Road Warrior Meets Its End . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:27 am

Time for a restorative vacation, Colin. Understanding one's limitations is all part of the game of life. Get some sleep, sit on your ass and have fun posting here.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:09 am

I'll find ya a meadow somewhere in the wilderness. That would be good for you, to escape humanity for a spell. Bless their pointy little heads but GOOD GOD...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:44 am

An XBOX 360 would do you wonders right now. Smoke some of the good stuff and relax with a completely pointless video game.
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:43 am

My brother has been mandated to give up his new love, my Lexus, at 5:00PM this afternoon. I do so understand these automotive bonds, so I am trying to be gentle but firm.

I miss my VW, half for its unassuming competent pluckiness over the past 30 years, and half for its effect upon my very sense of being, like its character was mine just by association. To make this moment of reflection all the more challenging, I have a "new" bus in the driveway, like some well-meaning parent dumped a new puppy in the lap of a grieving child or a rebound affair with that beautiful young office professional who is bereft of the quirky wisdom you miss so bitterly. The BobD is beautiful. But Relationship is clearly built on something more, shared experiences and challenges, yes, but nurturance is a key (I have seen some long relationships of shared experiences and challenges where they hate each other, noooooooo).

I did take one part off the Road Warrior to deliver directly to the BobD, the shifter extension which I believe is the One Part worthy of bridging this gulf of experience between the two. That thing has shifted under my right hand for a half million miles . . . we'll see how many more.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:52 am

Don't be so hard on the Bobd, you've just met. Get to know one another. If after dating you still feel the same way then don't force it, maybe part ways.
It's hard to lose a friend of 30 years, but it's even harder to try to hold on to something that no longer exists. WALK IT OFF - FIND NEW JOY. Joy is not conditional.
As Eva would say:
"you get what you get and you don't throw a fit"
Ha-RUMPF you're too tough a cookie to get too sidelined by this. All part of the grand plan.
Go find God somewhere, he'll tell you what to do. IfyouknowwhatImean.
-Meddling Bob
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:29 pm

Good grief look at all the hits these subjects have generated. This incident needs to be in a book too.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:14 am

Sorry to hear about your bus Colin. I'm a little late to this thread but I'm glad you are ok. It is always hard to loose a good vehicle to someone elses stupidity.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:58 pm

gmag69 wrote:It is always hard to loose a good vehicle to someone elses stupidity.
And all the other things people lose to others' stupidity, limbs, spouses, brains, children, lumbar vertebrae, eyes. I do wish people would take driving seriously.
Colin

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:34 am

Holy Crap! I've been out and about so much I missed this thread until now!

Colin, I am so glad that you are 'ok' and not DEAD. You should be dead after a crash like that at those speeds. A co-worker of mine got into a head on crash driving their Ford 'super huge' Expedition at slower speeds and didn't walk away from it. He and his wife had shattered bones and alot of other horrible problems. He didn't walk for a year, lost the ability to speak and couldn't work for two years. Unfortunately it was so bad that he and his wife were just never going to come back near 100%. The other driver, a 16 year old, died.

As for the bus... Sad as it might be, it's just a thing that can be replaced. Don't get me wrong, I'd cry for days if Bert got totalled, but then I'd just take any and all parts I wanted and swap them to a new body. Heck, Bert is so rusted out I'm just going to swap him to a new body anyway. The frame doesn't make the bus, the person, the work and the internals are what make the bus.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:29 pm

Adventurewagen wrote:Holy Crap! I've been out and about so much I missed this thread until now!
Ya. Isn't this just the goddamdest thing? It's just when you spend that many miles on the road the odds of a mishap go up I guess.
That old Bus gave up its life keeping that car off'n Colin's lap.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:17 pm

Hippie wrote:It's just when you spend that many miles on the road the odds of a mishap go up I guess.
I was thinking of this also. It's like those hard core mountaineers that climb Everest and K2. Eventually the odds catch up to even the most skilled.

But to die doing what you love.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:30 am

Amskeptic wrote:I do wish people would take driving seriously.
Colin
Can I get a AY-MEN?

AYYYY MENNNNNNNN!
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:52 am

chitwnvw wrote:But to die doing what you love.
Heck yeah!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:29 am

Adventurewagen wrote:
You should be dead after a crash like that at those speeds.
A co-worker of mine got into a head on crash driving their Ford 'super huge' Expedition at slower speeds and didn't walk away from it.

The reality of a car crash is that there are all kinds of physics that just about appear to be happenstance. The 19 year-old who panicked in my crash fortunately lost traction when she veered back across my front. Had the rear of her car not swung out, we would have had a square frontal impact. Heck, one foot closer to the center of my car would have spelled curtains for me. And had she been driving an Expedition . . .

The weird thing about walking away from a crash like that is the swirling question of what to do with your life.
Colin

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:42 am

Amskeptic wrote:The weird thing about walking away from a crash like that is the swirling question of what to do with your life.
Colin
Remember you have many friends here who care for you Colin. Life's challenges can test you. You, my friend have certainly been tested.

-John
Keep it acoustic.