Itinerant Air Cooled Greetings From Portland

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air Cooled Greetings From Portland

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:11 am

It has been busy. . . .

This is Kevin75 standing next to his bus after our day. Though it was a bit overwhelming for him to be immersed in automotive arcana, it was a pleasure to bring to him the spirit of of this slightly battle-weary bus.

After the tune-up speil, we went on a test drive that presented some of the most horrendous noises I have ever experienced in an automobile. Horrendous intermittant grinding and chucking emanating from the gearbox when my foot was on the clutch, these noises seemed completely independent of whatever gear was selected. At the local store parking lot where we picked up some brake fluid, the noises were loud enough that people were looking at me like "does that IDIOT know how to drive a manual transMISSION???" I felt so bad for the poor thing. But what was it? I came to guess that maybe the reverse idler was smacking the 1/2 synchronizer after a tough spell in its recent past when the clutch cable partially broke and it was driven without full disengagement. Don't ask me why, but I thought, "let's shut off the engine and select reverse and coast down the hill forward and let out the clutch against the stopped engine." Kevin75 looks at me with that slightly bemused look. But it just seemed right, to kick the reverse idler hard to see if we could bang it away from the 1/2 synchronizer or sumpin. The rest of the day, this bus drove like a sweetheart, and I am extremely curious to know if it is still quiet. . . Kevin? Yaah? Naah?

So next day was dhoch14 engine rebuild. But we need a little janitorial interlude, so I bailed at 2:00PM with a return date (today actually) set up to actually get it together.

Next day was misszora, my friend, the white bus that I dearly wanted to minister, since it has endured much mechanical mayhem from creative mechanics who jes love their welder. I arrived to an engine sitting clean and pretty, awaiting a cure from its little chirp:

Soon it was not clean and pretty. You can see a nasty burn-through at the #1 cylinder barrel, and this was the quiet side of the engine. Uh oh:

And this was the canary side, where the burn-through was recent and small, canary chirps are little leaks, big leaks are ticky, more like a leaky exhaust manifold or flange.

So, I get stupid. I decide to Itinerant Scissorhands both heads. But here's the thing; it is painstaking work to razor down a cylinder head spigot and I had to do a total of FOUR spigots (if you cut one head sealing surface down, you have to bring down its pair so the head and the two barrels are still properly parallel). I love this sort of work, but I forget that we have a ten hour day and each spigot deserves a good hour. My fatal decision was to let the crunch of time dictate the results. . . with a weak sort of lack of conviction, I announce the heads ready for installation around 4:00PM:

Now Paige does not know this, but I found her own tender ministrations beautiful to behold:

This is exactly what I am seeking, this sort of connection with your old VW, yet I am watching her and Mark (Marc?) put this engine together while I have writhing inner irritations with time why does it have to slip by so damn fast? And why do people WELD exhaust systems to alternator brackets??
At 9:00PM, we call off any further reassembly due to the impending arrival of guests, and we too set up a return date to install the engine and sore exhaust system in time to get to the LuckyLab at 7:00PM on Monday.

Next day, it is off to Hambone Manor for a day with his perfectly just-right companion, his '69 bus where we muscle in a a new rear window in the 100* heat (perfect temperature for keeping sore muscles loose) and install a new transaxle flange seal and pack CVS while we marvel at the engineering. And pictures of childhood like this:

NEXT day was IFBwax with his beautiful Charlie Brown bus and the Party Pickle and the very most affectionate supervisor I have ever seen, she just draped herself over the Mechanic In Training and was very supportive of his efforts to file exhaust flanges. But that we all had such friendly supervisors. . .

NEXT DAY was back to misszora. . . but I must run, I have another call to get to, I'll finish this up later.. . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:47 pm

See you in the AM Colin. The green bus lives! New battery and she fired right up, even idled for about 5 min.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:29 am

I luuuuuuuuuuv these posts!

I tell ya, there's a TV series here. Two cameras, two buses, six months, thirty states, thirteen episodes, a hundred grand. Peanuts.

Volkswagen should sponsor it.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:46 am

glasseye wrote:Volkswagen should sponsor it.
Puhleeese! VW abandoned the girl that brought them to the dance (aircooled VW's) years ago. Only recently have they started using an old Beetle in their ads because they're "cool" with the kids again. Shame on them.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:02 pm

glasseye wrote:I luuuuuuuuuuv these posts!

