Put your Camping tips here

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Mon May 07, 2007 1:48 pm

Being compulsive about bacteria/raw meat handling, I usually bring along a few dispoable un-powdered latex gloves to handle my raw meat with (OK cool it you SICK BASTARDS :pirate: :pirate: ). That way, I don't need to run and wash my hands afterwards and feel like I am contaminating everything I touch beforehand.

It is however not the most eco-friendly thing to do :pale: :pale: .
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 07, 2007 2:37 pm

Mr Blotto wrote: I usually bring along a few dispoable un-powdered latex gloves to handle my raw meat with. That way, I don't need to run and wash my hands afterwards . . . .
EWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon May 07, 2007 3:07 pm

I keep 3-4 pieces of 2x4 in the bus for camping. They make great levelers when your camping spot isn't! Even better, they fit perfectly under the passenger-side seat pedestal.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Mon May 07, 2007 3:30 pm

bretski wrote:I keep 3-4 pieces of 2x4 in the bus for camping. They make great levelers when your camping spot isn't! Even better, they fit perfectly under the passenger-side seat pedestal.
But that's where I keep my "emergency brake" (wedge of firewood...) :geek:
Love your bus.

77 Westy

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon May 07, 2007 3:39 pm

1. If you sleep in your bus in the cold, always keep a couple windows open to vent the moisture in the air from your breath... it's better to have it colder and drier than a little warmer but damp.

2. Wet wipes are superior to toilet paper in every way.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon May 07, 2007 7:44 pm

77_Bus_Girl wrote:But that's where I keep my "emergency brake" (wedge of firewood...) :geek:
C'mon, it's damp up there in BC...burn that e-brake!
:-p
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Mon May 07, 2007 7:53 pm

Just added a T to my Westy propane tank (BEFORE the regulator...or it doesn't work! Thanks, Hal) so that I can run my Coleman stove or BBQ off the tank w/o having to carry and extra small tank....hate tossing those small coleman bottles in the trash.

A rug to place inside and a larger rug to put on the ground outside the door...keeps things more tidy and a good place to wipe your feet before you soil your floor.

Good food, good beer.
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Hippopotabus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hippopotabus » Mon May 07, 2007 8:16 pm

Carne asada from Kennedy's Market... While I have no direct experience - I understand they'll process yer order on-line and ship ANYWHERE - I keep seeing the signs www.kennedyskarne.com all over the Imperial Valley... They do chiken too Just order the cheap stuff - aka "diezmillo"... the $2 more a pound stuff is good, but why?
I'll take me some of that Kennedy's Carne! When Jim delivered the Hippo (engine rebuild) he and his wife brought me a pound of this stuff. Just finished off the last of it about 2 weeks ago. Best damn Carne Asada in the all of California.

vwbuff
Getting Hooked!

Post by vwbuff » Tue May 08, 2007 4:34 am

For short legged folks, one of those plastic fold up step stools works
great and they fit nicely behind passenger seat.Most RV shops sell
them. Also @ Go-Westy

Wayne
Nova Scotia
77 Riviera 2.0L FI Boston Bob
71 Ghia

vintage vdubbers

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue May 08, 2007 5:30 am

I keep my firewood under the Bus (and well away from the fire obviously) in case it rains during the night.

Rob

solexes@hotmail.com
Getting Hooked!

Post by solexes@hotmail.com » Tue May 08, 2007 7:57 am

5) We just scored a Coleman fancy-schmancy "drippin' water over yer coffee grounds" mosheen for the propane stove. Looks just like that one you might have at home, except it works over your camp stove. No difficult exercise, no unpleasant bending, wrestle poodles and win after a fine cuppa STFU in the morning at the campsite. Roust me afore I've had my coffee in the morning, and you best be sportin' Kevlar (tm) there, Turbo
I scored one of these for 29.95 at Target in Sierra Vista AZ (they couldn't sell it).

Lesson one - MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN IT BEFORE YOU USE IT --- follow the instructions - otherwise your first four pots of coffee taste like plastic. It's also kinda slow to brew - but it is GREAT to have drip coffee in the morning. I finaly got mine working at Jerome 06. Heading to Jerome 07 in the 78 - hopefully.

LeeE
I'm New!

Post by LeeE » Tue May 08, 2007 8:48 am

When your household TP roll gets to the same size as a 13oz cofffee can (I use a plastic Folgers can) insert into the can and remove the cardboard tube. You can pull out as much as you need from the center and it's always dry.

A folding pruning saw is handy for cutting fallen limbs to size

2 alligator clips and a length of string - clip one end to the mattress and the other to your pillow so you can pull it back up if you drop it from upstairs (in later Westys)

Fold a mylar "space blanket" to fit in your cooler, helps keep ice longer. Frozen milk jugs last longer than bag ice and are drinkable when they thaw.

A French Press works great for coffee and is quicker than anything else I've tried.

Just a few things that have worked for me.
LeeE

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue May 08, 2007 9:21 am

Best thing I've done is put shelves in the "closet" next to the sliding door in the Westy. Or spend $43.50 at Rei for a tarp ($3.50) and two poles ($20ea) to make a side canopy.

We are ready for armageddon at any moment. At all times the westy has: Propane, two stoves, grill, week of food, water, games, toys, 0-degree mummy bags, heater, pots, pans, plates, utensils, rolling papers, buds, garbage bags, paper towels, tools, hatchet, knives....
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue May 08, 2007 10:20 am

2nd vote for the french press =D>
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

CASEY79WESTFALIA
Getting Hooked!

Post by CASEY79WESTFALIA » Tue May 08, 2007 10:38 am

A few thing I always do:

1.Make sure I park on a very flat surface or else the fridge drain can leak sideways and soak you carpet and rust your floors and make for a very miserable night.

2. Before the trip put ziplock bags in you house fridge filled with ice so when you are ready to leave for your trip you have some nice ice packets for the frige to keep everything surrounded by ice but also will not get things watery (lunch meat).

3. Add a coat hanger halo to the inside of the back hatch, so that when it is opened you can clip a shower curtain to it and have some privacy!

4.Always put chocks behind your wheels just in case the car decides to roll while you are sleeping or making sweet sexy time! :bounce:

5. Bought a nice ezy up tent that is just as wide as the sliding door and makes for a perfect tent. paid 60.00. helps to have a place to hangoutside even in the rain!
79 Westfalia "Mantis"