is the more important vehicle anyway. Daily Driver! Plus maybe it'll be a good learning experience to install the engine and tune the carbs without a net.
Amen, that's EXACTLY what rocky would do. And I love him for it =D>
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:08 am

whc03grady wrote:I like him and all, but don't take Rocky to be the kind of guy who would respond well to my TELLING him I need the engine finished today and next-day aired to me. I take him to be the kind of guy that would at least suggest I take a flying leap, at most send me back a box full of parts, packed with my shredded check.

There's a real sense in which Gertie is the more important vehicle anyway. Daily Driver! Plus maybe it'll be a good learning experience to install the engine and tune the carbs without a net.
Ah yes, I see. OK. Well, tell him you'll accept 2 day air :flower:
Maupin depends on the bus, right?

Say Mitch, it is 42* here in Billings with big ol clouds dropping a mist. Been that way through North Dakota. Chill working its way into my bones.

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:32 am

You might hit some snow around Homestake Pass (I-90 between milemarkers ~241 and ~226 ), but otherwise...
(Others are probably wondering what this constant fretting over Missoula's weather is all about. Tell 'em, C-c-c-c-colin!)
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

mylopolis
I'm New!

Post by mylopolis » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:26 am

Brrr! It was 95' here in Folsom yesterday!
'73 Dual Solex Campmobile

keifernet
Getting Hooked!

Post by keifernet » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:31 pm

mylopolis wrote:Brrr! It was 95' here in Folsom yesterday!
That's about how hot it was here in TX when I was test running that pair of carbs and setting the chokes so they will need to be re set for the much cooler climate! :blackeye:

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Re: 2010 Itinerary 05/12/10

Post by jimbear » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:22 am

Amskeptic wrote:
jimbear wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
midatlanticys . . . . . . . . . wherever USA
When is the next southern swing? Next year this time-ish?
Coming up in late September/early October. Whatchoogot?
Colin
Here's what I got and I will TRY to be brief. First, we are moving from GA to RI in July and hopefully the bus will be coming with. The Mrs. had a financial freakout the other day and said I might think about shedding the bus. :pukeleft: I almost busted a tear. I am working on her. My history with buses is long and her understanding ebbs and flows. I am hoping we will be cool. The major issue seems to be shipping/towing the bus up and storage when we get there. We have two cars we need to get up there and I am renting a U-haul to tow the bus and our stuff. That leaves one car with no driver! That is a problem.

Onto the bus. http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtop ... 755#150755

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:51 am

Why do people enjoy getting abused by primadona mechanics? Soup Nazi, is it worth it? Am I missing something?
Good customer service is part of business....granted there are annoying people but it shouldn't mean everyone should have to get treated that way.
I guess it's part of bragging rights - "I got abused by Jimmy!" Diamonds on the soles of her shues. And then those in the know go ooooooooooooooooooo.
:flower: :flower: :flower:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:45 am

In Rocky's case he could have retired a few years ago but his hobby happens to be his business and he has the luxury of being selective about who he does work for. He is tired (tired is an understatement) of the fast and cheap mentality that made quality suffer in recent years (and back a few as well). Plain and simple he just wont put up with any crap cause he doesn't need you or me or anyone else to enjoy his hobby....trick is that his work is top notch so you have to conform to his reality.

Not defending him by any means, that's just the way it is. I kinda dig it, wouldn't you want to be him? Surrounded by VW parts and machinery/yard full of VW's and you get to go to "work" and play all day......and you can tell a-holes to take a hike any time you want. Sounds pretty good to me.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:08 pm

hambone wrote:Why do people enjoy getting abused by primadona mechanics? Soup Nazi, is it worth it? Am I missing something?
Good customer service is part of business....granted there are annoying people but it shouldn't mean everyone should have to get treated that way.
I guess it's part of bragging rights - "I got abused by Jimmy!"
I'm not sure I'm following this correctly: is the primadonna mechanic in question Rocky Jennings, Colin, or other?
If Rocky Jennings, then I must report that I've not had poor customer service from him, much less abuse. The question was, given that he and I never set a delivery date would he, at my request, finish up my engine and get it to me as quickly as possible? I think he'd be crazy to think poor planning (or at least lack of planning) on my part constituted an emergency on his part. He said before I shipped it to him, "It'll take six to eight weeks" and I said, "Okay." I'd be completely out of line if six weeks and few days in I said "I'll be needing my engine this weekend; I know it only takes a day to assemble so I'd appreciate having it the day after tomorrow please." I'm not looking for bragging rights or anything like that--I'm looking for a quality engine that'll last me more than 13,256 miles.

If the primadonna mechanic you mean is Colin, then yes, by all means, I like getting abused by him. And just for the bragging rights.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:05 am

whc03grady wrote:
hambone wrote:Why do people enjoy getting abused by primadona mechanics? Soup Nazi, is it worth it? Am I missing something?
I guess it's part of bragging rights - "I got abused by Jimmy!"
I'm not sure I'm following this correctly: is the primadonna mechanic in question Rocky Jennings, Colin, or other?
If Rocky Jennings, then I must report that I've not had poor customer service from him, much less abuse. The question was, given that he and I never set a delivery date would he, at my request, finish up my engine and get it to me as quickly as possible? I think he'd be crazy to think poor planning (or at least lack of planning) on my part constituted an emergency on his part. He said before I shipped it to him, "It'll take six to eight weeks" and I said, "Okay." I'd be completely out of line if six weeks and few days in I said "I'll be needing my engine this weekend; I know it only takes a day to assemble so I'd appreciate having it the day after tomorrow please." I'm not looking for bragging rights or anything like that--I'm looking for a quality engine that'll last me more than 13,256 miles.

If the primadonna mechanic you mean is Colin, then yes, by all means, I like getting abused by him. And just for the bragging rights.
I enjoy abusing my customers.
:cyclopsani:
Being on their property, my every error and moment of ignorance right there for all to see, if I spew primadonna "expertise", they will see for themselves if I am just blowing bs when the car just sits there dead, my every catnap on their dime is caught when they hear me snoring under the car, and there is this forum where they can offer a good account of the disastrous waste of money, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Accountability, folks, keeps 'm honest.
Colin :flower:

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:23 pm

sgkent wrote:Colin - when you are in Folsom city be sure to let us know as we are about 10 miles from there. Will take you out to dinner.

Steve in Citrus Heights (Sacramento)
And if you let me know, I'll be happy to join you. I'm in Sacramento, too.

(But I'll pay for my own dinner!)
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:19 am

JLT wrote:
sgkent wrote:Colin - when you are in Folsom city be sure to let us know as we are about 10 miles from there. Will take you out to dinner.

Steve in Citrus Heights (Sacramento)
And if you let me know, I'll be happy to join you. I'm in Sacramento, too.

(But I'll pay for my own dinner!)
Schedule is very jammy right now. Stay tuned. Way up the schedule, I accidentally said "sure" to a delay that has knocked the dominoes down.
Colin

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:07 pm

I see you are coming on Monday. Let me extend an invitation for 4 July to spend the night and participate in our small neighborhood gathering at our abode. I've even bought diet Coke, though I have sworn off the devil's elixir, you are more than welcome to all you can drink.