Bear Proofing a VW Camper

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:54 pm

tristessa wrote:Beer Proofing a VW Camper" .. which I have no interest in.
:pale:
That would be wrong...Probably immoral somehow.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Hippie wrote:I was out there when that happened. In fact, the rangers blew by us with the lights and sirens on, on the way to the campsite.
Those folks were all in tents. They banned all tent camping in the park until the bear was caught and destroyed.

The New York Times reported that no food was in the tent. That is scary. Still the odds of a bear killing you are pretty slim.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:06 am

Ya. About like being struck by lightning. Still they recommend bear spray (bear strength pepper spray) if you do much hiking.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:30 am

chitwnvw wrote:The New York Times reported that no food was in the tent. That is scary. Still the odds of a bear killing you are pretty slim.
I've seen a lot of fear recently about bears and camping, and I'll say here what I've said elsewhere:
Since 1900, somewhere between 100 and 150 people have been killed by bears in North America. Between one and two people a year. Every year 40,000 people are killed driving in this country. Assuming you don't smear bacon grease all over the outside of your bus, far (FAR) and away the most dangerous part of your camping adventure is the drive there.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:13 am

whc03grady wrote:
chitwnvw wrote:The New York Times reported that no food was in the tent. That is scary. Still the odds of a bear killing you are pretty slim.
I've seen a lot of fear recently about bears and camping, and I'll say here what I've said elsewhere:
Since 1900, somewhere between 100 and 150 people have been killed by bears in North America. Between one and two people a year. Every year 40,000 people are killed driving in this country. Assuming you don't smear bacon grease all over the outside of your bus, far (FAR) and away the most dangerous part of your camping adventure is the drive there.
=D>
There has to be something promordial in the fear people have of bears that makes them irrational. With bears a little common sense goes a long way. I'd worry more about meth labs

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:51 pm

whc03grady wrote:...far (FAR) and away the most dangerous part of your camping adventure is the drive there.
And since the Freakanomics guys have analyzed drunk driving miles and you practically have to drive around the globe 20 times before you get in fender bender drunk...by the odds, I think we are all good and will live to a ripe old age! :cheers: Especially if we don't drive shit faced.