Superior, WI (pic heavy)

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

Superior, WI (pic heavy)

Post by sped372 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:36 am

We just got back yesterday from a five day stint up north. Beautiful country. Here's a small sampler.

Throttle linkage started acting up so I bummed a smear of grease from this place on the way up:

A few hours later we had made it to Pattison Falls State Park. There's a nice section of the flowage which creates a small "lake" and swimming area:

And, of course the Big and Little Manitou Falls. The larger of the two is the biggest in WI and the fourth largest east of the Rockies:

The hike to Little Manitou was pretty cool, along a fast moving section of the river with many rapids.

Water levels were near record highs due to all the rain we've been having. We planned ahead and picked up the famed Wal-Mart canopy and it was actually pretty nice getting to sit outside during the sprinkles.

We've gotten into summer but near the great lake spring still felt like it was getting started. Plenty of early wildflowers and two nights down to 42 degrees.

After a couple days of lounging we headed to Amnicon Falls. There were many, many smaller falls along a mile or so of river. It was pretty awesome getting to climb all over the place and check them all out up close and personal. I'd definitely recommend a visit to this park just for the experience.

This entire area is situated along a fault line that caused an upheaval leading to the falls.

We even grilled out next to one of the falls and enjoyed the soothing background noise.

On our reluctant journey home we experienced a hiccup. We were about four miles north of Mellen when the bus just flat out died. Clutch in, select neutral, look for a flat spot. Oil level - good, temperature - good, fuel pump - what the?

The pivot shaft for the pump was hanging precariously out of the body, only about 1/16" was still in the casting. I'd already had to fix a loose nipple on this pump and was pretty upset that something like this would happen with only about 8,000 miles on it. The shaft was completely smooth, didn't even have circlip grooves or anything. I'm not sure what was supposed to hold it in.

I pulled the pump and we began looking for possible solutions. We ended up scavenging two snaps from the front curtain and two hose clamps from the air cleaner pre-heat hose. The snaps made nice little 'cups' over each end of the pivot shaft and the clamps snugged things down to prevent them from moving. It looked like something out of Mad Max but we didn't have much choice. As I was fiddling with it the other nipple fell out so I JB-Quick welded it in as well. What the heck.

Well it worked. We drove another 290 miles home and didn't have any other issues. I'm adding an original fuel pump to my to buy list. These aftermarket parts have me depressed. This one was from NAPA and actually looked pretty decent to me, I liked how it closely resembled the original pump and the casting seems nice.

All in all it was a great long weekend. I'll probably change the oil and adjust the valves again since we're still in the early mileage on this engine.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:07 am

Awesome!!!
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Re: Superior, WI (pic heavy)

Post by BumbleBus » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:34 pm

sped372 wrote: Image
Nice ghetto road side repair! =D>

'72 Sierra Yellow Campmobile

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:49 pm

MacGruber!

I kept thinking that and hoping it wouldn't end like all of his segments... KABOOM!
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Nice one brova!

beautiful pics BTW. Wisco is my home state and im looking forward to getting back there in early August. first stop, the "new" (to me) Ale Asylum on the east side of Madison.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:06 am

Nice Sped. Was the Patterson State Park Campground packed to the gills or could a guy show up without a reservation and have a reasonable chance of getting a spot? We are considering it for July 10th or 11th. I took my wife (the girlfriend) on our first camping trip to Patterson. Great photos!
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:20 am

BellePlaine wrote:Nice Sped. Was the Patterson State Park Campground packed to the gills or could a guy show up without a reservation and have a reasonable chance of getting a spot? We are considering it for July 10th or 11th. I took my wife (the girlfriend) on our first camping trip to Patterson. Great photos!
I believe there were four or five sites left when we showed up on Saturday afternoon (we had reservations). If you could make it early you'd probably have a shot. I'd give the park a call and ask their opinion.

We thought sites 47 and 24 were the best... there were quite a few that we didn't like. Good luck.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:24 pm

Great pix. Really looks wild. How far north? Lotsa pines I see.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:47 pm

hambone wrote:Great pix. Really looks wild. How far north? Lotsa pines I see.
It's almost as far north as you can go in WI. The two parks are pretty close together.

Here's a link to a map.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:21 pm

Beautiul pictures Sped! I love Wisconsin and I've never even been that far north.
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m