BobD Back To Atlanta

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:55 pm

Catch-all response here:

First valve adjustment was just an emergency deal at vdubtech's, now it is the official 32 valves nightmare with serious disassembly required for the timing belt at the same time . . . along with the $90.00 idlers and another bunch for the tensioner. . . but it will be a reward to be able to get on it like the I was able to get on the BMW with its more reliable double-row chain.

The red sash was decorator-installed in the Road Warrior by Cindy's daughter, it is a keepsake.

The taillight scratches were repaired by a headlamp restoration kit that is supposed to turn your brown opaque Ford headlamp covers back to brilliant translucent. Four sanding pads with lubrication sauce followed by a paste polish. Worked splendidly. Good for plastic instrument glass too I bet.

Z, it would be very helpful if I can get this nasty job done before the weather turns any cooler. I'da be most grateful.
Colin

Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:59 pm

I agree I like chains over belts myself....in fact I dont own a car w a timing belt. I replaced many many of them and they are very reliable up to double the manufacturers recommended mileage interval but after that they can fail any moment. I generally recommend to my cust that they go no more than 150%. Good idea to do the idler and tensioner pulleys too and the water pump if its turned by the belt, or if the belt needs to be removed to replace it.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:56 am

Amskeptic wrote:First valve adjustment was just an emergency deal at vdubtech's
Pics or it didn't happen. :geek:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:08 am

Vdubtech wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:First valve adjustment was just an emergency deal at vdubtech's
Pics or it didn't happen. :geek:
We did not know the vistas of frustration yet to come here . . .

The most difficult access was, of course, the valve that desperately needed some shimming . . . with a hacked off .007 chunk of feeler blade that was nicely ground into a rough facsimile of a "shim".

All done. Fortunately . . .

Meanwhile, I believe their was a roofing job going on??

Pics. It happened.
Colin :blackeye:

pb24ss
Old School!
Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

Post by pb24ss » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:57 pm

Gypsie wrote:Standing tall with a steely eyed salute to Bretski and CaliVW....
i salute them too...
78 P22 Westy

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:24 pm

dual over head cam 4 valve per cylinder Hemi head V8, no wonder those cars have some guts.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Meanwhile, I believe their was a roofing job going on??
That is one good looking hard workin Bus. Let's see Ford do a better commercial.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:45 pm

Image[/quote]

Imagine getting clotheslined by that?!!?

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:13 pm

Indeed sir, and there they are to prove it. The memories of summer come flooding back like they were yesterday. I was actually thinkin about you today Colin as I walked around the pick n pull just a couple of minute drive from my house.

Yes sir, I was pullin double duty that day running in betwen Colin and the Lexus and Kenny and the garage repair, which was quite ugly. It's about 99% done now, and it fought us every step of the way. From the SIX layers of roofing I scraped off of it, to the rotted wood, to the rotted trusses.....it was a mess. We brought it back though...we ended up having to jack up (with my floor jack no less) every wall and rebuild it stud by stud...then attack the roof. Peel it all off and start fresh was our only option. All that's left is the soffit and to rehang the basketball hoop and VW Emblem. Here it was as it sat last week. The Panel Bus is gone now...

Oh, and BTW--anyone that tells you that you can't carry 14 foot lumber in your Bus and shut the rear hatch...tell em they're full of shit....the proof is right up there in the pics. :geek:

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:22 pm

I did a classic double-take when I notice the second, LONGER bundle of lumber projecting forwards. :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:23 pm

I was wondering 12 foot or 16 foot, would have been wrong either way.

Your garage looks huge.

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:31 pm

chitwnvw wrote:I was wondering 12 foot or 16 foot, would have been wrong either way.

Your garage looks huge.
Actually you would have been kinda right--there are some 16 footers sticking out the front window--I put the 14 footers through the slider door window. My garage is a decent size, but right this second it looks like a bomb went off in it. I have an entire vehicle in it that you can't even see, it's just kind of a big mound o'stuff.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:09 pm

:cheers: Three cheers for men who git er done! :cheers: :cheers:

Colin, if you are reading this, I hope we'll see you shortly. Full moon and all.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:45 am

I notice the second, LONGER bundle of lumber projecting forwards.
I went back to look and was amazed, too. then I realized the door isn't even a slider anymore.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:39 am

Vdubtech wrote: I was actually thinkin about you today Colin as I walked around the pick n pull just a couple of minute drive from my house.

How do you FIND these things? You have an inside track to every pound puppy air-cooled VW in the Northeast, then you TRIP over a Lexus LS400 in the process? Can I . . . can I . . . can i . . . possibly inconvenience you to . . . you know . . . let me see what Austin has first.
Colin :bounce: