Blue Mounds SP WI

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

yondermtn
Old School!

Blue Mounds SP WI

Post by yondermtn » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:03 am

We took advantage of the warm sunny weather and headed up to Blue Mounds State Park just West of Madison.

We left at about 2pm and arrived at about 5pm. A little traffic on I90 near Rockford and some more on the Beltline in Madison.

On Friday morning the Ranger said there were about 15 sites available. When we arrived they all seemed to be taken. We were lucky enough to run into a family just arriving and their friends were unable to make it Friday night and were were able to use their empty site.

The next morning we had to find another site. There were 2 sites scheduled to be vacant so we were able to snag site 66. Arguably the best site in the campground!

Took a drive to Mt. Horeb for lunch and a scoop of Babcock Ice Cream and then back to camp. We took a short hike to one of 2 towers at the park. The rest of the time was spent relaxing at the site. The weather was amazing. The bus did pretty well on the way up except for a clunking noise. Turned out to be a loose shock mount(new shocks).
We drove home thru New Glarus and stopped at the brewery. Nice place and great scenery.

1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: Blue Mounds SP WI

Post by sped372 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:26 am

Glad you were able to enjoy the weather! 66 looks familiar and I think it's our favorite site there as well (don't have my records in front of me atm). Thanks for sharing!
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Blue Mounds SP WI

Post by Sylvester » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:03 am

yondermtn wrote: Image
Now that looks like a great time. I hate to say this, but when I go camping I find I do little "relaxing". This past weekend when I woke early, I walked the camp in seclusion. In the rain even. I think I should start.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.