I tell ya, there's a TV series here. Two cameras, two buses, six months, thirty states, thirteen episodes, a hundred grand. Peanuts.
I am ready to go (well, Miss Zora needs a little more TLC)! I need a reason to quit my job. And GumOut can sponsor the show!!!!!

p.s. thank you Colin for the sweet words - caught me off guard.
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

Runamuck Bus
Getting Hooked!

Made for TV...

Post by Runamuck Bus » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:19 pm

This Old Bus?
Endeavor to Persevere.
'72 Weekender

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:32 pm

I read your passage about my supervisor to her. She didn't understand. So I said, "Colin says he liked the way you hung on me while I was working. He thought it was cute." She says, "Tell him thanks."

I'm usually really good about taking a few shots, but this time I let the supervisor take a few. So these are all from her.

The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Re: Made for TV...

Post by glasseye » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:44 pm

Runamuck Bus wrote:This Old Bus?
:bounce:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

kevin75
I'm New!

kevin75's Demon Tranny

Post by kevin75 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:41 pm

Just wanted to pass it on that the trans is still working noise free. I expect at any moment it will start complaining again...but for the time being, all is well. Of course I am being VERY VERY VERY gentle with it. Thanks loads Colin.

kevin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: kevin75's Demon Tranny

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:20 am

kevin75 wrote:Just wanted to pass it on that the trans is still working noise free.
Hitsa meeericle. I will be very excited if it keeps behaving. Thanks for the update!
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Re: kevin75's Demon Tranny

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:03 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
kevin75 wrote:Just wanted to pass it on that the trans is still working noise free.
Hitsa meeericle. I will be very excited if it keeps behaving. Thanks for the update!
Colin
Didn't we have a bootleg rig thread a while back. This belongs right at the top. :cheers:

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:27 pm

Hiya All,

So......Colin moseyed on over to my place on Tuesday. Either he has a very good memory for addresses or he is keeping meticulous records because he drove to my place without asking for the address. Maybe it's his extensive system of spies, stooges and lackeys.

I wanted to make use of his extensive knowledge of VW engine innards inasmuch as I am planning on doing some rebuilding myself. So, most of the day was a cross between elementary education and internal combustion forensics.

It started out pretty much like this...........

Colin: (putting his hand on an engine) This is an engine.

Me: Can we take this a bit slower?

And the rest of the day continued in a similar vein. Except when he made wear a dunce cap and sit in the corner.

In spite of working with a remedial type student, Colin did manage to impart knowledge about heads, valves, rods, lifters, pistons, pushrods, and how to play nicely with all of them. Seems that his mantra regarding engine construction is clean, clean, clean, measure, measure, measure. Then clean and measure some more.

But the way my brain works, I also managed to pick up other information like heat exchangers are not just for heating, valve train geometry can be simple and complex at the same time, and how to weigh connecting rods (1 gram!) I also learned that Gumout is an excellent hand cleaner and hand cleaner is an excellent lubricant for installing windows. Which is NOT to say that one should lubricate one's window seals with Gumout.

All in all, it was a long day ( 9 to 8 ) but it really seemed to fly by. I could go for another Colin visit but that would probably border on cruel and unusual punishment for him. So I'm going through my notes (a lot which Colin did himself - complete with illustrations) and banging my brain around trying to internalize the file cabinet of information he tossed my way.

Thanks again Colin. It was fun, except the sitting in the corner part.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:37 pm

Bookwus wrote:Hiya All,

So......Colin moseyed on over to my place on Tuesday. Either he has a very good memory for addresses or he is keeping meticulous records because he drove to my place without asking for the address. Maybe it's his extensive system of spies, stooges and lackeys.
I emailed Colin your address after we got back from the Lucky Lab on Monday night...so, YES! I'm the spy, stooge and lackey. :drunken:
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:44 pm

So Colin: my buddy in Eugene is still hoping to hear from ya. Its Type 3 mecca over there...

:compress:
Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:27 am

Amskeptic wrote:
MeyerII wrote:So Colin: my buddy in Eugene is still hoping to hear from ya. Its Type 3 mecca over there...

:compress:
I will be dealing wit dat "buddy" o youse when I gets to dealing wit him, kaPICHE, PAL? Hey lilmissZORA, whaddUP witcha singing? Youse wanna a canary to go wit dat? We can make'm sing REEL GOOD if ya know whaddeyemean. . .
Itinerant Stooge
Outstanding.

=D>
Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.