Deer Hunting Season

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk

Deer Hunting Season

Post by turk » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:45 pm

I heard it started in Michigan for firearms. I've never hunted but I would like to try. First I need a good gun? Anybody have a suggestion?
I like the whole idea of getting my meat from deer.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:11 pm

I don't have any real suggestions on rifles. I still use a hand me down that my dad and grandfather used to use. It's a classic 300 Savage. Back when they used the good heavy steel to make firearms.

Keep in mind that on average only 10% of hunters will fill their tags for a season. Although I hear that the deer population is booming in the east. I've gone the past four years and have yet to get a buck.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

turk

Post by turk » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:01 pm

I can tell you there DAMN plentiful here! Only observing from a non-hunter's point-of-view they need some thinning in my opinion. I see herds in the city of Chicago and never fail to see them all over the place in the country around it.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:51 am

Funny thing is the deer all vanish during gun season. It was so warm this year I'm betting the numbers taken will be down.

If you want to learn to hunt you need to find someone that will mentor you. Look into a muzzleloader as an alternative to a high powered rifle.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:05 am

Westy78 wrote:I don't have any real suggestions on rifles. I still use a hand me down that my dad and grandfather used to use. It's a classic 300 Savage. Back when they used the good heavy steel to make firearms.

Keep in mind that on average only 10% of hunters will fill their tags for a season. Although I hear that the deer population is booming in the east. I've gone the past four years and have yet to get a buck.
Not here according to the hunters I've listened to talk about it. In the past few weeks I've had around 6 run in front of me going to and from work. Heck I had 3 run in front of me around midnight when I was on my way in this morning. I wish they'd stay the heck off the road. They can be a pain.

I don't hunt so I could care less about them unless they run out in front of me. :angryfire:
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:18 am

gmag69 wrote:
Westy78 wrote:I don't have any real suggestions on rifles. I still use a hand me down that my dad and grandfather used to use. It's a classic 300 Savage. Back when they used the good heavy steel to make firearms.

Not here according to the hunters I've listened to talk about it. In the past few weeks I've had around 6 run in front of me going to and from work. Heck I had 3 run in front of me around midnight when I was on my way in this morning. I wish they'd stay the heck off the road. They can be a pain.

I don't hunt so I could care less about them unless they run out in front of me. :angryfire:
It's against the law to hunt from the road. Those are the really really smart deer.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Re: Deer Hunting Season

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:06 pm

turk wrote:I like the whole idea of getting my meat from deer.
:shock:

Whatever floats your boat, as long as no one gets hurts.

Seriously, I installed some deer whistles last spring. No trouble since. When I have seen deer on the side of the road they high-tail it the other way and look really freaked out.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:11 am

JG thinks the little whistles are scaring the deer...Aint that rich.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:03 am

Gypsie wrote:JG thinks the little whistles are scaring the deer...Aint that rich.
Very funny dood!

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Deer Hunting Season

Post by Sylvester » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:33 pm

LiveonJG wrote:Seriously, I installed some deer whistles last spring. No trouble since. When I have seen deer on the side of the road they high-tail it the other way and look really freaked out.

-John
I want to put this on my Bus to get deer out of my way:

Of course, it works for pesky Atlanta traffic too.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:59 pm

LOL! I see deer sausage in Sylvester's future.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:17 pm

Man, look at the rifleing in the bore!!!

Is that on the front of a warthog?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:38 pm

spiffy wrote:Man, look at the rifleing in the bore!!!

Is that on the front of a warthog?
Right you are Spiffy! Quote:"Its primary built-in weapon is the 30 mm GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling gun. One of the most powerful aircraft cannons ever flown, it fires armor-piercing shells. In the original design, the rate of fire was selectable, 2100 rounds per minute in the low setting, or 4200 in the high setting."

I want to be the first on my block to own one, then be the only one on my block. OK, back to the deer season stuff. I am never serious.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

turk

Post by turk » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:51 am

RussellK wrote:Funny thing is the deer all vanish during gun season. It was so warm this year I'm betting the numbers taken will be down.

If you want to learn to hunt you need to find someone that will mentor you. Look into a muzzleloader as an alternative to a high powered rifle.
I wonder if they know. I havn't seen them. I've only been in the city and they aren't threatened here.

I like your idea about muzzle loaders. I know next to nothing about guns. So, I will read up on them in the meantime. Unfortunately I won't be hunting this year as my mentor in Michigan won't be seeing me till probably spring.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:03 am

RussellK wrote:
gmag69 wrote:

It's against the law to hunt from the road. Those are the really really smart deer.
Actually if you're in a wheelchair I believe they'll let you road hunt here in certain areas. That don't stop some people from doing it though.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.