Disposition of the Road Warrior

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:28 pm

Colin,

I'd happily pay more than $300 for the engine. If you're not going to scrap it, save it ~ send pieces of it out, and let the soul of the car live. The shipping & stuff can be worked out.

My two cents...

Michael / Lanval

addendum: I should add, my suggestion only follows, if: you don't find another body to transplant parts and pieces into.

You might consider contacting one of the places that hoard these things, if you really want the '73. Dollars to donuts that Jim over in Elsinore has at least one '73 in some variation. How's about a '73 westy?

ML

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Re: Disposition of the Road Warrior

Post by midatlanticys » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:29 pm

Amskeptic wrote: . . . . looked at the engine and sighed. . . . . . and offered to store it at their company's facility.
BINGO!! Colin, I know you see clearly, but these are v. emotional times and this old girl just saved your bacon & life as you know it. I'd let the weepy eyed insurance guy store the bus and let the choices & options evolve with time and distance.

I'd also want to know about his payout for pain/suffering, loss of income, inconvenience, repatriation of yourself and the Warrior's contents to NY etc etc
Elwood wrote: DO NOT sign away future medical needs, we all pray you never need them, however . . . .
is verrry sage advice!!! =D> =D> =D>

just my two pence in the ring!

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:34 pm

Hey gang,

We got it figured out...I'll let Colin elaborate*, but suffice it to say, the Road Warrior will have a safe place to sleep until the conclusion of the Itinerary.

* No rash decisions were allowed to be made. :D
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:43 pm

Oh you need to keep it Colin! At least for parts. You can never have too many spare parts.
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:18 pm

bretski wrote:Hey gang,

We got it figured out...I'll let Colin elaborate*, but suffice it to say, the Road Warrior will have a safe place to sleep until the conclusion of the Itinerary.

* No rash decisions were allowed to be made. :D
I talked to Colin and he told me - good job! Let me know if you need anything on my end, since the Road Warrior is still in my jurisdiction. :geek:

It was great having Colin for an extended stay...except for the circumstances surrounding it. My daughter was sad to see him go, as we all were. He is back on the road I believe as I type this.

I'll leave it up to Colin (if he chooses) to tell you what he is driving... :pukeleft:
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:34 pm

Wow, I'm very surprised at the initial offering of $13,000. I thought for sure you'd get a stupid low ball offer. You lucked out getting an adjuster with VW ties.

Glad it sounds like you've decided to keep it. For only $300 buy back it would have been a no brainer for me. I like the idea of transferring as many parts as you can to a donor. Or like some others suggested, getting a Westy for a little more comfort on your cross country adventures.

Also I'll repeat the advice of not settling on the medical and pain and suffering part of the claim. Those whip lash type injuries can slowly creep up on you over the weeks after an accident. BTDT.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:08 pm

I think it could be fixed if you had the time. I really do.
But if it were me, I'd take the money, and the parts and use them elsewhere.

...For starters, BobD Bus needs a righteous set of tailfins, JATO unit, and a parabrake.

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:29 pm

Any photos of this so called BobD Bus?
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:02 pm

werksberg wrote:Any photos of this so called BobD Bus?
Oh yeah. Here's one:

Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:26 am

Quadratrückseite wrote:I'll leave it up to Colin (if he chooses) to tell you what he is driving... :pukeleft:
Colin - if you need another bus to finish your 2009 Itineray through Sepember, you are welcome to use my Westy. It ain't the Road Warrior, but it is air-cooled, and FREE :flower: .

Just don't give me sh*t about my lack of rust preventive measures :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

Paul
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:24 am

Mr Blotto wrote:
Quadratrückseite wrote:I'll leave it up to Colin (if he chooses) to tell you what he is driving... :pukeleft:
Colin - if you need another bus to finish your 2009 Itineray through Sepember, you are welcome to use my Westy. It ain't the Road Warrior, but it is air-cooled, and FREE :flower: .

Just don't give me sh*t about my lack of rust preventive measures :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

Paul
That is a very kind offer Mr. Blotto. But I swear I would rather crash up all of my own cars one at a time than one other person's. It might be that you or anyone else may not be as saddened at the loss of a car (for crying out loud) as I have been, but I do not want to take that chance.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:34 am

BTW - this was my old bus after striking an elk in the early '80s:

And the thing lived:

Its amazing what you can do!

:drunken:
Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:44 am

WoWzers! :cheers:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:00 am

hambone wrote:WoWzers! :cheers:
Good grief!

A) Some big elk.

B) Devoted repair.

C) Heart-warming result.

My bus showed a great deal of involvement of major structural components with the collision box tying in all four front frame rails. I have a buckled front floor all the way over to the right side, a buckled roof, the front aisle between the seats was pulled left, the frame is shortened behind the front axle on the left, the passenger door didn't push back it actually pulled forward as the frame rails did their job, it is done. I want never-touched frame rails under my feet . . . damn straight.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:05 am

If you do plan to replace it, there shoure-be a lots da buses here which we'd be delighted to check out for you, when the time comes.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat