Lake Superior Circle Tour

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed May 05, 2010 6:15 pm

MeyerII wrote:Make sure you find a pasty shop! There's probably still one in Hancock. Marie's deli might still be in Houghton too. Yummmmmm.

I have not heard of PASTY in years! Back when the internet was young, I found a recipe for them and made some (MINUS the bega, yuck)and the story of the miners that ate them, and how you heated them up on a shovel. I could eat them in a Bus, I could eat them on a truss, I would eat them in a Ghia, I might eat them and watch "Mamma Mia". Naw, cool trip though, love the lakes, as my sig file show by all the shipwrecks I have read about.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Re: Lake Superior Circle Tour

Post by chitwnvw » Wed May 05, 2010 8:31 pm

BellePlaine wrote:The lake itself is only 1,300 miles in circumference.
Only! Can I go? I love the UP. I love swimming in Superiors chilly waters in late August. It is a sea.

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu May 06, 2010 6:13 am

This trip sounds really cool. I want to go.

I did the Lake Michigan circle with my family when I was about 12. It's one of the most memorable trips we ever took.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Thu May 06, 2010 6:23 am

Well, we could meet up in the UP/ South Shore of WI around July 7 - 9th. Otherwise, if this trip goes well, we should all try the Lake Michigan Circle Tour next summer. This is going to be the first major camping trip in the bus since I got it. I imagine that it's going to build my confidence in it's reliability and my ability to preform roadside repairs.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu May 06, 2010 6:36 am

Great trip idea. :cheers: Isn't it neat how having a goal can make a road trip so much more fun?
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:23 am

BellePlaine wrote:Well, we could meet up in the UP/ South Shore of WI around July 7 - 9th. Otherwise, if this trip goes well, we should all try the Lake Michigan Circle Tour next summer. This is going to be the first major camping trip in the bus since I got it. I imagine that it's going to build my confidence in it's reliability and my ability to preform roadside repairs.
My experience has been, if you plan ahead for things to go wrong and bring spare parts you probably won't need them. If you don't, well, things may get hairy. We're lucky and have three cars that have essentially the same engine so I usually borrow a distributor and fuel pump from one of the others if we set out on a long trip. Other stuff is cheap enough to always have on hand (plugs, points, cables, belts, etc.).

Expect that something will go wrong, even if it's just minor. These are old cars. Just don't panic and like you said, develop your roadside McGyver skills. It's all part of the journey.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:14 am

Today is the day that we leave on our 1,600 mile journey to the lake and back! My gusher oil leak is fixed, the bus is running to the best of my ability, and since this is our first real road trip in "Spiderman" I'm 95% excited and 5% Freaked Out of My Mind! Actually, it's the other way around but I can't let on to my wife.

I'm going to check the valves one last time and finish packing. We leave after the wife gets off of work! Yehaw!

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:38 am

Remember to share some photos. And have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:45 am

Awesome!!...Have fun!
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:28 am

Safe travels and have a GREAT time!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:24 am

Sending more positive midwestern bus vibes your way. Have a blast.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Love the UP...

Post by jimbear » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:41 pm

I went camping in the UP when I was a kid and I long to get back. It has been 25 years + since my last camping visit and I need to get my girls in on the beauty and splendor of that country. Good roads to ya...

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:15 pm

...and we made it!

9 days, three states, two countries, and 1776 miles in total! The bus ran great without any major issues or mechanical failures. I have a new sense of confidence and comfort with my bus after this trip. And I should add that there is nothing like a slow 1975 VW camper to bring a family together as well. We all have been rewarded. Here's a stats and a few pics:

Day 1: Jay Cooke State Park, Carlton, MN. 184 miles

Day 2: Judge CR Magney State Park, Grand Marais, MN. 148 Miles.

Day 3: Rainbow Falls Provincial Park, Rossport, ON. 202 miles.

Day 4: Rabbit Blanket Lake Campground, Lake Superior Provincial Park, Wawa, ON

After we left Rossport, I was desperately low on gas (petrol if you are in Canada!) so we stopped at the first filling station we passed. It happened to be owned by this guy... Image
...who serenaded our wives and gave us free bottled water. Image

Day 5: Brimley State Park, Brimley, MI 146 miles.

Day 6: Van Riper State Park, Ishpeming, MI 239 miles.

Day 7: Ft. Wilkins State Park, Copper Harbor, MI. 118 miles.

Day 8: Lake Superior County Park, Saxon, WI. 186 Miles.

Day 9: Spirit Mountain Campground, Duluth, MN. 152 Miles.

Day 10: Home. 196 miles. 1,776 Miles roundtrip.

:flower:

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:12 pm

Nice, Belle. You've shown off our region, gorgeous. Can't wait to camp with you! Your kids look surly now and then! LOL.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:40 pm

Very nice... glad you had a nice time. I like how the bus gets progressively dirtier through the photos... reminds me of our travels. You start out all nice and neat and by the end you and your vehicle have settled into a more relaxed state.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX