Maupin Camping to see the Perseid Meteor Shower

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

flyawaydesigns
Getting Hooked!

Maupin Camping to see the Perseid Meteor Shower

Post by flyawaydesigns » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:52 pm

We're thinking of heading back to Maupin to catch the Perseid Meteor Shower. (We need to speak with Mark to see if he has an opening) But, if any of you are familiar with this yearly event, you know it's one of the most spectacular shows of meteors of the year....and it happens in the summer. A perfect reason to see it while camping in a place where there is no competing light pollution.

Years ago I houseboated annually on Trinity Lake in northern Calif during this event. It was never anything less than a tremendously thrilling experience to see one of nature's finest fireworks shows.

August 12–13: The Perseids

The Perseid shower is a popular display because it offers up to 60 an hour under a summer sky. Showtime usually begins as soon as the radiant (near the Double Cluster in Perseus) clears the horizon, an hour or so before midnight. But not long afterward you'll have competition from a last-quarter Moon. The Perseids' parent comet is 109P/Swift-Tuttle.
The Perseid meteors appear to stream away from their radiant near the border of Perseus and Cassiopeia. And while you're outside on a dark night, don't forget to look for the Double Cluster and the Andromeda Galaxy, two of the easiest "faint fuzzies" to spot with your unaided eyes.

Unfortunately, this is mid-week this year, but maybe with some pre planning others could come along. If enough are interested, maybe it could be a yearly thing........

We have a telescope to bring as well.

Anyone interested??

R and C
Fly Away Designs
Canby, OR
C and R
Handmade VW Bus Rear Tents
www.flyawaydesignsonline.com or flyawaydesigns@yahoo.com

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:59 am

My family already owns me that weekend! But have fun.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:15 am

Nice picture in the Oregonian this morning of the stargazers and their Westies...
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:28 am

Summer term finals week. I swear to go, school owns my soul.

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:36 pm

i will ask my better half sounds like fun :pirate:
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

flyawaydesigns
Getting Hooked!

Post by flyawaydesigns » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:48 pm

71vistacruzer wrote:i will ask my better half sounds like fun :pirate:
We think so too. The sky at night there during the RendezVW was spectacular. It should be the same mid August.

R and C
Fly Away Designs
C and R

CoPilot

Post by CoPilot » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:57 pm

haven't seen a meteor shower sine '98. would love to, but just don't think it'll work out for us. bummer. take pics if you can capture that sorta thing!

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Our campground that weekend will be slammed...and not the "environment" you're accustomed to. There is a large "parking" area about 5-7 miles out of Maupin towards Bend on 197 that has a spectacular full sky view without obstruction of the canyon. It is along the highway...but for a late night of star-gazing would be perfect. Would support many buses...and, even less light polution than you have in Maupin. It'd be the spot I'd go....and may just go if my schedule allows. Keep me posted. If I'm around, I'll go up there for the night. I've seen this shower from the river many times, and it is awesome! Zip, zip zip zip...shooting stars everywhere :cheers:

edit. just checked my schedule and I'm booked for those dates, but looks like I'm free that weekend. This shower lasts for a good week. The peak is the dates you mentioned I'm sure...and since it's mid-week, our campground will be quite. Call us if you want a campsite...otherwise the spot on the hill I mentioned will serve you better for star watching. Mark
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Post by Maz804 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:21 pm

Sounds COOL!
That is certainly something you would want to use the old fashioned FILM camera to capture! Bulb setting for a good 10 minutes WITHOUT all the digital NOISE!
:bounce:

Thinkin' about it...
"I love the curves man... Early Bays got the curves..."

1970 Riviera: Ramona
1969 Safare Camper: Lucy - reduced to parts
1971 Deluxe Transporter: Miles - sold
1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold

flyawaydesigns
Getting Hooked!

Post by flyawaydesigns » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:55 am

deschutestrout wrote:Our campground that weekend will be slammed...and not the "environment" you're accustomed to. There is a large "parking" area about 5-7 miles out of Maupin towards Bend on 197 that has a spectacular full sky view without obstruction of the canyon. It is along the highway...but for a late night of star-gazing would be perfect. Would support many buses...and, even less light polution than you have in Maupin. It'd be the spot I'd go....and may just go if my schedule allows. Keep me posted. If I'm around, I'll go up there for the night. I've seen this shower from the river many times, and it is awesome! Zip, zip zip zip...shooting stars everywhere :cheers:

edit. just checked my schedule and I'm booked for those dates, but looks like I'm free that weekend. This shower lasts for a good week. The peak is the dates you mentioned I'm sure...and since it's mid-week, our campground will be quite. Call us if you want a campsite...otherwise the spot on the hill I mentioned will serve you better for star watching. Mark
Mark, we are hoping the meteor shower will be as great as it always is. We are thinking we'd like to be there for the peak of the shower in mid-week. From what you say, you think the campground will be quiet during that time. The other viewing place you mention sounds interesting and we might like to go with you one night to view from there (if you are available).

I will dig around for your phone number and give you a call to set it up soon.

We're looking forward to coming your way again.

Rick and Carman
C and R

flyawaydesigns
Getting Hooked!

Post by flyawaydesigns » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:46 pm

I finally spoke with Mark and our spot is now reserved for Tues the 11th thru Thurs the 13th....that should align with the peak of the shower.

Hopefully, as the weather changes, the skies will be clear.......

If others are interested, come see it with us. We hope to see you there.

Rick and Carman
Fly Away Designs
C and R

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:31 pm

Fill us in when the cat comes around.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Maupin for Perseids

Post by mentalQtip » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:59 pm

Well, it looks like the Orrs are going to make it to Maupin for at least the night of the twelth. We have been disappointed in previous viewing in that wherever we were the clouds were in the way. Hopefully this will be awesome.
We were warned that mosquitos are very bad at the viewing area so anyone should be prepared. We sure will.
Rick and Carman we hope to see you there.

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Perseids

Post by mentalQtip » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:37 pm

Whooooops. Looks like we're not gonna make it after all. Life getting just to hectic get away.
Oh, well. Maybe mext time.

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:08 am

we will be on the coast spreading ashes :pale: but yau all have fun i wish i could be there :pirate:
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.