Sylvester in the Islands, Mon!!!

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Sylvester in the Islands, Mon!!!

Post by Sylvester » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Ah Mon, but not those Islands of rum drinks and blue seas, the wife and I packed up the Bus and headed to the islands of Lake Lanier, not too far from Atlanta. My original idea was to camp in the hills of North Georgia, but sweet Georgia Brown all the state parks were crammed solid, I mean I called 8 and all were full as of last week. However, with a little karma and positive vibes, I remembered the private campground at Lake Lanier. Colin can attest that our poor reservoir was 20 feet low until the floods of late summer hit us, and now this near empty campground had a few people in it, including us. It was so good to get back in the woods, with all the leaves turning I didn't miss the mountains at all. Here we are just getting here, this was part of the campground shut down, all of it is surrounded by the lake.

This is our campground. We had no one around us at all, and basically had this cove to ourselves.

This is the cove, very big lake too.

Here is the Bus at night, I tell you having these string lights helps at night, unless you don't want to be seen.

We got some pictures on the way out, I think all those Colin shots of the Road Warrior makes you think of ways to put the Bus in the shot, well and Peter with the wide angle shots he does too.

This is a nice place, we will come back with a 2 person kayak, the bikes and stay a few days. What an awesome weekend.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:39 pm

Beautiful.

I wish there were "mostly to yourself" spots nearby in California. The price I pay for living in the greater Bay Area....
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:41 pm

Beautiful, I love the fall colors. It's been an especially beautiful fall here this year.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:01 am

Dayum that's nice! Wish I wuz back in Atlanta. :pale:

Here, the leaves are long gone and we got grey. Nothin but grey. :pukeleft:

Well, nearly. Here's last week along Kootenay Lake.

"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:24 am

glasseye wrote:Here's last week along Kootenay Lake.

Good grief Charlie brown, sue wish i could get shots like that. Really I think of Ansel Adams when I see your pictures GE. You see angles And locations, I see leaves. All I can tell you all is take pictures, get a digital camer and take lots of pictures. And back them up too, I lost a hard drive last year and with it 100's of pictures. Hey GE, why don't you do a picture contest, fall and Busses. Colin ain't allowed, a shot with BobD would steal the show anyway.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:53 am

Looks like a beautiful place to camp.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

-John
Keep it acoustic.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:54 pm

Strikes me that that was a badass thread hijack. My apologies, Sylvester.

Nothing wrong with your pictures AT ALL. I did mean to say that your pix made me want to go camping, but that it was too late here for that.

Me posting my images on someone else's largely photographic thread is shitty behaviour.

Again, my apologies.

Peter
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:47 pm

glasseye wrote:Me posting my images on someone else's largely photographic thread is shitty behavior.

Again, my apologies.

Peter
Oh pshaw! I thought nothing of the kind! I invited your pictures, heck maybe even drag a few new ones out! Really I aspire to your talent, it gives me something to shoot for, get it? I go for the image and color also, you make it look effortless.

Don't mind the gorilla tape!

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:39 pm

Ritter wrote:Beautiful.

I wish there were "mostly to yourself" spots nearby in California. The price I pay for living in the greater Bay Area....
You should let us know if you ever want to camp up in Covelo. That would be a "yourself" spot instead of "mostly to yourself".
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:52 pm

What a beautiful lake! I just love the blue color of your bus. It reminds me of Crest toothpaste and the hub =D> cap flare is one-of-a-kind.
-'72 Westy-

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:04 am

Thanks, Sylvester. Fall is long gone here. We've had about a week of bare trees. :pukeleft: Won't be so bad once they fill with snow, but definitely not my favorite time of year.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:52 am

Oregon72 wrote:What a beautiful lake! I just love the blue color of your bus. It reminds me of Crest toothpaste and the hub =D> cap flare is one-of-a-kind.
Hub caps is what I do!

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:14 pm

How did we ever live with crappy cameras and film? My digital was going dead, so my wife got a disposable too. Here I am in the morning, with the disposable. Compare that to the pictures above, blah. But yes, that water was GREEN, must have been a lot of algae in that cove.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:09 am

And one more, Rapture Bus Love!

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:04 pm

Get a room!

-John
Keep it acoustic.