Clacky Camping Catastrophe

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Clacky Camping Catastrophe

Post by Kubelwagen » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:14 pm

...and it was all going so well. Contacted Hambone last week and got the specs on a spot out along the Clackamas watershed, site of last year's birthday bash.

So, midday Friday kids (11 and 3) headed out on our own. Vanagon running like a top (dizzy gremlins held at bay, perhaps by the lovely sunshine). We find the spot, nobody there - perfect. Set up camp way back at the end of the road, among old growth and solitude. Bit of a hike to look 'round and make plans for the morrow, dinner. Some chatting with the boy after the girl's in bed. Sitting up while they settle drinking a beer with just enough skeeters to keep me awake - less than in my back yard at home in fact.

Lovely night's sleep - my first night in the top of the Adventurewagen as the wife and I usually sleep downstairs.

Breakfast, nice day shaping up, then...GRIND/CRACK/POP and PAIN!. Threw my (*&^(&) back. Bending over to get a *(*& plate. Lots and lots of pain. Leaned against the van for awhile then tried to go ahead and carry on with the day. Took a wrong step a bit later and I was done. Managed to get into one of our folding chairs, sitting there wondering what the hell to do.

Might still be there if this guy hadn't come by and mostly carried me into the VW. Thankfully it was my *right* leg that was mostly immobile so I was able to shift and just mash the gas down.

Got home, couldn't walk. Went to ER, got morphine and they kept me at Prov till Monday afternoon. MRI shows "tears" around my lumbar vertibrae but no burst disk and no surgery.

Been on my back most of the week, but with physical therapy am getting back on my feet.

Scary stuff being out in the woods with your kids and not able to stand up! :pale:
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Re: Clacky Camping Catastrophe

Post by midatlanticys » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:54 pm

Kubelwagen wrote:...and it was all going so well. . . . . Might still be there if this guy hadn't come by and mostly carried me into the VW. . . . . Scary stuff being out in the woods with your kids and not able to stand
up! :pale:
Phew!! you must have some great angels that brought "this guy" out of the woods to help get you and the kids home safe!! Yep, scarey stuff indeed!! Good luck getting the lumbar tears healed!!
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:10 am

Kubel, that is a pain, literally. I sure hope you get back and right. Never forget from now on it will be work to keep the back as painless as possible. You will have to keep on it like a diabetic, so get the mind set now. You can do it.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.