Colin in Cleveland

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sean Gallagher
Addicted!

Colin in Cleveland

Post by Sean Gallagher » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Many thanks to Don (VWlover77) for arranging a brief stopover at my place for Colin in Cleveland this evening. A good time was had by all. A couple of the LEAKOIL bretheran turned up to say hello. If you don't know us we are here... http://www.leakoil.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
We had a nice gathering and dinner up at the local Irish pub. Colin is a wonderful asset to the VW community. He goes through an ongoing
metamorphosis that always results in positive karma. Tonight was no exception. Here are a few photos...
Josh and Don w/ Josh's '58
Don's ever familiar '78
Checking engine head temps..
Don's "eat off it's so clean" engine...
Colin and Kyle (the guy who builds the bay and vanagon wiring harnesses) with Josh's 58 and my '59...
Kyle's Ford Z tech powered Vanagon...
Colin said I better adjust the clutch on the '59!

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:44 pm

Yo! Cool! Nice buses.

Can't wait. CK is heading our way.

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:37 pm

Wow!!! Those are some BEEEEAUUUTIFUL rides.... the fact that Colin left that house in a sedan just seems wrong to me.
-'72 Westy-

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:40 pm

Oregon72 wrote:Wow!!! Those are some BEEEEAUUUTIFUL rides.... the fact that Colin left that house in a sedan just seems wrong to me.
Have to make ends meet.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:45 am

I'm jealous that we couldn't be there, especially for the pub crawl - especially if it was the same place we went to!

I am grateful that Colin is in a sedan driving - something available that he can feel safe in! :flower:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:26 am

Nice Lexus :joker:
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:32 am

Sean, you must have been posting photos as I was pounding my way back down I-71 toward home! Very nice! Thank you again for allowing us to descend on your pub/garage for a gathering!

Sean is a very welcoming and gracious host, and has the perfect setting for a VW gathering!

Colin and I toasted being age 50 last night (I just passed that milestone on Wednesday) and it struck me how very blessed we both are to have been around for this long. Obviously, it's even closer to Colin right now given the ordeal that he's been through and is still going through with the crash. I got the feeling he's looking beyond what his next Bus should be to what the next chapter in his life should be. Maybe that's the good that comes out of something so bad.

So, please don't give the man a hard time about driving a Lexus. Us old guys have earned a few creature comforts, after all! :geek: And, it is a beautiful piece of engineering and precision machinery in its own right. (Wait till he shows you the flourescent, holographic instrument panel!)
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:54 am

yondermtn wrote:Nice Lexus :joker:
Aw heck, I am diluting the Brand Identity around here. Sorry.

Don't think for a second, Troy, that I don't bitterly miss my beautiful Take-In-The-Day air-cooled travels, and those beloved quiet cricket music evenings in the VW-That-Is-Now-Dead-Because-Of-A-Twit.

Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 am

:flower:
71 bus, 74 westy

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:19 am

Oregon72 wrote:Wow!!! Those are some BEEEEAUUUTIFUL rides.... the fact that Colin left that house in a sedan just seems wrong to me.
It's all good. The Lexus is a BEEEEEAUUUUUTIFUL ride, too. :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:25 am

glasseye wrote:
It's all good. The Lexus is a BEEEEEAUUUUUTIFUL ride, too. :cheers:
Yes it is. And quiet as can be.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:33 am

Amskeptic wrote:

Don't think for a second, Troy, that I don't bitterly miss my beautiful Take-In-The-Day air-cooled travels, and those beloved quiet cricket music evenings in the VW-That-Is-Now-Dead-Because-Of-A-Twit.

Colin
I'm feeling your pain, and mostly glad you are here no matter what gets you from A to B. The cricket music still plays and it is as beautiful as it ever has been - perhaps more. :flower:
-'72 Westy-

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:49 am

Troy, do you think we can melt down The Road Warrior and make IAC rings out of it. How cool would that be?

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:36 am

chitwnvw wrote:Troy, do you think we can melt down The Road Warrior and make IAC rings out of it. How cool would that be?
Can we get pieces from it? I remember a story from the Civil War, where a Confederate unit was captured and their flag with them. The men ripped the flag up and handed out the pieces to all those captured. Years afterward at a reunion, they brought with them the flag pieces they still carried with them and showed they still had them.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:55 am

Sylvester wrote:
chitwnvw wrote:Troy, do you think we can melt down The Road Warrior and make IAC rings out of it. How cool would that be?
Can we get pieces from it? I remember a story from the Civil War, where a Confederate unit was captured and their flag with them. The men ripped the flag up and handed out the pieces to all those captured. Years afterward at a reunion, they brought with them the flag pieces they still carried with them and showed they still had them.
Did they put them back together? I can see it in a movie, all of us getting together years from now and reassembling The Road Warrior. It'll be a teary moment and we'll all remember The Itinerant and the steed that carried him through so many adventures...cut to montage.