Itinerant Air Cooled Greetings From Los Banos CA

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air Cooled Greetings From Los Banos CA

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:16 pm

But first, did I mention that I ran into a gaggle of bugs just down from MCI Central?

I just know that somebody here wants a nice '66 bug with a decent door post:

I have the contact name and #.
His father-in-law had come out to see what "in hell was I doing?" "I AM trying to get the passenger door on the Superbeetle to close so the rain will not continue to ruin the interior." How's that for an answer?

Anyways,

It was a pleasure to enjoy my first real hot sunny day. 102* in Gilroy CA, so I hopped a ride down 152 East to Los Banos:

As I gloried in the heat and readjusted the nose cone mount, I spied Today's Message:

So, I did. I drove all the way to Merced CA and decided to go around the Yosemite Tourist Trap via CA 49 North to CA 108. This was my brake's first intimation that it was going to be a looong day:

On the upside of that hill, I found a big tree that I had to visit:

Then the oil light came on as I was creeping down the path. It would not go off even when I revved the engine. Had to shut it down and stare at this:

"Bus?" I says to Road Warrior, "you can't do this today. You have to have oil pressure because we are 4,500-5,000 rpm TODAY . . . NOW." I looked up the road and saw what looked like a lava outcropping. Mused I, "that's my crankshaft in three minutes if I don't get pressure . . ." :

A half a quart over the full mark gave me back my oil pressure. So we went hill climbing:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:34 pm

Colin - Elwood is giggling at your trip and saying :cheers: to your experiance and looking forward to a map of just where you are????

So many roads around the great California or Nevada out back to drive --Please share -- will you???? I kinda know from past road trips but it would be great to hear from a New Yorker. Be carefull, lots of rattlers this season. xooxoBarb

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Elwood wrote:Colin - Elwood is giggling at your trip and saying :cheers: to your experiance and looking forward to a map of just where you are????

So many roads around the great California or Nevada out back to drive --Please share -- will you???? I kinda know from past road trips but it would be great to hear from a New Yorker. Be carefull, lots of rattlers this season. xooxoBarb
It is so gorgeous out here. I love California! The whole thing. Scary how the reservoirs are so low, what was it, the San Luis Reservoir? waaaay down. So was the reservoir outside of Coulterville. But not here, somewhere near Pinecrest?:

I am waiting until daylight to do US 50 over to 95 south then cut in to get to the frying pan of Stovepipe Wells and Death Valley then Death Valley Junction to Pahrump where I can enjoy yet more heat in my dad's boarded up trailer where Steinway may or may not be in the mood to eke out some more music. Poor thing.
Colin

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:19 pm

Thanks Colin for your input of local photos, I as well as many do not have the input, We that care deeply about our inviroment have a small connection to the outside world and it is reassuing to hear that others care.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:52 pm

Elwood wrote:Thanks Colin for your input of local photos, I as well as many do not have the input, We that care deeply about our inviroment have a small connection to the outside world and it is reassuing to hear that others care.
this was my orignal post that somhow got changed???
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:00 am

Elwood wrote:
Elwood wrote:Thanks Colin for your input of local photos, I as well as many do not have the input, We that care deeply about our inviroment have a small connection to the outside world and it is reassuing to hear that others care.
this was my orignal post that somhow got changed???
I don't see any change. Remember that the site automatically word-wraps.
If you drag the border of the browser window, you will see the words jump down a line as you narrow the window.
Colin

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:03 am

How are you not pooping yourself with that engine running that way? Nerves of steel, insanity, neither, both, hotdog?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:20 pm

hambone wrote:How are you not pooping yourself with that engine running that way? Nerves of steel, insanity, neither, both, hotdog?
When you know a thing for three decades, you just know. This stupid engine has lost its prime a few times, like at Adventurewagen's in 2007, it just drains it all out if I am at an angle. Then if it is not in the mood to pick up its prime, we have a spat. As in other relationships, a little extra lubrication in such moments helps.
Colin