Lodi WI Checking in (06/09/2009)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

Lodi WI Checking in (06/09/2009)

Post by sped372 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:17 am

What a day yesterday was! Will post more later but for now I'm off to work. Colin hit the road at about 9:50 after a quick burger and fries downtown...
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:32 pm

I had the bus stripped to the spindles in preparation of a ball-joint-boot replacement. I hear something and look up just in time to see the blue bus roll into the driveway. After a brief introduction we were down to business.

Colin had been worried about the eccentric adjusters through which the upper ball-joint studs pass. Sounds like they can be real bears to get separated but fortunately for us mine cooperated. Unfortunately the lower left (drivers) ball-joint, one of the supposed "easier" ones, decided it was quite happy where it was thank you very much. A hundred or so fruitless ball-peen whacks later we switched tactics. We picked up a pitman-arm puller from CarQuest and proceeded not to use it. Apparently its long lost twin had been stowing away in Colin's toolbox. Luckily CarQuest permits returns on unopened items. Anyhow the puller did the trick and we gratefully plodded onward.

Colin cleaned up the brake shoes and backplates; I got a lesson in brake drum cross-hatch sanding. Between the two of us we wrestled everything back together and I was guided through the proper bearing clean/repack/adjustment procedure. Bled the brakes, adjusted the shoes, (yes Colin, if I sit and think about it long enough I do understand which way to turn the adjuster now :blackeye: ), and the bus was back on four wheels.

So here we were at around 6pm and Colin hadn't yet driven anything except his own vehicle. We hopped in the bus and pulled out of the drive, squeaky disconnected outer steering column tube and all. We were happy to find the brake pull had been cured and the slight leftward drift had now turned to an even slighter rightward one. Now knowing how to adjust the eccentrics I can dial that in myself. Colin noted a non-concentric noise emanating from the clutch, something that I'm sure will sit in the back of my mind and poke my brain every time I drive anywhere from now until I pull the engine. Otherwise, I was pleased to hear few observations. As for my 'driver's test' - again, I was somewhat surprised to not be scolded for something or the other. Must've had a lucky day.

Next was the Ghia. We didn't have time to actually do anything to it but Colin took it for a spin nonetheless. He had a few suggestions and things to watch for but otherwise said it was "a sweetheart."

As for the Beetle, the poor thing just needs some attention. I've had it my entire driving life and it deserves a thorough once-over. Colin pointed out my erroneous timing marks (off 5 degrees, at least I was retarded not advanced - no jokes please), quickly helped re-time and adjust the carb and a solid 68% of my hesitation problem went away. By this time we were out of daylight and we shut things down and cleaned up. A quick review over the dining room table, a short ride downtown for some food, and Colin was gone.

It seemed like so much had happened in such a short time. I remember sunshine and bird songs somewhere in there but mostly just a feeling of gratitude to have backup. Working on cars is great but it almost seems like you have to fail a couple times if you're learning on your own... it's great to have someone to bounce things off of for immediate feedback.

Thanks again for everything Colin. Sorry for dribbling brake fluid on your back through the steering column hole during the bleeding procedure!

[albumimg]2542[/albumimg]
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:51 pm

pics or it didn't happen!!!!

sike! sounds like a good ole' fashion VW work day. glad you've got 3 cars on the road now!
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:50 pm

What an excellent collection of VWs. And what a pleasure it was to meet a mechanical engineer with a fine intelligence (even if it is 5* retarded :blackeye: ) and an eye for quality. I really should have photographed the bus with the stationary wing windows, a European fitment that people would have enjoyed seeing here on the forum. Sped372 is a very fortunate man, he has a wife who not only spent the better part of the day washing and waxing that beautiful Karmann Ghia, but also showed me how to double-clutch.
Colin
[your directions worked fine (the road signs made it very easy to negotiate roundabouts and bridges) and I made it to Iowa before fatigue shut me off like a light switch]
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:20 am

Amskeptic wrote:I really should have photographed the bus with the stationary wing windows, a European fitment that people would have enjoyed seeing here on the forum.
Let me know what you want (inside, outside, closeup?) and I'll get some up.
Amskeptic wrote:your directions worked fine (the road signs made it very easy to negotiate roundabouts and bridges)
Glad to hear it, guess we were just used to dealing with people relying on the GPS to guide them... those are the types that aways seem to get stymied by zig zags.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:23 am

Hit me yer best shots :geek:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:18 pm

Gypsie wrote:Hit me yer best shots :geek:
Inside and outside, sped372, it was weird to see simple rubber along the window sill all the way around the front.
ColinInSouthDakotaRainingRainingRaining

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:11 pm

Ok, so here are some pictures... in addition to having no vent wings we also do not have jalousies or electrical. That's pretty much all I've been able to identify but I've never had another bus so there might be more differences. This must have been a 'tourist delivery' bus because the original log shows fill-ups in Spain, Denmark, Germany, France, etc.

[albumimg]2561[/albumimg] [albumimg]2562[/albumimg] [albumimg]2563[/albumimg]
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:07 pm

sped372 wrote:Ok, so here are some pictures... in addition to having no vent wings we also do not have jalousies or electrical. That's pretty much all I've been able to identify but I've never had another bus so there might be more differences. This must have been a 'tourist delivery' bus because the original log shows fill-ups in Spain, Denmark, Germany, France, etc.

[albumimg]2561[/albumimg]
That's a clean look. . . how does ventilation hold up in the heat?
Colin