IAC 2009 Midwestern Fall Extravaganza!

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:52 pm

that sounds like a cool trip. And a swap meet right after? what a great weekend.

So her favorite car is a 412?

-Barry

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:50 pm

I agree, this place does deserve an extended stay. We had a great time catching up with everyone, and even met a few new friends. Thank you all!

Most of my pictures from the campground turned out blurry, but here are a few that I came away with...

1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:55 pm

justgimmecoffee wrote:So her favorite car is a 412?

-Barry
Apparently so.

More roomy than the squareback wagon, she explained. I tried to tell her of the difficulties of finding parts. "But what about the t34 Ghia you like?"

She has a point.

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:01 am

I didn't know what to expect from this campground, but I was pleasantly surprised. The camping spots were large and privately spaced apart. Outside of the noise we were making, the place was very quiet. I’d say this is the best campground I’ve seen in northeastern IL, at least so far.

We were the first to arrive and had a great spot up front, tucked back into the trees. The other VW campers came driving in over the afternoon. mattg arrived about 10 minutes after we set up. I couldn't see the road, but the sound of the Type IV engine gave him away. We met for the first time and I had a good chance to look over his beautiful 77 Westfalia. Ryno arrived next in his Riviera with his SO, and his friend Chris was driving a custom 84 Westy. chitwnvw came out a little later with his family in the new 75 hardtop camper. Manfred and his GF were there by sunset in the 78.

It was nice to start putting the IAC names to their faces. We had a great time the night drinking beer around the campfire. We don't get to do this enough. By midnight the party broke up and people settled in for the night. We all planned to get up early in the morning to attend the nearby VW Fest. Thanks again to everyone for the beer and enjoyable weekend. I’m looking forward to the next Midwest campout. Hopefully we’ll get to meet some of the other DBG members from WI. Turk, Yonder & Blotto, you’ll have to make it next time…
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:31 am

It was a great campsite! I didn't see one spider web in the bathroom. We had a great time as well. I wish I could have gotten there earlier, but it couldn't be avoided. I haven't met a nice group of people in a long time. =D>
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:01 am

You guys are awesome for getting the Midwest contingent together. Please keep it up.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:01 pm

We had a fun time as well. When I get back from Seattle I'll post up some pics....
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:03 pm

It's about damn time you guys did this, and picked a really nice spot. There is still time for an October camp you know.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:22 pm

hambone wrote:It's about damn time you guys did this, and picked a really nice spot. There is still time for an October camp you know.
Speaking of:

October 2nd through the 4th. The spot The Wooded Wonderland in Galena, IL

http://www.woodedwonderland.com/

I think, so far it's my crew and Hippie's, but anyone that can make it is welcome.

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:24 pm

I had a great time meeting everyone. Definitely a good group of people and great set of buses. By midnight it was time to shut things down - As usual I did not take any pictures but at least there were some shots of the buses. The campground was very nice and by nightfall the mosquitos had dissappeared - either that or the alcohol was starting to kick in. I am looking forward to the next get together. How about those coyotes that night - they sounded like they were right next to my bus. If I wasnt so tired (wink wink) I would of completely woken up. Anyone remember meeting a guy named bubbles later in the evening?
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:04 pm

mattg wrote: Anyone remember meeting a guy named bubbles later in the evening?
Holy fu*k boys!!...we got ourselves a campout!

Ryan

1985 Westfalia

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:09 pm

Ryno wrote:Image
Nice self portrait, Ryno. Don't know why you wear that helmet while driving the bus, but then after Colin's experience who am I to judge.

If it is not raining I am going back to Marengo Ridge this weekend. Soon it will be cold and suck ass, I am living it up now. There are miles of trail there, plus the railway museum and the wild west thing, if we get bored. Mostly I want to get bored and sit in the quiet and read. But we can be alone together...oh, and the black and white dogs.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:22 pm

I thought that campground was pretty sweet. The folks running it were nice too...the pics I took last saturday didn't come out good, too dark by the time I got round to it.

We're departing Sunday morning for a 8 day trip in the bus...can't wait. I promise there will be some dandy pics from that deal.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:36 pm

Ryno wrote:We're departing Sunday morning for a 8 day trip in the bus...can't wait.
Where you going, dude?

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:57 am

chitwnvw wrote:
Ryno wrote:We're departing Sunday morning for a 8 day trip in the bus...can't wait.
Where you going, dude?
Northern Wisconsin and the U.P. somewhere's. Looking for adventure and free camping.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia